The Kevin Keegan debate

Guest Knightrider

I don't know what to make of it, myself. Wouldn't want Keegan anywhere near my club as manager, but Geordies are such an odd bunch of fans. You've got next to no patience with managers who try to build up from the back and start from keeping it tight, and I get the impression you'd much rather win 5-4 one week and lose 5-4 the next all season than sneak all 38 games 1-0.

I think Ramos might have fit the bill, but who else is there other than Keegan? Wenger? Rijkaard?

i think you've been reading too many s**** articles about us in the media.

Not really. I mostly just read this board. I'm talking from the perspective of a Liverpool fan here. You DO have little patience with managers relative to us and you do demand attacking football relative to us[\b]. Liverpool fans in the main won't judge a player or manager before his second season; you lot are often baying for blood after a few months. In fairness, Shepherd did have a habit of signing s**** managers, though.

the only thing we demand is improvement,if you do not show the slightest hope of improvement in 7 month at any club the fans will want rid.

I don't know what to make of it, myself. Wouldn't want Keegan anywhere near my club as manager, but Geordies are such an odd bunch of fans. You've got next to no patience with managers who try to build up from the back and start from keeping it tight, and I get the impression you'd much rather win 5-4 one week and lose 5-4 the next all season than sneak all 38 games 1-0.

I think Ramos might have fit the bill, but who else is there other than Keegan? Wenger? Rijkaard?

i think you've been reading too many shite articles about us in the media.

Not really. I mostly just read this board. I'm talking from the perspective of a Liverpool fan here. You DO have little patience with managers relative to us and you do demand attacking football relative to us[\b]. Liverpool fans in the main won't judge a player or manager before his second season; you lot are often baying for blood after a few months. In fairness, Shepherd did have a habit of signing shite managers, though.

Patience ?

You have no idea of what patience is mate. Not knocking you but you think going 17 years without winning the title is some sort of disaster, with a few FA Cups and the European Cup thrown in as consolation.

Thats what johnny means, I think, apologies if it isn't, but this along with the comment about attractive football is what you don't understand. You don't understand that managers who bore the pants off us only last as long as they are winning, and we have got rid of the ones who did this because they were losing games as well as boring the pants off us.

Whats to bad about that ?

If you want to slate us for being frustrated at watching a hugely underachieving club for decades [you do see that ?] and frustration stretching back for nearly 40 years, then fair enough, I'm guilty.

I don't think any of us would really have cared about Allardyces style of play if we were in the top 4, or in the League Cup Final next week, but even realistically, we were increasingly looking at a manager who didn't know what he was doing, even ones who were happy with him when he took the job, like myself.

At the end of the day, everyone tries to understand Newcastle and you can't, you can't unless your one of us, unless you have experienced it yourself to understand.

The media put a biased, stereotypical view on things. They aren't coming from inside the community, they're looking from outside, seeing us and our trigger happy ways and coming to the conclusion that we're fickle. It's not the right view, it's just the accepted view.

KK gets the summer for me (as long as we don't go down! Which I personally don't think we will).

Every manager since Bobby - Souness, Roeder and Allardyce - I've always given them a full Summer window and Pre-Season before I judged them; I believe every manager deserves at least that to prove what they can do.

If things don't pick up at all next season, then it's time to rethink it.

Not really. I mostly just read this board. I'm talking from the perspective of a Liverpool fan here. You DO have little patience with managers relative to us and you do demand attacking football relative to us[\b]. Liverpool fans in the main won't judge a player or manager before his second season; you lot are often baying for blood after a few months. In fairness, Shepherd did have a habit of signing shite managers, though.

Patience ?

You have no idea of what patience is mate. Not knocking you but you think going 17 years without winning the title is some sort of disaster, with a few FA Cups and the European Cup thrown in as consolation.

Thats what johnny means, I think, apologies if it isn't, but this along with the comment about attractive football is what you don't understand. You don't understand that managers who bore the pants off us only last as long as they are winning, and we have got rid of the ones who did this because they were losing games as well as boring the pants off us.

I don't think any of us would really have cared about Allardyces style of play if we were in the top 4, or in the League Cup Final next week, but even realistically, we were increasingly looking at a manager who didn't know what he was doing, even ones who were happy with him when he took the job, like myself.

I understand that completely. For all our cups, in those 17 years we haven't recovered from what Souness did to our club. It's a hell of a lot to expect that Allardyce could sort yours out after that dick's reign with one transfer window, as Roeder hardly brought you forward.

The thing about boring football is, winning or losing, without a great defence you won't win anything, ever. The top sides in the league, and particularly the Champions League, are the ones that concede the fewest goals not the ones that score the most. You think losing 4-3 is better than losing 1-0 but it isn't.

