Which of our players are good enough to help us finish top six?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thought this might be an interesting idea, given the recent debates popping up in various places about the merits of our squad. The manager has had his poll, so let's now shift the focus a bit and see who the forum reckons deserves their salary and squad number at Newcastle United. Top 6 should be a fairly realistic expectation/ambition, at least for next season, I'm sure most would agree with that.

We have 21 senior squad players on the books at the minute, discounting the injured Peter Ramage, and not including the younger lads like David Edgar, Andy Carroll, Kazenga Lua Lua and Tim Krul.

Vote for the players who you personally think we should keep a hold of, because they're good enough to play in the first team for where you think we should be aiming to finish in the Premiership. If you think they're all shite, then don't vote and let us know with a post instead (obviously.)

Given all of the fluctuating opinions about various members of our squad, it will be decent to see who we rate on the whole as our favourite/best players and who we think are good enough to take us to the infamous "next level".

Do you mean as first teamers or squad players? For instance, I think Obafemi Martins could be an important part of a squad that finishes 6th, but he's not a player who's going to take us there.

Do you mean as first teamers or squad players? For instance, I think Obafemi Martins could be an important part of a squad that finishes 6th, but he's not a player who's going to take us there.

Exactly what I thought on Martins.

Well spotted, I realised I didn't make this clear and quickly edited it. Hopefully this is where the debate will spring from though, as it's an important thing to consider.

I suppose we could merely qualify it as meaning people who will realistically be partaking in a fair bit of first team action, whether that be as a starter or from the bench, as it's not just the first XI who wins you games.

Let's say the definition of a "squad player" is someone who is good enough to come in and play a part in case of injuries/suspensions, etc. Without a major detriment to the team's performance as a whole.

Not someone who would be considered a liability and would make you think "oh no" if he had to play.

*Cough* Ramage *Cough*

I voted for 11 good enough to play as regular squad members. Shay, Harper, Beye, Taylor, Faye, Enrique, Zog, Duff, Martins, Viduka, Owen. The problem is I regarded few of them as starters.

I voted for 11 good enough to play as regular squad members. Shay, Harper, Beye, Taylor, Faye, Enrique, Zog, Duff, Martins, Viduka, Owen. The problem is I regarded few of them as starters.

You can edit your votes, if necessary!

The fact that nobody on the list has polled more than 10% is a bit telling of supporter opinion these days isn't it?

Erm, not quite sure you're analysing that right mate. 22 out of 24 people have voted "yes" for Faye, Beye and N'Zogbia - which is around 90% for each of those players. It's the numbers more than the percentages we're looking at.

There's a few players I reckon would do well in a side playing with fluency, shape and confidence which we've not seen thus far, making it a difficult question to answer. 

It's definitely not clear cut, which is where I'm hoping we'll get some raging debate from.

Just think of it from a personal perspective: who are you happy with to see play realistically, under the current gaffer?

We're not talking about anything else here, just the abilities of the players when they're on the park in our colours at the current moment in time.

The fact that nobody on the list has polled more than 10% is a bit telling of supporter opinion these days isn't it?

Erm, not quite sure you're analysing that right mate. 22 out of 24 people have voted "yes" for Faye, Beye and N'Zogbia - which is around 90% for each of those players. It's the numbers more than the percentages we're looking at.

Aye if less than 10% thought that the likes of Given and Faye were good enough then we really would be fucked.

Given, Beye, Enrique, Faye, Owen and Zog.

Those were my choices, plus Martins as a useful squad player.

The reasons I didn't include Enrique, Owen and Martins in my selection were; not played enough games to be sure yet, too injury prone, and too erratic, respectively, but all of them could potentially be there if they can rectify those issues I reckon.

I voted for Given, Harper, Beye, Cacapa, Faye, Enrique, Milner, N'Zogbia, Owen, Viduka, Martins, but then I think we've more to see from Barton (not that I'd be arsed if we ripped the twat's contract up) and even Rozehnal, cos I refuse to accept that a seasoned Czech international can be so poor.

Our players aren't as bad as they look at the moment, they're just not.

It's like that with most of them, isn't it? I don't think Manure would end up lower than 6th if they had to rely on Carr on right back (provided he wasn't injured all the time -- although they could forget about winning the league). AFAICT, our problem isn't so much that we lack overall quality, but that we lack some specific qualities, namely distribution from midfield and (intelligent) movement up front. Oh, and a clone of Faye so that he can play DMC and CB at the same time.

Most of our players (Carr, Shola and probably Rozy excepted) could do a job if the side was set up to accommodate them, so that we're able to play to their strengths.