Martins

Guest K9

Carbon copy of Bellamy, scores the impossible but rarely hits the back of the net during one-on-ones, still worth keeping him in our ranks

:lol:

they are completely different players.

They are but I would say they are both instinctive, especially in terms of finishing and struggle a bit when they have time to think. Not saying you're wrong it's just a similarity to their games.

definately, but imo by the end of robson's time here bellamy's 1on1's had improved massivley, not that martins' wont of course.

I think Martins one on ones are better than Bellamy's, although Bellamy was more of a team player. I don't think Martin's problems are his finishing, he just needs to be cleverer outside the box.

Bella's more of a team player ? ? ? ?

He was a selfish little s*** who's gob cost us a lot and not just with ref's but with Managers too IE Souness, and its not like he did'nt take shots on when maybe there was better options for a pass.

Martins had a dig when maybe Owen was a better option but he is a striker and if he has to be a bit selfish or he is not going to sore to many goals.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/23/martins-is-close-to-signing-new-united-deal-61634-20804125/

Martins is close to signing new United deal

Apr 23 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

Obafemi Martins

OBAFEMI Martins is on the verge of signing a lucrative new contract as Newcastle United look to fend off any interest in their star players this summer.

Martins future at St Jamess Park has been the source of conjecture because of the presence of a £13m get-out clause agreed when he joined the club from Inter Milan.

But the Nigerian international has agreed to have that escape clause removed from his new deal as he pledges his long-term future to the club on wages of more than £80,000 a week. The 23-year-old, who would have two years left on his present contract in June, is expected to sign the new four-year deal before the end of the season after his advisers insisted last night the important details have already been agreed.

Talks have been progressing well for several weeks and The Journal understands a verbal agreement is already in place, with just a few minor matters to be clarified before Martins signs.

United manager Kevin Keegan will be delighted to know the striker has bought into his vision of the future for the club, particularly as he has intimated he is keen to play for a club that is in the Champions League.

In Nigeria they are calling me, they are asking if I will sign a new contract, said Martins. They say I should just go away, there are a lot of better teams. But they dont understand; if you feel passion for a team, even if they have problems you have to help them out. For now Im still playing here. For now.

They say this because I miss playing Champions League as well, but a lot of players here at Newcastle have played Champions League. Its not only me. Were here now, we have to deal with it and try to help each other. Thats the way Im thinking.

Significantly, one of the key things for the striker is that he believes Newcastle are showing the potential to make their European comeback following Keegans return to the club.

Although Martins has been less prolific than Michael Owen in Uniteds new three-man strikeforce, his pace and trickery are key components of the new formation and the fact he is starting regularly something he did not always manage under former manager Sam Allardyce has helped him develop a bond with Keegan.

For Newcastles manager, though, there is still the challenge of getting Owen to sign a new contract this summer. Although the Newcastle skipper has made plenty of positive noises, he has still not guaranteed he will stay.

That probably has more to do with the fact he has still not heard what the club has to say on the matter in terms of the length of the deal and the wages on offer, but it is likely that, once the Martins talks have finished, chairman Chris Mort will turn his attention to ensuring Owen remains on Tyneside. For now Owen has re-emphasised he is thoroughly enjoying his football at St Jamess Park and insisted there was already a sense of anticipation among the players about what next season could hold.

He explained: Its the oldest cliché in the book, but we really are all in it together. Its nice to play some good football, to get some confidence and its nice to get the fans backing.

And its nice to climb up the table. I couldnt have imagined saying a few weeks or months ago there really is a buzz and anticipation for next season.

In a way we want it to continue because were on a great run, but if we can take these performances and the confidence weve got about us and add one or two top players then its going to be exciting times.

For now Owen and United are focused on making sure they extend their run when they travel to West Ham on Saturday. Were not going anywhere now fearing our opponents, Owen told Newcastle World.

I think he meant on the pitch, in which case he's right.

Guest Stephen927

What did he have to say?

"I'm looking forward to next season under Keegan nearly as much as I'm looking forward to Grand Theft Auto 4 coming out next week! BRRRPPPP!"

:lol: Legend.

'He's a real one-off. I've never handled a player like him,' said Keegan.

he also said "He does fantastic things and he is more of a team player now."

He had our highest pass completion percentage again today, he's looks much better now we're playing with the ball on the floor.

Which interview was this one? There's a decent one on BBC.

It sounded like he was making excuses but he was spot on really. As people have said, the past few weeks will have taken their toll, and it was the first properly hot Saturday that we've had in a while.

He had our highest pass completion percentage again today, he's looks much better now we're playing with the ball on the floor.

yes made much more passes than owen or viduka and much more accurately (90% completion rate) and more adventurous passes too. the other two strikers were fairly anonymous from what i saw on the extended highlights on sky.

Guest prestonj1989

What did he have to say?

"I'm looking forward to next season under Keegan nearly as much as I'm looking forward to Grand Theft Auto 4 coming out next week! BRRRPPPP!"

Where was this interview?

What did he have to say?

Where was this interview?

In Baggio's head.

• 3 weeks later...