Centre Of Midfield

hakka

Unfortunately, I don't think we are likely to sign the likes of Diego etc at this moment in time.

Sam is more likely to sign proven premiership players at the moment in order to help us progress more quickly (in his mind anyway!).

The best we can hope for therefore, are the likes of Sidwell and Nolan, who would be slightly better than Butt and Smith I suppose.

I wonder how much better we would be in the middle of the park if we had signed Sidwell and Nolan rather than Barton and Smith ...

Its a total longshot to get the likes of Diego who is on top form at the mo. But we do have the money, even a cheeky bid shows we have the ambition.

What scares me is that I don't believe we can get the big name player which the majority of fans expect or would accept, mainly becasue we are all over the media as being shite, our form is shite and we are not in Europe.  It's most likely we could get one of...

David Dunn

Jason Koumas

Mark Noble

Giles Barnes

Not exactly the big name you'd hope for, but regardless of what people really would want, they are people we "could" get and they are light years ahead of Smith, Butt, Geremi at getting forward, making a decent pass or forcing a save from the keeper at distance.

Although I've only got an education from YouTube of Ashvarin, I'd rather go for him and Barnes in the window then any of the others.

I'd really like to see Emre and Butt get a few games together in the center of the park. I remember them being very decent when Roeder was out and Parker was injured, and with the better overall team that we have now i.e. better wingers (Zog improving, Duff seemingly regaining his pace), and better strikers (Viduka and Owen > Shearer and Ameobi), I reckon they'd actually do fine. We also have a better defence now which means more possession -> more chances for Emre to do his 'thing' which hopefully -> attractive football and goals.

Duff Butt Emre Zoggy

Owen  Viduka

is how I'd like to see us line up in the next few weeks with Martins, Geremi and them lot away.

I have not seen to much of arshavin or diego to really comment if they would be that good for us. But barnes would be one I would def get for 5mil.

riquelme went to boca. I think we need genuine pace in that midfield like an ashley young/babel etc that can unlock teams.

Villa seem to have a few of them like young/abonlahor/moore.

Maybe it would be worth looking in the championship to see if there are any decent shouts down there.

I also think we should try and sign diarra and put a lot of effort in getting him.

What does everyone think about trying to buy diouf ? I know he is a nasty shit but he causes problems against most teams and is the type of player you need to push teams back

Unfortunately, I don't think we are likely to sign the likes of Diego etc at this moment in time.

Sam is more likely to sign proven premiership players at the moment in order to help us progress more quickly (in his mind anyway!).

The best we can hope for therefore, are the likes of Sidwell and Nolan, who would be slightly better than Butt and Smith I suppose.

I wonder how much better we would be in the middle of the park if we had signed Sidwell and Nolan rather than Barton and Smith ...

Its a total longshot to get the likes of Diego who is on top form at the mo. But we do have the money, even a cheeky bid shows we have the ambition.

Aye, and he's not entirely happy there atm.

He could be a big star here, a big premiership star raking in the coin.

Bring his mate Naldo along, and the pair can be entertained by the Brazilian clown Cacapa until they settle.

What scares me is that I don't believe we can get the big name player which the majority of fans expect or would accept, mainly becasue we are all over the media as being shite, our form is shite and we are not in Europe.  It's most likely we could get one of...

David Dunn

Jason Koumas

Mark Noble

Giles Barnes

Not exactly the big name you'd hope for, but regardless of what people really would want, they are people we "could" get and they are light years ahead of Smith, Butt, Geremi at getting forward, making a decent pass or forcing a save from the keeper at distance.

Although I've only got an education from YouTube of Ashvarin, I'd rather go for him and Barnes in the window then any of the others.

No chance of Noble, he's die hard hammers.

What scares me is that I don't believe we can get the big name player which the majority of fans expect or would accept, mainly becasue we are all over the media as being s****, our form is s**** and we are not in Europe.  It's most likely we could get one of...

David Dunn

Jason Koumas

Mark Noble

Giles Barnes

No chance of Noble, he's die hard hammers.

