Another "Owen: is he past it?" thread.. but with a poll

McCormick
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

After another less than stellar performance by easily our best-known player, i wonder what you lot think of him.

You've made option 3 irresistable.

I added it for higher degree of credibility

Do the clippings work?

PM me if you want to know, i don't want to seem like some kind of freaky stalker :lol:

:laugh:

I thought you had to get your clippings under thier bed.  :parky:

Unfortunately it's a lot harder than it sounds

Even when he's been fit for us, he is so worthless unless we're creating chances. He's always been that way a little but it's so obvious now that his pace has gone and defences aren't fearful simply of his presence.

Say what you like about Martins, he likes to get involved. Too often you can forget Owen is even on the field.

Spot on.

Owen is simply a reputation & hype. He's a name, not a brilliant player.

And the thing is he did have chances, again, today- but hes simply not this finisher he's hyped up to be. People really need to realise what he actually is and not be sucked into the rubbish Owen hype. He's not the worst player ever obviosuly. But 'lethal finisher', 'world class striker' 'give him a chance and he'll put it away striker'? Its hype, and hype only & not the truth. Get rid asap.

Is there something you're basing this on?

Even when he's been fit for us, he is so worthless unless we're creating chances. He's always been that way a little but it's so obvious now that his pace has gone and defences aren't fearful simply of his presence.

Say what you like about Martins, he likes to get involved. Too often you can forget Owen is even on the field.

Spot on.

And the thing is he did have chances, again, today- but hes simply not this finisher he's hyped up to be. People really need to realise what he actually is and not be sucked into the rubbish Owen hype. He's not the worst player ever obviosuly. But 'lethal finisher', 'world class striker' 'give him a chance and he'll put it away striker'? Its hype, and hype only & not the truth. Get rid asap.

Great post. He had one chance in particular any "World Class" striker would have slotted away. A waste in our team and only hampers our game.

After another less than stellar performance by easily our best-known player, i wonder what you lot think of him.

You've made option 3 irresistable.

I added it for higher degree of credibility

Do the clippings work?

PM me if you want to know, i don't want to seem like some kind of freaky stalker :lol:

:laugh:

I thought you had to get your clippings under thier bed.  :parky:

Unfortunately it's a lot harder than it sounds

PM me the scam bro.

Spot on.

Great post. He had one chance in particular any "World Class" striker would have slotted away. A waste in our team and only hampers our game.

Give him chances and he`ll put them away.

Yep.

The chances have to be so good though he might as well be in a wheelchair.

He needs a good team to produce for him. We're a million miles from that right now.

He is not good for the club, he isn't going to get the service and is going to be invisible all game. Carrol did a better job today FFS. Why play with 10 men? 

Whilst he's here he's going to play, like it or not.

Lets hope he fucks off in Jan then.

To Citeh, he would do great there IMO with the service of Elano and Petrov.

Owen is pathetically limited.

All you ever hear is show he would finish all the opportunities Martins gets.

Firstly, he will never get those same opportunities because he is too slow to.

Secondly, He has missed these kind of 'simple' chances as well, and because fewer of them are created with him on the pitch its even worse.

I am so tired of Michael Owen ...

Owen is pathetically limited.

All you ever hear is show he would finish all the opportunities Martins gets.

Firstly, he will never get those same opportunities because he is too slow to.

Secondly, He has missed these kind of 'simple' chances as well, and because fewer of them are created with him on the pitch its even worse.

I am so tired of Michael Owen ...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zVGDKiXK_5-VPM:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2634771/2/istockphoto_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg

Spot on.

Yep.

He needs a good team to produce for him. We're a million miles from that right now.

He is not good for the club, he isn't going to get the service and is going to be invisible all game. Carrol did a better job today FFS. Why play with 10 men? 

mackems.gif Where does that leave us then? Accepting we're shit so might as well play the players that suit?

Spot on.

Yep.

mackems.gif Where does that leave us then? Accepting we're s*** so might as well play the players that suit?

