The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well, if we are to believe what the media are saying then 'Arry looks like he could be coming up north for a while.

Now if this was to happen, why would people be unhappy?

Is it because we should be aiming higher or becasue people dont rate Redknapp?

Now personally, i think 'Arry could be someone i could get behind, more so than Allardyce, his brand of footbal is really good to watch and he has been pretty successful where ever he's been as well as unearthing and blooding young talent and some excellent gems.

His impact on a football club is pretty immediate too, bar southampton which people could argue was a sinking ship anyway.

The more i think about this potential appoint, the more it would excite me, he has a really good record in the transfer market his brand of football would be excellent, the squad he would inherit would have some good attacking options and i have no doubt that with backing he'd undoubtedly get would he would be ableto pull off some big trasfers.

I also think that his effect would be pretty immediate.

Portsmouth insist no approach has been received from Newcastle United for manager Harry Redknapp.

Following Sam Allardyce's departure from St James' Park on Wednesday, Redknapp has emerged as odds-on favourite to take over in some quarters.

The Pompey boss has already stressed that he is happy on the South Coast and that he has received no contact from Newcastle.

That stance has been supported by Portsmouth, who state the speculation surrounding Redknapp's future at Fratton Park is 'unhelpful'.

Compliment

"We take it as a compliment that our players and personnel are often linked with some of the top clubs in this country, and indeed abroad," read a club statement.

"It is testimony to the quality of their work.

"However, we do feel it necessary to correct some of the inaccuracies in reports that have surfaced today.

"The club has received no approach for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp. He remains as committed as ever to this football club and he recently signed a new, improved four-year contract with Portsmouth.

Unhelpful

"The club has made significant investments over the last two years in both players and infrastructure, and the results now being enjoyed are the fruits of those investments.

"Last year the club finished in its highest position for 52 years and this season we're on course to better that. We've recently won nine out of 10 away games - a club record.

"We're in the middle of the busiest time of the season because of the heavy fixture list and month-long transfer window and, as such, this speculation is unhelpful."

Would be an utterly fucking pointless turn of events. He's no better than Allardyce and he's done apparoximately fuck all in his career as a manager. Has he even made it into Europe before? He probably won't this season either, in spite of spending one of the largest Net's outside the Top 4.

He's saved teams from relegation a few times and also gone down before. He's brought in some good players for Pompey and they're doing OK at the moment, but they're squad warrants much better than 5 goalless home games on the bounce, and a better league table position on the whole. If he'd done that here he'd have gone by now n'all.

Would be a thoroughly pointless exchange. Like i was saying last night, if Mort has sat there and thought "I'm not giving £100m to Allardyce, we should give it to Redknapp..." then he's off his rocker.

He is at the same level as Allardyce and his peak as manager was saving teams from relegation or promoting them to the Premiership

I dont think we need that kind of guy or thats not the guy to take us where we want to be

Would be an utterly fucking pointless turn of events. He's no better than Allardyce and he's done apparoximately fuck all in his career as a manager. Has he even made it into Europe before? He probably won't this season either, in spite of spending one of the largest Net's outside the Top 4.

He's saved teams from relegation a few times and also gone down before. He's brought in some good players for Pompey and they're doing OK at the moment, but they're squad warrants much better than 5 goalless home games on the bounce, and a better league table position on the whole. If he'd done that here he'd have gone by now n'all.

Would be a thoroughly pointless exchange. Like i was saying last night, if Mort has sat there and thought "I'm not giving £100m to Allardyce, we should give it to Redknapp..." then he's off his rocker.

:thup:

The media don't have a f****** clue, man.

Don't put too much faith in that comment.

It's Redknapp who is in line for the job, and I'm sure he'll take it.

Why are they all hedging their bets then? Has anyone actually said the bit in bold, journo or otherwise, without adding on 'or it might be...'?

Just think he is too limited. has little experience in europe, has won next to nothing. is a slightly better than mediocre premiership manager. will get things going in the short term but cant see him taking us much further than 6th. i dont know he has the bottle to cope with all the expectation and shit he would get here, why should he. would be a sideways step at best and not worthy of sacking sam for imo.

its just a name that doesn't excite me.  He's done it at Portsmouth, but Allardyce did it at Bolton.

I'm also not sure how he'd do with a large transfer kitty.  Fair enough he's brought in class players, for example Muntari.  But then on the other hand, he splashed out on David Nugent....

Plenty of people on here wanted us to sign Nugent

No better than Allardyce?

I seem to remember plenty on here being happy with Allardyce, I wasn't against it either but most people hoped the poor standard of football he had Bolton playing would change when he got here, it didn't though and was often painful to watch.

Redknapp may not be better than Allardyce if you're looking at previous achievements but he's someone who gets his teams playing entertaining, attacking football, something I want to see here, give him money and I think he could put together an excellent team.

People need to be realistic about the calibre of manager who's going to come here, I'd love a Mourinho or a Hiddink but I just can't see it happening.

Would be an utterly f****** pointless turn of events. He's no better than Allardyce and he's done apparoximately f*** all in his career as a manager. Has he even made it into Europe before? He probably won't this season either, in spite of spending one of the largest Net's outside the Top 4.

I think though that he'd be the exact opposite to Allardyce to be honest, he style has always been to try and beat them rather than Allardyces stop them scoring try and nick it. I can see Redknapp using the money on buyng more more attacking options rather than looking for defensive options. A complete different philosphy. Id rather we had Redknapp to Keegan, they strike me as similar types of managers.

Just think he is too limited. has little experience in europe, has won next to nothing. is a slightly better than mediocre premiership manager. will get things going in the short term but cant see him taking us much further than 6th. i dont know he has the bottle to cope with all the expectation and shit he would get here, why should he. would be a sideways step at best and not worthy of sacking sam for imo.

He's got little experience of getting there, never mind being there. But it's a very good point. It's pretty obvious that our best chance of ever picking up silverware at the moment is in the Europe, the UEFA Cup. Aye, Allardyce didn't have much experience of European competition, but it's just another negative on Harry's behalf.

No better than Allardyce?

I seem to remember plenty on here being happy with Allardyce, I wasn't against it either but most people hoped the poor standard of football he had Bolton playing would change when he got here, it didn't though and was often painful to watch.

Redknapp may not be better than Allardyce if you're looking at previous achievements but he's someone who gets his teams playing entertaining, attacking football, something I want to see here, give him money and I think he could put together an excellent team.

People need to be realistic about the calibre of manager who's going to come here, I'd love a Mourinho or a Hiddink but I just can't see it happening.

Hughes and Redknapp probably are better than Allardyce, just not enough IMO. That sounds really snobby, but then I wouldn't have sacked him mid-season to do this.

In any other circumstances I'd agree with your final sentence.

Redknapp = Hughes = Allardyce.

Seems an awfully abrupt decision to make if we're just going to appoint another guy who's done nothing special over the others.

And I'd be gutted.

Precisely, Dave. Save our £100m* from Allardyce just to give it to Redknapp? Gerraway.

*obviously, before someone pedantic sillybilly picks up on it, i'm just using that figure hypothetically...