True, it's a shame, quite like Noble.  (as a player, of course).

I think koumas would be a quality signing. dont think he will leave there this month though.  I think our best shot at the mo is investing in young players around 19-21 with pace and power that are hungry for success.

We should maybe look at loaning a couple of players from abroad also. There must be a few players on the continent that we could realistically go for.

I also like the look of that benarfur (is that how ya spell it). Have seen him a few times and he caught my eye. Or even get cisse back from marseille as he has the pace and movement

The thing is, Allardyce's tactic of using two defensive midfielders in the center is not new, nor is it something which has been proved to be unsuccessful. Capello used two def mids in the center at Real last season and won the league. Milan have continued to use Pirlo, Ambrosini and Gattuso (in rotation) in the center of the park and none of them are box-to-box midfielders. Arsenal's brilliant double-winning team had Petitt and Vieira in the middle and for the last couple of Vieira's seasons at the club, he was paired with Gilberto in the center of the park. And iirc, they were quite successful as well ;)

This tactic isn't a novelty. Many astute managers have seen the positives of putting two def mids together in the center because there's extra protection for the back and the def mids win back possession more often than the average midfielders which means the team has more control of the ball and thus can dictate the pace of the game. Allardyce isn't an idiot for trying out this formation. He's just an idiot because he thinks Smith is a DM when he's clearly not.

It's all Smith's fault I say :D

The thing is, Allardyce's tactic of using two defensive midfielders in the center is not new, nor is it something which has been proved to be unsuccessful. Capello used two def mids in the center at Real last season and won the league. Milan have continued to use Pirlo, Ambrosini and Gattuso (in rotation) in the center of the park and none of them are box-to-box midfielders. Arsenal's brilliant double-winning team had Petitt and Vieira in the middle and for the last couple of Vieira's seasons at the club, he was paired with Gilberto in the center of the park. And iirc, they were quite successful as well ;)

This tactic isn't a novelty. Many astute managers have seen the positives of putting two def mids together in the center because there's extra protection for the back and the def mids win back possession more often than the average midfielders which means the team has more control of the ball and thus can dictate the pace of the game. Allardyce isn't an idiot for trying out this formation. He's just an idiot because he thinks Smith is a DM when he's clearly not.

The thing is though, there are actually defensive midfielders out there who can pass the ball.

We don't necessarily need people in there who get forward, but more importantly, people who can pass the ball.

I talked to some derby supporters and they think barnes is hugely overrated and would pounce on any offer that exceeds 4 million pounds.

Diego wouldnt come here, naldo wouldn't either

True about the 2nd part, but I just don't know about Barnes.

70 games and 10 goals isn't bad for a midfielder at 19.

One thing that worries me with Barnes is he appears to be a bit of a playboy, and we've had that far too much in the past.

I would take that gamble, if it kept Smith out of midfield.

Butt will be dropped to leave Smith in there

The thing is though, there are actually defensive midfielders out there who can pass the ball.

We don't necessarily need people in there who get forward, but more importantly, people who can pass the ball.

Pirlo has a great free kick and long range shot on him! Butt and Smith need miracles just get the ball towards the goal.

I talked to some derby supporters and they think barnes is hugely overrated and would pounce on any offer that exceeds 4 million pounds.

Diego wouldnt come here, naldo wouldn't either

True about the 2nd part, but I just don't know about Barnes.

70 games and 10 goals isn't bad for a midfielder at 19.

Nah i'd take him too, just saying that according to their fans he's not even the best player at what is, let's face it, a championship club playing in the premiership.

Yes but DM these days have to be able to pass and interchange further up the park as we've discussed in another thread dear.

If Enrique can play at LB most games now, then having NZogbia with Butt and Milner & Duff on the wings could do canny imo. Emre could, and would, be a quality player if he bloody played his game in the final third instead of the bloody half way line.

Jason Koumas and Giles Barnes are the only two realistic (IMO) signings.

Either would improve us immensely.

Scott Brown would be good but he'd never leave celtic for us.

DM wise I can only think of Diarra/Song (arsenal)