Defoe anyone?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Sorry like but Defoe is better than Martins if that's who you mean and I'm not one of those Martins bashers, I actually like the player and think he's canny enough, but not for NUFC. He'd do well at a club like the mackems, the main man whose goals would keep them up while they still play shite, i.e. us last season or as an impact player at a club like ours, to us what Saha is to Man Utd or Garcia was to Liverpool. Not quite good enough for their first team but a good player to have in the squad. If we have to rely on Martins on a weekly basis though we'll never ever get back into the top 6.

Interesting points HTT but from what you're saying I think it's more likely we'd sign Diouf than Defoe.  imo Allardyce believes that if you put the ball into the 'right areas' you'll win corners, throw-ins, free kicks - you then turn these into goals with well rehearsed set pieces utilising strength and power.  From what I've seen so far I'm not sure there's any place in his philosophy for short arsed pacey strikers like Defoe.

Guest Knightrider

Interesting points HTT but from what you're saying I think it's more likely we'd sign Diouf than Defoe.  imo Allardyce believes that if you put the ball into the 'right areas' you'll win corners, throw-ins, free kicks - you then turn these into goals with well rehearsed set pieces utilising strength and power.  From what I've seen so far I'm not sure there's any place in his philosophy for short arsed pacey strikers like Defoe.

So why did he sign Anelka then?

I watched a lot of Bolton last year and their style changed, they were not that different to Chelsea or Liverpool in style of play.

I understand Diouf may be a better man for Big Sam if only because he's proven under him and I'd like him here too, him and Defoe wide of Viduka or ideally, someone like Crouch or Ashton.

Then add a playmaker into the middle, some legs in there too....

We'd all see a different picture.

No we don't. You'll find no-one team in the Premiership has such a player

Chelsea = Drogba

Man Utd = Rooney

Liverpool = Torres

Spurs = Berbatov

I'm talking about all comps.  Even last season Martins managed 17.  If we could get another striker who could match that it would make a huge difference.

The fact is, we're gonna have to spend big on a few quality players if we want to go anywhere.  Defoe would not be an improvement.

I watched a lot of Bolton last year and their style changed, they were not that different to Chelsea or Liverpool in style of play.

I understand Diouf may be a better man for Big Sam if only because he's proven under him and I'd like him here too, him and Defoe wide of Viduka or ideally, someone like Crouch or Ashton.

I may well be wrong on this but my impression is that Anelka isn't short.  Anelka is a special case - I think he could play as a striker in any system.  I don't think Defoe is in his league tbh.

Guest Knightrider

No we don't. You'll find no-one team in the Premiership has such a player

Chelsea = Drogba

Man Utd = Rooney

Liverpool = Torres

Spurs = Berbatov

I'm talking about all comps.  Even last season Martins managed 17.  If we could get another striker who could match that it would make a huge difference.

The fact is, we're gonna have to spend big on a few quality players if we want to go anywhere.  Defoe would not be an improvement.

Oh, all comps then.

I'm sure Defoe would do well enough on the goals front, check his record.

Viduka & Owen looked shit scared to shoot at times against stoke. Martins cant help but whack the ball off the defender thighs. Shola....next. Defoe looks to me like he gets a shot away & on target, which means you have a striker who is likely to score. I cant see what is not to like about Defoe apart from it would be nice if he was 6ft.

I like Defoe as a player. Get him in for a cut price and phase out Owen.

We still need some muscle up front though, we really need to fork out £10m on a top striker with ability in the air, we've got no one.

That of course if we play 442 but even in a 451 433 presence off the ground is needed or the system doesn't work properly.

Like said above, shame Defoe isn't bigger, but if he was he wouldn't be leaving Tottenham on the cheap.

where has this sudden faith in defoe come from. defoe is very similar to martins, has always been a confidence striker who scores a few then dries up. they both make terrible decisions running off the ball. martins is looking a darns sight worse this season. but if you think defoe would step in and do a better job given the same tactics i think you would end up dissapointed. not to say i dont like defoe but unless we sell owen or martins i dont see him giving us anything extra bar discontent.

He runs the channels as well which would help the midfield out a lot. a) Giving them a ball to play and b) it's a good position to start an attack. Always noticed that about Spurs, you hardly ever see them score from a cross right on the touchline or by the corner flag, it always seems to be a drag back from inside the box. With Owen in the team that would benefit him as well.