Not really. I mostly just read this board. I'm talking from the perspective of a Liverpool fan here. You DO have little patience with managers relative to us and you do demand attacking football relative to us[\b]. Liverpool fans in the main won't judge a player or manager before his second season; you lot are often baying for blood after a few months. In fairness, Shepherd did have a habit of signing s**** managers, though.

Patience ?

I understand that completely. For all our cups, in those 17 years we haven't recovered from what Souness did to our club. It's a hell of a lot to expect that Allardyce could sort yours out after that dick's reign with one transfer window, as Roeder hardly brought you forward.

The thing about boring football is, winning or losing, without a great defence you won't win anything, ever. The top sides in the league, and particularly the Champions League, are the ones that concede the fewest goals not the ones that score the most. You think losing 4-3 is better than losing 1-0 but it isn't.

It doesn't really matter. Defeat is defeat.

Another point is that Allardyce may have been trying to build the defence, but until you get to that level where your defence is good enough, you can't rely upon it. To succeed, he really should have adapted his ways to play a more attacking style until he had the team and defence to play the way he wanted to play.

At the end of the day, he plunged too early into his new ideas and as a result, lost the plot.

Of course we won't win things without a good defence, but Allardyce was never going to give us it.

Patience ?

You're probably right, apart from the 4-3 comment. I don't subscribe to the fact we didn't win the league during Keegans first time as manager because we had a "bad defence", I just think we werent' quite good enough and experienced enough. We lost - or sold - Venison, the one player who had been there before, with Liverpool, at the back. We also had Schmiechel [?] on loan before he went to manure.

Bad luck, wrong time, whatever. With him in goal, or venison playing, it may have tipped the scales. We were just short. We only conceded 2 goals more than manure and only conceded 9 goals at home. If Keegan had stayed, I'm sure he knew what he needed to get those extra 3 points but we'll never know.

Not really. I mostly just read this board. I'm talking from the perspective of a Liverpool fan here. You DO have little patience with managers relative to us and you do demand attacking football relative to us. Liverpool fans in the main won't judge a player or manager before his second season; you lot are often baying for blood after a few months. In fairness, Shepherd did have a habit of signing shite managers, though.

every fan wants to see good football, even liverpool fans. liverpool fans under the age of say 40 have never seen boring football that happens to be unsuccessful, even football that isnt so attractive still wins bucketloads of trophies, and the kind of football you play under Benitez is miles better and miles more attractive than anything served up under souness, roeder or allardyce. when you are winning the style of play is irrelevant, it only pops up when we're crap. kind of a defeatist attitude if anything 'oh well we're winning fuck all we may as well be entertained'. thats the opposite of demanding and impatient.

99% of newcastle fans would take boring but successful football over exciting but unsuccessful football, but 99% would also take exciting but unsuccessful over boring and unsuccessful. you are lucky, those ever so patient liverpool fans will never have to know about the REAL patience fans of clubs like newcastle have to endure, the kind where you wait decades and still dont win anything.

Patience ?

how many people have to tell you that "no" we don't think losing 4-3 is better than winning 1-0 ?

you also fell for the media shit of NUFC' s shit defence under keegan first time round.

one thing fans fromother clubs shouldn't do when on the forum of another club is lose credibility so quick.........you are doing it.

Patience ?

Potentially losing 4-3 is better than losing 1-0. Same goal difference but more goals scored. Could be worth a position at the end of the season

I was a big fan of KK, still is, but no. I'd ask a counter question to your friend instead; How about £100 million to big Sam, three years of continuety (sp?) and then what?

He would have bought useless players who always fight till the end (but can't pass and shoot)... Next Question?

Guest DarkSchneider

No, I think Sam could do well if given time and money, as well as KK can and hopefuly will. But with him we can enjoy glimpses of nice football.

I just hope he tries Martins & Owen upfront with Emre in CM, without the trio of Smith, Butt and Barton.

Guest Brummiemag

I think I would rather win 5 - 4 one week and lose 5 - 4 the next week. Compared to the football I've seen in recent years this would be fantastic and in any case  I dont suscribe to this winning at all costs mentality. For me Liverpool are one of the most negative and boring teams to watch in the premiership, particularly away from home, they are light years away from playing the sort of free flowing attacking football that Man U and Arsenal deliver on a regular basis and hopefully they will finish outside the top 4 this year

No, I think Sam could do well if given time and money, as well as KK can and hopefuly will. But with him we can enjoy glimpses of nice football.

I just hope he tries Martins & Owen upfront with Emre in CM, without the trio of Smith, Butt and Barton.

