Stoke City 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 06/01/08 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

Yet again people are desperate for us to play shite so they can take up the "I'm right, you're wrong, I'm mint" tone.

The same people who say wins "paper over the cracks" (e.g. refuse to give any credit)

Appalling conditions, appalling opposition, still in the hat.

Don't need to be desperate for it, its in the bag before kick off.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Yet again people are desperate for us to play shite so they can take up the "I'm right, you're wrong, I'm mint" tone.

The same people who say wins "paper over the cracks" (e.g. refuse to give any credit)

Appalling conditions, appalling opposition, appalling second half performance, still in the hat.

Amended slightly, but other than that, spot on.

Amended and improved.

Stand out poor performances were those two and Rozehnal.

You had ITV on didn't you? Rozehnal?

He was near-on terrible

Howay. I thought he was almost reminiscent of Beckham at times. I mean, those times when he jumped out of tackles on the wing, obviously.

Guest johnson293

I'm watching ESPN and those Geordie fans were clapping BSA... Must of been the clean sheet then...

They are Newcastle supporters, not moaners at negative-online.

;D  :clap:

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

This must be one of those 0-0 away games Big Sam says he loves.  Unfortunately, it only happens against championship sides!  :yikes:

Guest Andrew Flintoff

And for those whinging, have a quick look at Liverpool, Fulham, Derby, Everton, Birmingham, Sunderland, Villa, Spurs, Reading, Blackburn, Bolton, West Ham and Man City who have all failed to reach or the next round or require a replay.

Just what the fuck was Sam thinking, honestly? We were playing well in the first half, it was a matter of time before we scored.

"We're playing well lads. We've played some half-decent stuff on the floor, some nice passages of play, some nice quick passes. But our final ball isn't working. I know! Go straight to the final ball and see how that works."

???

Fucking stupid. Couldn't believe it. Honest to God. Honestly, i thought Sam would learn from his mistakes, but with things like this - jsut what the fuck. It was a CARBON COPY of Man City. First half good, on the floor, pacey, etc - second half, all long ball and utter shit. Madness. What's he thinking?

EDIT: For those criticising the criticisers, yes, i'm happy we're still in the cup and we should go through. But it's another fuxture and we could have so easily won that game. It was so, so, so frustrating, that's all. It's like i videod the Man City match to watch when i got home. Fortunately, Stoke just didn't have the quality.

How did our 15 million pound striker end up so easily kept off that cross?  Wasn't that Owen standing in the middle of the goal mouth with the ball crossing the goal only inches from his toe, yet he was kept off it by a lone Championship level defender?

Owen is 5 foot 6, defender is 6 foot 2...

So???  The ball was rolling along the ground, well below even Owen's knee level.  If anything Owen should have had an easier time because the larger player against him would be less manouverable.

Jesus wept. :lol: The defender was behind him and nudged him from behind.

And Moses brought him a dirty tissue to blow his nose on.....

Thats even worse again..... he's a fecking highly paid, massively expensive Premier League striker, yet he can not out manoeuvre nor stand up to the shoving of a Championship defender.  I mean Owen pretends to be worthy of a top 4 club, yet when in an absolute sitter of a position for a goal he gets out bottled by someone who can't make it in to Wigan.

Stoke's manager saw how intrumental duff was in the first half and as a consequence played the central defender more on the right side to counter this. This kind of tactical nous is what managers are supposed to implement but Sam, as of late, seems clueless. Maybe its the pressure, maybe its dawning on him that his beloved 4-3-3 system cannot work for the toon or maybe he's got down's syndrome and nobody notices it because he wears such nice clothes- either way i'm all in favour of supporting the man but at times (now for instance) the very reason i wanted him to come here alludes me.

Why did we (in general) want him in the first place? I say stick with for at least another season and back him well, if not then its time we secure a certain former lyon and liverpool manager's services.

Given 7 - good

Roze 4 The weakest 6'3 CB ever?

Taylor 7 Good

Faye 8 Excellent. Pretty much faultless performance. A Rock.

Enrique 7 Good in the main one or two minor mistakes.

Duff 5 Poor cretaed little.

Smith 5 poor

Butt 5 poor

Zoggy 7 Our most creative player tried his heart out but inexplicably almost always cut inside.

Owen 5 Poor

Viduka 5 Poor

Lua Lua 7 looked very bright, did far more in his 15 mins than Duff did in his 75

And for those whinging, have a quick look at Liverpool, Fulham, Derby, Everton, Birmingham, Sunderland, Villa, Spurs, Reading, Blackburn, Bolton, West Ham and Man City who have all failed to reach or the next round or require a replay.

half of those teams have spent the season playing good premiership football. We knew this would happen, that's why people are 'whinging'

Anyone else note that Enrique and N'Zogbia never played a single 1-2 with each other?  Every time one or the other would lay it off and start on a run whoever had the ball would turn their back to the sideline.  Infuriating.

One thing i have really noticed lately and even more so tonight is our players don't get to the oppositions byline and cross at all any more. Today Duff was on the RW so always cut inside onto his favoured Left, But even The Zog who used to get in behind defences alot cut inside all the time, i strongly suspect under orders from Sam, which annoys me.