The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

POMPEY PLAY DOWN REDKNAPP TALK

Portsmouth have confirmed Harry Redknapp will remain as boss at Fratton Park despite being linked with the Newcastle job since Sam Allardyce's departure.

Redknapp was installed as bookmakers' favourite for the St James' Park post after the BBC reported Newcastle legend Alan Shearer wanted to continue in his Match of the Day punditry role.

However, Pompey maintain Redknapp is happy where he is and that there has been no contact with Newcastle.

"The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp," read a statement from Pompey.

"He remains as committed as ever to this football club. He recently signed a new improved four-year contract."

Redknapp's progress at Fratton Park, building attacking teams with balance, saw him suggested as a possible England candidate before Fabio Capello succeeded Steve McClaren.

Redknapp was also linked with Tottenham last season but has remained with Pompey where he has forged a reputation for being shrewd in the transfer market.

"The club has made significant investments over the last two years in both players and infrastructure and the results that are now being enjoyed are the fruits of those investments," the statement from Pompey added.

"Last season the club finished in its highest position for 52 years and this season we are on course to better that. We have recently won nine out of 10 away games, a club record.

"We are in the middle of the busiest time of the season because of a heavy fixture list and the month-long transfer window and as such this speculation is unhelpful."

It was at this time of the season two years ago that Redknapp arrived back at Fratton Park after his spell at rivals Southampton, then staged a miraculous battle against relegation. Pompey have been looking towards European qualification since.

Pompey's confidence in Redknapp's commitment was backed up by comments from the former West Ham boss.

"I really do not know anything about this. I have not spoken to anyone from Newcastle," Redknapp told The News in Portsmouth.

"When I saw Sam had left my immediate thoughts were that Alan Shearer was a certainty to take over.

"There's nothing in my being linked with the job. I had an offer not so long ago to take over at what I consider a massive club but I didn't go.

"I am happy down on the south coast."

Was that quote from Storrie (Pompey Chairman) just read out on SSN a new one?

"we havent had an approach, we want him to stay and think he will, but if he says he wants to leave, that obviously changes the situation' (paraphrasing, obv)

If Ashley and Mort appoint someone like Mclaren,Hughes or Redknapp they will be as stupid and incompetent as the previous board.

I just hope that they(Ashley and Mort) have realised that we need someone experienced who has won trophies in his career many many times and not just saved clubs from relegation

We need this:

Lippi

Mourihno

Del Bosque

Kuper

Van Gaal(not my favourite but...)

Scolari(after the summer)

Hitzfeld(after the summer)

I don't disagree, though Mourinho would have to be after the summer as well due the Chelsea departure clauses.

But as it's already been said the new man hopefully will be British, you can cross them all off the list! 

I've had £100 at 12/1 on Redknapp simply because the links between Redknapp and Ashley's best mate.  This is what I said a couple of months ago:

Generally speaking, I'd agree with you.  Redknapp has had his house outside Bournemouth since he first managed them and has refused to move even when he was managing West Ham.  But I know that Ashley and Kemsley have owned racehorses and that Kemsley and Redknapp have.  I was told yesterday that a couple were owned jointly by all three.  If that is right (and I've no reason to doubt it) that would put Ashley very close to Redknapp.  He'd never sell the Bournemouth place but whether he would move up to Tyneside is a bit more debateable.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=47106.msg1086582#msg1086582  (page 5)

Redknapp wouldn't be a bad choice for Newcastle, maybe just a bid short-termist.  I hope he gets it tbh.  He won't get me to Mauritius like Roeder but I could still get a decent break out of it! :lol:

Please let it be true!! :celb: :celb: :celb:

please take your enthusiasm elsewhere

If Ashley and Mort appoint someone like Mclaren,Hughes or Redknapp they will be as stupid and incompetent as the previous board.

I just hope that they(Ashley and Mort) have realised that we need someone experienced who has won trophies in his career many many times and not just saved clubs from relegation

We need this:

Lippi

Mourihno

Del Bosque

Kuper

Van Gaal(not my favourite but...)