Martins better than Defoe. ;D

Guest Knightrider

I may well be wrong on this but my impression is that Anelka isn't short.  Anelka is a special case - I think he could play as a stiker in any system.  I don't think Defoe is in his league tbh.

You're missing the point here, or maybe I'm not putting mine across all that well. Signing a Defoe would help us move away from the style we're playing at the moment which may not seem likely with Big Sam as our manager, but contrary to popular opinion, he did that at Bolton when he signed Anelka, it was a conscious attempt to move away from the direct game. It doesn't matter whether Defoe is a short arse or not, so is Diarra and we've apparently put a bid in for him or expressed an interest, Diouf isn't exactly a giant either.

I truly believe the manager has a vision of how he wants to play and what we're getting now isn't that vision or even close to it. People say he needs to stop trying to play like Bolton did, if only we actually did play like them because I guarantee if we were, we wouldn't be wanting him out as we'd be much higher up.

Big Sam's vision is more Chelsea/Liverpool like under Mourinho and Rafa than what we're seeing and this is down to a number of things, mainly the players he has at his disposal or rather those he doesn't more than anything. I can write the tinkering and tactics off as him finding out about his players, who he wants to keep and who he doesn't, what works and what doesn't. Experimenting really. Aye, even in the face of results or rather performances.

That's the type of manager he is, it takes time to find a long term winning formula. It took him 8 years to cultivate his own and to keep it fresh (which he did in his final season, finally finding the right balance), and with that right balance in mind, I think that's how we'll develop if he gets the time and money to go for it.

You saying well a Defoe would do nowt with balls booted up to him and with service from the likes of Smith - you're right, but I'm not looking at the now, I'm looking ahead and thinking about things down the line. Hence why I'm advocating or discussing the merits of Defoe as a possible signing.

We still need some muscle up front though, we really need to fork out £10m on a top striker with ability in the air, we've got no one.

Aye. Viduka for a big lad is not a target man.  It is shame that Koller doesn't fancy the Premier League, I would of got him in on  18 month deal. That Zigic is a  big lad but I reckon he would get destroyed in this country.

That of course if we play 442 but even in a 451 433 presence off the ground is needed or the system doesn't work properly.

Like said above, shame Defoe isn't bigger, but if he was he wouldn't be leaving Tottenham on the cheap.

Kanoute?

Guest Knightrider

Johnnypd made a good post about Defoe the other day.

We should be aiming for higher than him.

Never read it and ideally we could sign a much better calibre of player but lets be honest here, we are not exactly a top club are we with players falling over themselves to join us and the ones that usually do, do so because their careers stalled or money has talked.

We are in no position to turn our noses up at an available proven higher end Premiership striker who fits the criteria in terms of age, experience and injury record. His finishing isn't bad either.

I don't rate him highly as a footballer but he works those channels well and is decent off the ball, everything Martins isn't.

Kanoute?

Huntelaar.

Guest kingdawson

Defoe has a good goalscoring record in whatever competition he's played in for Spurs.

This is true. Defoe has (since 2004)..............

Started 87 games in the premiership and scored 43 goals

Started 7 F.A Cup games and scored 5 goals

Started 10 Carling cup games and scored 10 goals

Started 4 uefa cup games and scored 6 goals

Total = 108 starts and 64 goals

Defoe has a good goalscoring record in whatever competition he's played in for Spurs.

This is true. Defoe has (since 2004)..............

Started 87 games in the premiership and scored 43 goals

Started 7 F.A Cup games and scored 5 goals

Started 10 Carling cup games and scored 10 goals

Started 4 uefa cup games and scored 6 goals

Total = 108 starts and 64 goals

Not good enough. Defoe OUT!

Guest Knightrider

I'd have Crouch or Ashton as our centre-forward personally. Crouch is shit in the air but he "wins" a lot of balls in the air so with the right players a lot of joy can be had from that. Ashton is the opposite, very clever in the air, he's like Viduka too in that he's excellent with the ball to feet, but he's also good in the air and facing up to defenders. He's a handful, deceptively mobile and very creative for a forward. Scores goals too. Just a shame about his injury record otherwise he's your man.