We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

I'm not sure we're bad enough at the minute to require a £100m facelift, but we definitely need a few inspirational buys in the mould of Robert and Bellamy.

We could probably do with adding a top quality right winger to replace Solano, a creative midfielder to replace Emre (who must be off) and a quality striker to replace Michael Owen (he's never going to work out here) first and foremost.

I genuinely think even just two of the three in those positions (RW/CM first and foremost) at something like £15M net spend for the pair, at this point in time, would see a fairly hefty improvement in our performances.

:thup: lest it get lost amongst the great quote pyramids of NE5gypt

edit:  :laugh2:  new page! no worry

I hope they listen to you Rich. I don't bother any more because they don't seem able to see my posts.

Ok Ok, i cant help myself, he says some ridiculous stuff sometime. I try my hardest not to bite but i cant help proving him wrong, its my nature to be argumentitive, im a training lawyer.

Even you bite sometimes....  :razz:

There has to be a balance between buying and development of youngsters - NUFC's problem. over many years, has been to concentrate solely on the former and pay lip-service to the latter.

Of course, developing young players doesn't get the big headlines for managers & chairmen, so they tend to do the same as most things in the UK - take the short-term view, grab the kudos & run...

The club now is currently trapped in the spiral of having to spend big money on players because they have consistently neglected youth development - this is the biggest gripe I had with the KK regime and Keegan himself both scrapped the Reserves and downgraded the Youth side ; compare this with Wenger's approach and which one reaps the biggest dividends..??

Yes, BIG money will have to be spent to keep abreast merely with clubs like Spurs & Everton, because the bad buying over the last 10 years has wasted too much money on very little real talent.

The problem Mort & Ashley face is that they see some of the buys made by Allardyce and wonder if he will ALSO waste big money when and if he gets it, so that is a constant worry - the other problem faced by the club is being able to attract REALLY top talent, and not just mediocre second-raters who demand a huge wage because the top players just WON'T sign for NUFC...

All this could have been so different if SBR had taken over from KK - plenty of money available, Bobby's reputation would have ensured no problem getting top players interested, and the club had a TRULY high profile at that time, with CL Football in 1997 - we are now viewed as a second-rate club with big support, probably a worse version of Germany's Schalke 04, so getting great players is almost impossible.

We need to have a mixed policy of buying the truly best players we CAN achieve, and being serious about young development - and that means the BEST coaches & scouts available for that job, NOT someone like Wharton, Clarkie, Beardsley etc simply because they played for the club - professionalism badly needed at NUFC..

That way, reasonable improvement, season on season, would both keep fans happy and improve the club's position & standing until we CAN compete for top players again.

...following that logic (painful) even if we spent 50m on 2/3 players they still wouldn't come....eh?

We can get 3 players for the best part of £50m as Souey proved.

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.

What?  We'd finished 14th in the Premiership the season before we signed those players and we weren't in Europe in any form.  We're a premiership side, that's enough to attract big players if you're willing to spend the cash.  Of course it also doesn't hurt that we've at least been in Europe plenty of times unlike most of the rest of the Premiership..

Teasy - Dont say nowt but Man City who finished 14th last season went out & spent about £40 million on incoming players in the summer & are now sitting in a Champions League spot. 

How many signings were for Parky's daft figure of £25M?

Do you expect them to spend another £65M this window to make it Parky's daft 100M figure?

Stop being so literal.

:lol:

Will do, but Parky's set up a thread with a senationalist title and and nonsensical numbers and people have come along and agreed.  I'll not take him literally but he needs to put a wink to let me know when.

I see no need to change from the amounts we've spent up to now, average about £20M I'd say.

In January yes, then another £30m in the summer.

:lol:

On who?

I think the Elf-Meister is correct - we only have 5-6 players who would even make the squad at Arsenal or ManYoo

Say a 24 man squad - 18 players needed; maybe a couple of kids , one lucky dip at £1 mm - still 15 needed - at £ 6 milion a piece we're at £ 100 mm before you can say Gandalf

I think the Elf-Meister is correct - we only have 5-6 players who would even make the squad at Arsenal or ManYoo

Say a 24 man squad - 18 players needed; maybe a couple of kids , one lucky dip at £1 mm - still 15 needed - at £ 6 milion a piece we're at £ 100 mm before you can say Gandalf

:thup:

The big numbers has come as a bit of a shock to some, accustomed as they are to living in the shade.  bluerazz.gif

The big numbers has come as a bit of a shock to some, accustomed as they are to living in the shade.  bluerazz.gif

yep.

Its obviously too straightforward this malarky ie if you want to rival the other top clubs you have to compete with them, and if you want to beat them you need players that they themselves want.

