Martins

Guest K9

If Owens fit then start him, Owen and Oba with Barton and Jonas will bring us goals.

Martins will be the one giving way though :undecided:

He might drop Duff and go 4-3-3.

Is Butt fit? If not it'll be Guthrie giving way if we're going 4-3-3, can't see him dropping Duff tbh.

If Owens fit then start him, Owen and Oba with Barton and Jonas will bring us goals.

Martins will be the one giving way though :undecided:

Drop Oba for Owen, he would'nt would he? surely its Shola to make way.

Doubt it, Ameobi is performing for JK and I reckon he'll want Owen to play with a large targetman type striker.

Does anyone think when Owen returns he should replace Martins in the side then? If Martins is so bad surely it would make more sense to play Owen alongside Shola or Xisco?

I actually that's a tricky decision in most circumstances, but Martins has been so poor in the last two games. I'd start Martins against Villa, then bring Owen on from the bench. Whoever does best, I'd start the following week.

I'd like to see Owen earn his place, rather than walk straight back in.

He is our top goalscorer & captain I think that means he walks straight back in.

I think he might start on the bench for Villa, as he's coming back from injury. Owen wasn't particularly impressive when he played as a striker last season in any case. His best performances were in a withdrawn role.

He's been playing as a striker this season and still scored 5 goals. Not sure what much else he can do to prove he's still a top striker tbh.

I wasn't really doubting that he's a top striker, I was looking at how he fits in the framework of the team as a whole. He seemed much more effective in the withdrawn role last season I don't think anyone would argue that. Yes he's scored goals this season but then so has Oba but he still comes in for criticism for other aspects of his game doesn't he?

Owen has also been criticised for just being a goal scorer through his career, so there is a question who is the best person to pair him with. I think it might be Shola, whether it will work we'll have to wait and see. Owen's best work last season was with Martins in the side as well as Viduka. Because for all his shitness, Martins stretches teams and creates space for the likes of Owen.

Les Ferdinand backs Oba Martins to lift NUFC

Oct 31 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Obafemi Martins

NEWCASTLE United legend Les Ferdinand has backed Oba Martins to haul the Magpies out of trouble in the Premier League.

And he has welcomed the Nigerian to what he deems the “exclusive No 9 club”.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/10/31/les-ferdinand-backs-oba-martins-to-lift-nufc-72703-22156701/

Guest Sniffer

It shows how limited kinnear is in his vision of the game that he can take martins off and leave ameobi on. As WBA pushed up there were opportunities for a player with pace on the counter which were wasted with ameobi.

It shows how limited kinnear is in his vision of the game that he can take martins off and leave ameobi on. As WBA pushed up there were opportunities for a player with pace on the counter which were wasted with ameobi.

The flip side to that is that if he took off Ameobi, who else could of 'retained possession' in the opposition half? Id hazard a guess at saying that Kinnear sees Xisco as a pacey striker and not a ball retainer....

Martins has got 21 goals in 58 league appearances for us. I think that's a good record all things considered, not forgetting he spent large spells of last season on the wing. Some of the partner's he's had n'all. ??? Sibierski, Dyer and Duff in his first season yet he still managed to score 17 in all competitions.

Martins has got 21 goals in 58 league appearances for us. I think that's a good record all things considered, not forgetting he spent large spells of last season on the wing. Some of the partner's he's had n'all. ??? Sibierski, Dyer and Duff in his first season yet he still managed to score 17 in all competitions.

Its strange becasue for all of his flaws, he still has an admirable goal record in very difficult circumstances. I dont think there are too many strikers out there of his stlye who could get a similar goal record with what we've been doing for the past 3 years.