Lassana Diarra joins Portsmouth

Guest Guinness

He's a classy little player, but i just don't think we need him, we need more flair.

Its a great signing if we go out and get some attacking players as well.

Agree with this.

Can't say I've seen that much of him, but from what I've seen, he seems like a very good player. Good age as well, will still be wanting to prove himself which is a good thing.

Like TT says though, we'll need a creative player too to compliment him.

Speaking last month, the former Le Havre youngster revealed his discontentment with life at Arsenal, saying: "We're halfway through December and I've decided. I want to leave. The bottom line is the coach doesn't need me.

"They don't want me. I don't understand because I've got more value in the French national team.

"When I signed for Arsenal I was made promises by the people who recruited me. But since the start of the season the only matches I've been involved in have been low-key, and to be honest I'm getting fed up with it.

"With Mr Wenger, there's no problem whatsoever. I'm not going to criticise him or speak badly of him. I'm not the kind of person who creates problems.

"But I signed for Arsenal because I was led to believe I was going to be playing and there would be healthy competition. That hasn't been the case."

I'm surprised at how many people are unfamiliar with him. He played a ton of games for Chelsea at right-back at some point last season and was really good for them.

He has also played in all of Arsenal's Carling Cup games in midfield and has looked great for them there too.

The good thing about this move as well is that we know for sure he can do the business in the premiership too.

In my opinion it is great to see a young guy who is hungry enough to move from both Chelsea and Arsenal in order to play more and show what he can do. Brilliant. Exactly the sort we need.

He improves our 1st team no doubt and for tougher games away from home we could use him next to Butt or Geremi and still have more flair in the team than we do currently.

He is a strong lad who can tackle but the kid knows how to pass the ball as well. As long as the fee isn't too high I don't see a down side to getting Diarra in, plus whilst Beye is away on Int Duty he would be cover for RB because I don't want to see Rozy playing there again he was hopeless v Stoke!

Would be a fantastic addition. Someone with a bit of pace in the centre of midfield is well needed.

Still a tad worried about the lack of creativity in the middle.

Can anyone think of a creative midfielder we could realistically go for. And by realistic i don't mean Diego, Sneijder, Van der Vaart etc.

Someone mentioned Zoltan Gera in a previous post. Not a bad shout.

I'm surprised at how many people are unfamiliar with him. He played a ton of games for Chelsea at right-back at some point last season and was really good for them.

He has also played in all of Arsenal's Carling Cup games in midfield and has looked great for them there too.

The good thing about this move as well is that we know for sure he can do the business in the premiership too.

In my opinion it is great to see a young guy who is hungry enough to move from both Chelsea and Arsenal in order to play more and show what he can do. Brilliant. Exactly the sort we need.

I rate him higher than Gilberto or Flamini.

For me he's a Mini-Makalele with a bit more pace and projection.

Wouldn't underestimate his creative component either. Not his main role but can thread a pass.

I really hope this happens.

Would fit in quite nicely but I can't see Wenger letting him go on the cheap.

We don't want cheap remember.  ;)

He's not worth £15M

Not good enough.

Next.

:razz:

He will be worth £15m.

:laugh:

Flakier than a cheap flake in a 99 ice cream being sold by Bob flake in flakesville Tenessee.

He's not worth £15M

Not good enough.

Next.

He will be worth £15m.

Flakier than a cheap flake in a 99 ice cream being sold by Bob flake in flakesville Tenessee.

Similar to Essien? or similar to Makelele?

I'm sure i remember reading somewhere that he considers himself a bit of an attacking midfilder, might of been one of these threads.

I hope he's a Makelele type player, provide some much needed protection of the centre halves!! Means we can let the "creative" players be creative!!

Bollocks to creativity in central midfield.

Our biggest problem is the fact that Butt, Barton, Geremi and Smith get overrun in midfield every game due to other midfielders having better physical attributes. Diarra should solve that problem against most teams, and against a large bunch of very imposing midfielders like the Portsmouth midfield, partnering Diarra and Faye should put us on a competitive keel.

Our biggest problem is the fact that Butt, Barton, Geremi and Smith get overrun in midfield every game due to other midfielders having better physical attributes. Diarra should solve that problem against most teams, and against a large bunch of very imposing midfielders like the Portsmouth midfield, partnering Diarra and Faye should put us on a competitive keel.

He is not actually that big. 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)

He's not worth £15M

Not good enough.

Next.

He will be worth £15m.

HAHAHAHA :lol:

He is not actually that big. 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)

Its not just about height, its how you use your strength, pace and fitness levels and convert it into power. Martins can be quite powerful when he chooses despite lacking in height.

I'm sure i remember reading somewhere that he considers himself a bit of an attacking midfilder, might of been one of these threads.

I hope he's a Makelele type player, provide some much needed protection of the centre halves!! Means we can let the "creative" players be creative!!

Arsène Wenger said:  “Lassana is a multi-functional player, making him a great addition to our squad.  Not only is he hard working, he has a creative edge and is comfortable playing in the middle of the pitch or at right back.”

Arsène Wenger said:  “Lassana is a multi-functional player, making him a great addition to our squad.  Not only is he hard working, he has a creative edge and is comfortable playing in the middle of the pitch or at right back.”

Makes him sound like Geremi Mk II.

Guest exilim

He might not want to join us after we play Arsenal two more times soon.

We play like shit and if i were him, i would rather go Portsmouth.

Makes him sound like Geremi Mk II.

The differance being Wenger never showed the remotest interest in Geremi.

In such case it is strange that Lassana never settled himself at the Arsenal team.

Anyway, comparing to our middfielders, it would be great increase of the quality.

If we can sign Diarra then I think it's safe to say that the CDM position is sorted for at least 5 years.

He's much more like Makelele than Essien. I can't really see a resemblance with Essien whatsoever.