Sadly, a scenario whereby a few years of seeing 2m johnny nobodies will only cause them to realise that people like myself, you, spence and one or two others were right all along. By then, we will be further behind.

Or we could just sign Craig Bellamy as I've heard he turns mid table teams into Champions League one's all by himself...

Surely we could pick him up for less than £100m? :undecided:

I don't think we need to spend that much. We just need a couple of creative players who make the team tick, a la Bellamy and Robert. The problem is, they need to be the right two players, and soon, otherwise we'll continue to slip backwards, and it's highly unlikely we'll get it that spot on straight away.

I don't think we need to spend that much. We just need a couple of creative players who make the team tick, a la Bellamy and Robert. The problem is, they need to be the right two players, and soon, otherwise we'll continue to slip backwards, and it's highly unlikely we'll get it that spot on straight away.

Depends on your ambition. I agree the "right" couple of players, and sensible team selections, could still get us into the top 6.

But to go higher than that, demands more. Much more.

This thread has reached 10 pages :lol: The answer is no we don't.

Parky has made out a good case.

It's all about needing to get the better players, and make no mistake about it, they will go to who pays them the most and convinces them they have the most ambition, these 2 points being linked as part of the bigger picture.

There has to be a balance between buying and development of youngsters - NUFC's problem. over many years, has been to concentrate solely on the former and pay lip-service to the latter.

Of course, developing young players doesn't get the big headlines for managers & chairmen, so they tend to do the same as most things in the UK - take the short-term view, grab the kudos & run...

The club now is currently trapped in the spiral of having to spend big money on players because they have consistently neglected youth development - this is the biggest gripe I had with the KK regime and Keegan himself both scrapped the Reserves and downgraded the Youth side ; compare this with Wenger's approach and which one reaps the biggest dividends..??

Yes, BIG money will have to be spent to keep abreast merely with clubs like Spurs & Everton, because the bad buying over the last 10 years has wasted too much money on very little real talent.

The problem Mort & Ashley face is that they see some of the buys made by Allardyce and wonder if he will ALSO waste big money when and if he gets it, so that is a constant worry - the other problem faced by the club is being able to attract REALLY top talent, and not just mediocre second-raters who demand a huge wage because the top players just WON'T sign for NUFC...

All this could have been so different if SBR had taken over from KK - plenty of money available, Bobby's reputation would have ensured no problem getting top players interested, and the club had a TRULY high profile at that time, with CL Football in 1997 - we are now viewed as a second-rate club with big support, probably a worse version of Germany's Schalke 04, so getting great players is almost impossible.

We need to have a mixed policy of buying the truly best players we CAN achieve, and being serious about young development - and that means the BEST coaches & scouts available for that job, NOT someone like Wharton, Clarkie, Beardsley etc simply because they played for the club - professionalism badly needed at NUFC..

That way, reasonable improvement, season on season, would both keep fans happy and improve the club's position & standing until we CAN compete for top players again.

Excellent post.

Allardyce says something similar in last months edition of the Mag.

EDIT -

Do you think the problem at Newcastle has been it's reacted to things and had a hand to mouth existance rather than a long term plan?

"It's committed huge amounts to try and buy success and lets not kid ourselves, that's still the case with the clubs at the top now, they are the ones who spend the most money. You've got to have something else apart from that, even Chelsea don't do it like they did, they did it for the initial impact under a fantastic manager who made it a success almost instantly. They are looking for sustainable success by developing in all areas, they have three hundred scouts all over the World, not just for first team players but more for young players, development players.

When I talk about sustainable success it also means having the squad, last year Newcastle played a lot of matches and the bottom line was they beat Palermo away in the UEFA Cup on Thursday and then lost to Sheffield United at home in the league. When Manchester United play in the Champions League, Alex Ferguson will look to make half a dozen changes for the next fixture. At the moment we have numerous ex players on panels who talk about playing forty or fifty matches in their day but it isn't their day, it's now. They couldn't live in 'now' time, I couldn't live in it, so it means that you can't demand that a player plays every single game and every single week. If you do that then one of two things will happen, you'll either burn him out or make him injury prone.

Our long-term aim has to be trying to eventually get back in the top four, but when you get there it has to be sustainable."

It's all about needing to get the better players, and make no mistake about it, they will go to who pays them the most and convinces them they have the most ambition, these 2 points being linked as part of the bigger picture.

Since when did having the best players guarantee you success? We can see that isn't the case with the clubs who are currently hovering around the 6th place position.

Since when did having the best players guarantee you success? We can see that isn't the case with the clubs who are currently hovering around the 6th place position.

It's a canny 'rule of thumb' tbf. :)