Man Utd reject Newcastle bid for Wes Brown - SSN

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Thats my problem with him, he would be decent.  We've got a lot of players who are decent/solid/do the job whatever you want to say.  Thing is he isn't going to come here and think "right I'm a good player who will provide decent cover for the back four" he's going to think "I was a squad player at Man U I didn't like that so I've come to Newcastle to be a first team regular" now if we have the ambition to achieve highly we can't and shouldn't offer that.  Lots of people are after Big Sam's blood because we aren't where we think we should be, we're 11th in the table it's bad but by no means terrible looking at the last 5 years.  Brown would not be a regular at a club that was pushing for the European Cup (I wont call it the Champions League as its a) not made up of champions and b) not a league) he would be back, up he would be a regular for a club that was say midtable as we have been for too long.  We need to think higher, he for me would just be another Smith (ok I'm biased against Smith, I just think he is the most average footballer I've ever seen) a player who will cost big wages and not have the quality to take us back where we once and in my opinion should be, challenging for the European Cup places.

Been reading the papers have you?..  :rolleyes:

I'd still like to know how he's in talks with Portsmouth when Sir Alex is saying that any bids have been rejected.

ITK indeed.

He can talk to other clubs now about a Summer move can't he?

Hmm, not sure whether it's now or at the end of January. I'm sure someone ITK will help out though ;)

Should just stick a big sign outside SJP. 

"Top 4, dump your rejects here."

Hardly a reject, since Fergie is offering him an improved contract to stay.

Obviously he's not really wanted though, otherwise he'd stay, he loves the club doesn't he?, been there for years.

I'd still like to know how he's in talks with Portsmouth when Sir Alex is saying that any bids have been rejected.

ITK indeed.

He can talk to other clubs now about a Summer move can't he?

Only foreign isn't it?

Brown, who almost played all games so far is out of contract in the summer (free) and Fergie wants to keep him till the end of the season since

Defender Evans today was loaned out to a certain team I won't dare to name here

G. Neville still not back after about 8-9 months out and not the youngest anymore

O'Shea/Simpson are the only fullbacks left and they're not really good.

Spurs bid for Hutton last night, he rejected since he knows Fergie is a big admirer of him and probably only waits on the ManUtd offer, which in turn would make it easier for ManUtd to part ways now with Brown.

Brown can play both at Center/Right Back and IMO would be an upgrade to most NUFC defenders.

Still if I could wish, Campbell, Distin or Hutton itself would do nicely for the Geordies.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Craig asked "is this something you are going to pursue"

Sam  "I'll have to speak to Chris about that"

"I will have to speak to the chairman over that," said Allardyce on Sky Sports News.

"From my point of view, I would like Wes Brown very, very much. A hugely experienced defender coming in would be fantastic.

"From our point of view, we have had a problem of not keeping enough clean sheets and this effectively means we have to score at least two goals to win a football match.

"If we can resurrect that side of our defensive problems with Wes, that would be fantastic. I would have to speak to Chris on that to see whether we can move it forward or whether we can't."

Wait, wait, wait... hold the phone... a whole two goals?! In 90 minutes?! That's outrageous. It can't be done!

"I will have to speak to the chairman over that," said Allardyce on Sky Sports News.

"From my point of view, I would like Wes Brown very, very much. A hugely experienced defender coming in would be fantastic.

"From our point of view, we have had a problem of not keeping enough clean sheets and this effectively means we have to score at least two goals to win a football match.

"If we can resurrect that side of our defensive problems with Wes, that would be fantastic. I would have to speak to Chris on that to see whether we can move it forward or whether we can't."

Wait, wait, wait... hold the phone... a whole two goals?! In 90 minutes?! That's outrageous. It can't be done!

We Cant

How fucking depressing is that. >:(

:rolleyes: If we kept clean sheets, we wouldn't have to score two. That's what he's saying.

If we kept clean sheets we'd probably stay up without having to score any goals. And wouldn't that be fun.

Goals win games.

I know.

But i honestly can't believe you can criticise him for that comment. We're leaking goals like fuck so scrappy 1-0s are few and far between, never mind 3-0s and 4-0s. He's not aspiring to winning scrappy 1-0s all the time, which is what you're perceiving his comments as, they're just not possible regardless.

I know we need attacking players as much as anyone, but i don't blame him for seeing the defense as an area that needs improving.

... on a side-note, i don't especially see Wes Brown the answer to that particular problem... but that's another argument.

Tbh, I think we invite the goals on ourselves.

Exactly, and have done all year. Just having a conversation in another thread with HTL how concentrating on our own game might help us a little more. Allardyce isn't learning. We have better players in defence than last year but they are defending more poorly.

Tbh, I think we invite the goals on ourselves.

Yeah it's certainly a fair comment. And like i said just then, i don't see Brown especially as an answer. He's not that good.

I can agree with what Rodhamiho said to some extent, too. It's not espeically the personnel in defense that is the major problem.

The lack of continuity, understanding and communication between them that lets us down, aswell as the lack of penetrating force ahead of the defense which helps sustain pressure away from them (a quality centre-mid has so many uses :) ). The lack of consistency in terms of line-up stretches as far back as the goalkeeper, and it has hindered our success.

The defense needs improvement but where new recruitments will help, they won't help significantly if they're not of a very high standard. It could even enhance the continuity problem.

Why does he want to resurrect a defensive problem??  See this is where he's going wrong :lol:

Funny, Roeder said almost the exact same thing around this time last year.

...Hope that isnt' an omen.