He didn't do well with the cash given to him in the summer.

Guest elbee909

I think if someone is just going to get all their views from cliché media bilge, then I don't see the point in regurgitating it here.

Guest Brummiemag

I think I would rather win 5 - 4 one week and lose 5 - 4 the next week. Compared to the football I've seen in recent years this would be fantastic and in any case  I dont suscribe to this winning at all costs mentality.

For me Liverpool are one of the most negative and boring teams to watch in the premiership, particularly away from home, they are light years away from playing the sort of free flowing attacking football that Man U and Arsenal deliver on a regular basis and hopefully they will finish outside the top 4 this year

He didn't do well with the cash given to him in the summer.

He rebuilt the back 4.  We got Beye, Faye and Enrique (who I'm sure will come good) out of it.  Cacapa is a decent squad player, so only Rozenthal really failed and by all accounts we could make a profit on him.

Viduka & Geremi for the money were a signing that most people would have made to boost a small squad.  Barton is debatable.  His off field antics would have put a lot of people off but based on his performances at City I can see why he was signed.  Smith is the one really bad signing he made but given the number of signings he brought in and the money he spent I'd say his success rate is higher than most managers.

I didn't like Sam's style of football but, given what he had to work with, he didn't do that bad in the transfer market.

I think I would rather win 5 - 4 one week and lose 5 - 4 the next week. Compared to the football I've seen in recent years this would be fantastic and in any case  I dont suscribe to this winning at all costs mentality.

For me Liverpool are one of the most negative and boring teams to watch in the premiership, particularly away from home, they are light years away from playing the sort of free flowing attacking football that Man U and Arsenal deliver on a regular basis and hopefully they will finish outside the top 4 this year

No we're not. We're two or three top-quality attacking players away. We've absolutely demolished a few teams this season, but no-one seemed to notice. They were too busy swooning over Man U or Arsenal having beaten someone else by a lesser margin.

I admit that Demento and Wenger are more attack-minded than Benitez, but let's not forget Arsenal defending their way to the CL final in 2006 or Man U coming to Anfield to defend this season. It's not as black and white as all that, and there's more to attacking football than passing the ball around in triangles in front of the opposition defence.

No we're not. We're two or three top-quality attacking players away. We've absolutely demolished a few teams this season, but no-one seemed to notice. They were too busy swooning over Man U or Arsenal having beaten someone else by a lesser margin.

I admit that Demento and Wenger are more attack-minded than Benitez, but let's not forget Arsenal defending their way to the CL final in 2006 or Man U coming to Anfield to defend this season. It's not as black and white as all that, and there's more to attacking football than passing the ball around in triangles in front of the opposition defence.

so you gave someone a hammering while arsenal and man utd could only beat others......convinces me,liverpool are the best.

edit...expletive edited out.

most fans of other clubson here have an idea what they are talking out. wacko reads like a 12yr old sun reader.

How ironic that you appear to have got your opinions on what we want directly from The Sun.

Hard considering I haven't looked at a copy in ten years. My opinions of you are mostly based on reading this board. While a lot of you obviously disagree, I still believe that Newcastle fans lack a bit of patience and have a high expectancy of entertaining football.

For the record, I don't think, nor did I say, that NUFC had a crap defence under KK.

so you gave someone a hammering while arsenal and man utd could only beat others......convinces me,liverpool are the best.

I didn't say we're the best, I said we're not light-years away. Big difference. I expect to get some grief on an oppo board for some of the things I say, but is it too much to ask that you read my posts properly before diving in two-footed?

How ironic that you appear to have got your opinions on what we want directly from The Sun.

Hard considering I haven't looked at a copy in ten years. My opinions of you are mostly based on reading this board. While a lot of you obviously disagree, I still believe that Newcastle fans lack a bit of patience and have a high expectancy of entertaining football.

For the record, I don't think, nor did I say, that NUFC had a crap defence under KK.

I didn't say we're the best, I said we're not light-years away. Big difference. I expect to get some grief on an oppo board for some of the things I say, but is it too much to ask that you read my posts properly before diving in two-footed?

Firstly Rafa is not as good as Fergie or Wenger. But he's a lot better than the last few plonkers we've had around here. So you will understand that we are pleased to get Kev as he is many levels above the dross we've had recently.

Building from the back and keeping it tight is rubbish and utter shite incidentally. Allardyce changed his backline every week, even though he bought most of the players in it. Souness payed money for Boumsong, and oversaw some ridiculous defending. Roeder... really. Would you have him?

Lastly, a win every second week would get us a hell of a lot more points than we'll get this season. So you're damn right I'd take it.