Scolari(after the summer)

Hitzfeld(after the summer)

I don't disagree, though Mourinho would have to be after the summer as well due the Chelsea departure clauses.

But as it's already been said the new man hopefully will be British, you can cross them all off the list! 

I've had £100 at 12/1 on Redknapp simply because the links between Redknapp and Ashley's best mate.  This is what I said a couple of months ago:

Generally speaking, I'd agree with you.  Redknapp has had his house outside Bournemouth since he first managed them and has refused to move even when he was managing West Ham.  But I know that Ashley and Kemsley have owned racehorses and that Kemsley and Redknapp have.  I was told yesterday that a couple were owned jointly by all three.  If that is right (and I've no reason to doubt it) that would put Ashley very close to Redknapp.  He'd never sell the Bournemouth place but whether he would move up to Tyneside is a bit more debateable.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=47106.msg1086582#msg1086582  (page 5)

Redknapp wouldn't be a bad choice for Newcastle, maybe just a bid short-termist.  I hope he gets it tbh.  He won't get me to Mauritius like Roeder but I could still get a decent break out of it! :lol:

Please let it be true!! :celb: :celb: :celb:

I don't give a shit that you put a bet down.......I feel like punching you for wishing that.

Tomorrows Times

Redknapp insists Sunderland visit is no dry run for future journeys to North East

Nick Szczepanik

Harry Redknapp will travel to the North East this weekend, which suggests that the fixture computer can see into the future and has a wicked sense of humour. The reaction of the Sunderland supporters to the manager in the visiting team’s dugout at the Stadium of Light for Sunday’s match against Portsmouth may depend on how many of them have money on him to succeed Sam Allardyce as manager of Newcastle United.

Redknapp and Portsmouth denied yesterday that they have received approaches from Newcastle, but Redknapp remains favourite to take over at St James’ Park, which suggests that most punters believe that the surprise he professed yesterday at being linked with the job was probably a question of keeping up appearances.

“I really do not know anything about this,” he said. “I have not spoken to anyone from Newcastle. There’s nothing in my being linked with the job. I had an offer not so long ago to take over at what I consider a massive club, but I didn’t go. I am happy down on the South Coast.”

Portsmouth issued a statement describing speculation as “unhelpful” and said that they had received “no approaches for our valued manager”, who “remains as committed as ever to this football club”. Redknapp, though, will be torn between the prospect of managing a club of Newcastle’s potential and strut his stuff on the biggest stage of his career and the comfort zone of life in Hampshire, where exceeding early expectations was not difficult. However, his very success has created a new level of belief and he spent much of last summer playing down suggestions that Europe was a realistic target.

Redknapp knew that there were clouds on the horizon. Not only were four of his most influential players disappearing to the African Cup of Nations, but he must have feared a repeat of last season’s January transfer window, when negligible investment was made available for team strengthening. Redknapp has been signalling for weeks that he could afford to shop only for free transfers and loans, with money available only if players such as Matt Taylor are sold.

On the face of it Redknapp has plenty to offer Newcastle. He espouses attacking football, loves skilful players of the type idolised in the North East and has no more damning dismissal of a game than “I wouldn’t have paid to watch that”, which the Geordie public can understand only too well. On the other hand, he is the manager of a team who have not scored a league goal at home since September 29, which could be worth considering by the Newcastle owner.

Swapping one manager who refuses to talk to the BBC because of the Panorama investigation into bungs for another may look odd, while there may be misgivings on Tyneside over Redknapp’s arrest in November as part of an investigation by the City of London police into illegal payments to players. He is on bail until next month, although he strenuously denies involvement in any illegality and has accused police of being attracted to his high profile.

If he is offered the Newcastle job, Redknapp will have some hard thinking to do. If he turns it down, he can be reasonably certain that no other big job will be offered. Last August he told The Times that he had been approached by big clubs, “but I’m very happy here and I’ve enjoyed it.

I’m not a person who likes change, in all honesty. If I’m somewhere I’m happy, the money doesn’t matter and I’m not on an ego trip. I’m very happy here until such time as someone wants to change me. I love working here. The thought of going to any other club doesn’t interest me at all.”

