Lassana Diarra joins Portsmouth

Guest Guinness

I would add, you have to question if his head is screwed on if he want's to learn his trade under Sam Allardyce rather than Arsene Wenger.

:kasper:

The Arsenal forum consensus was that he thinks he's already the finished article, but isn't really.

He's young, talented and is experienced in English football. Can't go wrong tbh.

My only worry is that like at Arsenal, he'd want to be straight in the team. Will Allardyce do this (meaning dropping one of his other signings) or will he be brought through slowly like Enrique?

Whey the Arse fans don't seem to want to let him go so could be canny.

Wouldn't pay any more than they did for him though.  Anyone know what that was?

£2m I think.

I think he's quite overrated. He's never played in a team like us, and probably won't ever if he stays in Arsenal. We should take note of the recent phenomenon of supposedly 'good' players coming from better clubs to play for us and then becoming the definition of suckitude when they're here. The style of play is different, the skills that these players possess are different and they've been taught to play a different style of football. This is why we should be really careful when buying 'established' players like Wes Brown, Diarra etc. The evidence is there, just look at Parker, Butt, Emre, Luque (maybe?) and Duff. They're all examples of players that we, and most people, thought were good but they've all underachieved here and thus, it's a lesson that Allardyce has to heed.

The way teams like Arsenal, Chelsea and Manyoo play is very different from the way we play. They dominate possession and then play the ball in the other team's half. They're rarely put under significant pressure and rarely is it a lengthened spell. That's why Butt has underachieved here imo.

And when I say overrated, I'm not saying he's shit, I'm just saying that the expectations that we (Newcastle fans) have for him are already quite high. He's a good young player, but beware of the phenomenon I mentioned, and also realize that this is only a small step in the right direction.

He's young, talented and is experienced in English football. Can't go wrong tbh.

My only worry is that like at Arsenal, he'd want to be straight in the team. Will Allardyce do this (meaning dropping one of his other signings) or will he be brought through slowly like Enrique?

The scum paid  £2m for him, he's for sale at £3.5m.  Villa, Everton and City are keen on him as well as Pompey and yourselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassana_Diarra

Fucking hell, as I've said in months gone by, I'd be very happy with this move if we can pull it off.

Fair play to Allardyce for even being interested, in my book.

Best mates with N'Zogbia, extremely close to Geremi as well, who was his "father" at Chelsea... two things in our favour. I'd assume we'd pay bigger wages than the other clubs interested, and that he'd play first-team football here as well.

Bloody hell, I'm excited again, a bit.

Guest Terry2nil

Another reject.  :rant: Not good enough for Chelsea & Arsenal. Not good enough for us.

We aren't even close to been in the same league as Chelsea and Arsenal mate, he's a very good player, end of.

We never will be signing crap like him.

Another reject.  :rant: Not good enough for Chelsea & Arsenal. Not good enough for us.

We aren't even close to been in the same league as Chelsea and Arsenal mate, he's a very good player, end of.

ban this guy please.

Chelsea sold him because contract was expiring and wasn't going to extend it!  despite being a fringe player never really failed to impress

ban this guy please.

Chelsea sold him because contract was expiring and wasn't going to extend it!  despite being a fringe player never really failed to impress

You could always just ignore him. Just an idea like... ???

ban this guy please.

this place is just so negative linked with a genuinely good player improve the team.

Branded 'crap'

ban this guy please.

this place is just so negative linked with a genuinely good player improve the team.

Branded 'crap'

:lol: One person has said that.

ban this guy please.

Branded 'crap'

:lol: One person has said that.

lol in this example yes

but i'm willing to bet more people have said that throughout the 6 pages or that 'he's another top 4 reject'.

i think people are overrating the lad on here, he aint THAT good. And a creative midfielder should be the priority ,not another battler

I think people are just excited by the prospect of a player who can actually pass the ball to a team-mate once in a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassana_Diarra

Doesn't sound too shabby a prospect.  Almost 40 games under his belt for Chelsea/Arsenal is better than I'd thought.

Still don't like paying almost twice as much as Arsenal did for him, when he's still in single digits in terms of appearances across all competitions.

i think people are overrating the lad on here, he aint THAT good. And a creative midfielder should be the priority ,not another battler

He's better than what we have, though, isn't he? And surely we need to buy better players if and when they become available?

Maybe we feel we cant pass this player up and maybe we have a creative player lined up as well.

He's better than what we have, though, isn't he? And surely we need to buy better players if and when they become available?

The key with him is he's dynamic and mobile, attributes that quality defensive midefielders need in the prem. Will benefit from working alongside Butt for a while and eventually replacing him completely.

would his move be legal ? he joined arsenal in august and is only allowed one move per season.

Players may only be registered to play with a national association during one of two registration periods per year, as laid down by the national association for this purpose, with a limit of one transfer of registration per player in the same sports season in a period of 12 months. One of these periods ('registration periods') is fixed for the end of the season and another period for the middle of the season.]Players may only be registered to play with a national association during one of two registration periods per year, as laid down by the national association for this purpose, with a limit of one transfer of registration per player in the same sports season in a period of 12 months. One of these periods ('registration periods') is fixed for the end of the season and another period for the middle of the season.