No but playing someone effective (Yes Carrol was more effective than Owen, and no I don't think he is the answer) , who can link up play *or* is a big target to lump it at would be an improvement over Owen. It will never work, he doesn't fit the style of play and he will *never* get the service. Simple as that really.

And yes we are shit. There are no two ways about it.

Spot on.

His two and a half seasons with Newcastle being a complete waste of everybody's time perhaps?

Spot on.

His two and a half seasons with Newcastle being a complete waste of everybody's time perhaps?

Exactly. Get rid.

At the end of the day, you can look at it either way.

a) We get rid cos he's shit, no pace, the rest of the team doesn't make chances for him so why don't we play Carroll at least he might knock it down to Smith or Butt to shoot a few times a game. We stay shit.

b) Keep our best goalscorer and try and invest in the team who could make the chances for him. We improve.

Yes, a tad OTT maybe but you don't get better by selling your best players.

FUCK ME!!! He can no longer collect the ball on the half way line & sprint down the pitch & score a goal. But if we ever mange to whip balls in or feed him in the box on constant basis & he doesn't score then maybe then I will say he is past it.

a) We get rid cos he's s***, no pace, the rest of the team doesn't make chances for him so why don't we play Carroll at least he might knock it down to Smith or Butt to shoot a few times a game. We stay s***.

b) Keep our best goalscorer and try and invest in the team who could make the chances for him. We improve.

Isnt Martins our best goalscorer?

a) We get rid cos he's s***, no pace, the rest of the team doesn't make chances for him so why don't we play Carroll at least he might knock it down to Smith or Butt to shoot a few times a game. We stay s***.

He is not our best player though is he? He is a waste of time, invisible on the pitch and a pointless selection. I hope he proves me wrong and goes on a 28 goal spree but I really can't see it. For him to score regularly he needs quality service something he would never get here because we are not going to attract the players we need in our current position.

Fact is a fairly unproven, young striker was far more effective than this "World Class" Michael Owen. Why build a team rounfd him when he doesn't seem to give two shits?

No.

a) We get rid cos he's shit, no pace, the rest of the team doesn't make chances for him so why don't we play Carroll at least he might knock it down to Smith or Butt to shoot a few times a game. We stay shit.

I think i'm edging this way, Diablo is right really. But his form when he's been on the field is certainly worrying. He lacks pace and this great finishing prowess that he apparantely has has eluded him so far. Even his goal against Barnsley was a bit fortuitous.

He does offer great movement though, providing our midfielders are up for it, and he's still a very good palyer in my opinion. I wouldn't say he 'relied' on pace when he was younger, it was just an added attribute. He's still got the nouse to do well here.

Then again, what's the point if his next injury is just round the corner?

I've got a sneaky feeling there'll be a more positive concensus this time next month.

Spot on.

Exactly. Get rid.

No one wants him.

It's all so tragic. We're stuck with him till his contract runs out.

No.

I'd agree tbh. Martins has the ability to create it for himself, something that sadly is needed of our strikers due to a lack of quality in midfield. In the current situation Owen is ineffective.

Our best finisher and if we had good central midfielders who could thread passes and link up with the strikers he would still be deadly.

The dilemma is, whilst we can't provide that (and we clearly cannot), should he be in the team/at the club?

Our best finisher and if we had good central midfielders who could thread passes and link up with the strikers he would still be deadly.

Where are they coming from? We are very unlikely to attract the quality needed in our current situation, rendering him useless.

He is not our best player though is he? He is a waste of time, invisible on the pitch and a pointless selection. I hope he proves me wrong and goes on a 28 goal spree but I really can't see it. For him to score regularly he needs quality service something he would never get here because we are not going to attract the players we need in our current position.

It's not like we need fucking Kaka to thread balls through to him for him to score. Someone who can pass a ball to a team mate in the final thrid might be a start.

Re: best finisher, if I had to give a chance to either Viduka or Owen in the last minute to win a match, these days it would be the big man every single time.

I realise this is a ridiculous hypothetical situation. Us winning a match - bluelaugh.gif