The lack of a competitive transfer budget may have changed his mind. Much has been made of Redknapp’s disinclination to move from his home in Sandbanks, a peninsula bordering on Poole Harbour, where house prices can approach eight figures. If he sold, he could easily afford to buy anything on offer in Ponteland, the village favoured by Newcastle players including Alan Shearer. Renting would be well within his means and perhaps wise, bearing in mind the transient nature of managers’ employment.

At a pinch, he could even commute. Flybe operate regular flights of 1hr 15min to Newcastle from Southampton airport. This weekend could be a dry run.

Was that quote from Storrie (Pompey Chairman) just read out on SSN a new one?

"we havent had an approach, we want him to stay and think he will, but if he says he wants to leave, that obviously changes the situation' (paraphrasing, obv)

Oh bollocks.

What do you think of Redknapp, Jol?

I honestly think he be good for you.  Better than Jol by a distance and more streetwise than Hughes.  He might seem like an East London barrow boy but so is Kemsley, so is Ashley.  The fact that they've known each other for years counts for a hell of a lot imho.  If Redknapp said he wanted to spend £50m in this window, I don't believe for a minute that Ashley would say no. 

I honestly think he be good for you.  Better than Jol by a distance and more streetwise than Hughes.  He might seem like an East London barrow boy but so is Kemsley, so is Ashley.  The fact that they've known each other for years counts for a hell of a lot imho.  If Redknapp said he wanted to spend £50m in this window, I don't believe for a minute that Ashley would say no. 

have to say what kemsley was saying about MA investing more sounded promising

Ashley's from Buckinghamshire man.

damn you Jol, didn't you also win a big load of money when Roeder was appointed  blueyes.gif

£50 at 66/1 (though I laid some off) got me 2 weeks in Mauritius. :lol:

Roeder was just on a lucky streak though.  No doubt in my mind Redknapp will be a success.

Probably been posted but I didn't see it myself:

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/index.php?cms_id=78&qs_articleid=804&qs_media=html

PORTSMOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT

Portsmouth Football Club would like to make a statement following speculation by the press and broadcast media.

We take it as a compliment that our players and personnel are often linked with some of the top football clubs in this country and indeed abroad. It is a testimony to the quality of their work.

However, we do feel it necessary to correct some inaccuracies in reports that have surfaced. The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp.

He remains as committed as ever to this football club.

He recently signed a new improved four-year contract with Portsmouth.

The club has made significant investments over the last two years in both players and infrastructure and the results that are now being enjoyed are the fruits of those investments.

Last season the club finished in its highest position for 52 years and this season we are on course to better that. We have recently won nine out of 10 away games, a club record.

We are in the middle of the busiest time of the season because of a heavy fixture list and the month-long transfer window and as such this speculation is unhelpful.

It's not new though.

Probably been posted but I didn't see it myself:

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/index.php?cms_id=78&qs_articleid=804&qs_media=html

PORTSMOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT

Portsmouth Football Club would like to make a statement following speculation by the press and broadcast media.

We take it as a compliment that our players and personnel are often linked with some of the top football clubs in this country and indeed abroad. It is a testimony to the quality of their work.

However, we do feel it necessary to correct some inaccuracies in reports that have surfaced. The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp.

He remains as committed as ever to this football club.

He recently signed a new improved four-year contract with Portsmouth.

The club has made significant investments over the last two years in both players and infrastructure and the results that are now being enjoyed are the fruits of those investments.

Last season the club finished in its highest position for 52 years and this season we are on course to better that. We have recently won nine out of 10 away games, a club record.

We are in the middle of the busiest time of the season because of a heavy fixture list and the month-long transfer window and as such this speculation is unhelpful.

It's not new though.

Very defensive and emotional that.

Ashley's from Buckinghamshire man.

Trading like an Eastender though.  Paul Kemsley, Philip Green, Alan Sugar, Mike Ashley, they're all like peas in a pod when dealing with money.

If it is Redknapp, hopefully he will bring Tony Adams with him... might help our defenders and he has worked with Taylor before