The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is anyone else hoping this is just one huge smokescreen?

Mike Ashley watches the games with the fans, surely when disguntled fans where shouting for Big Sam out they didn't mention Redknapp at all?

I think more people are against this than Roeder and Souness and that is saying something.

I am really no happy with this move if it comes off. Before he took over Newcastle I would have regarded Big Sam a far better manager than Harry Redknapp.

If he got appointed of course he would get my full support but I see us 5 months down the line speculating who our 3rd manager under Ashley will be.

No, i don't think its a smokescreen. I think it's more likely to be an almighty fuck up.

Why would Redknapp come to us? I mean he's doing very well with Portsmouth.  They are 5 points from 4th and have some cracking players.  Future is brighter for him there than coming here and starting again, with the added pressure that he will be sacked in a years time if we are again around 11th in the table.

I think Harry (who I like, incidentally) has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about not having been given a crack at a big job - witness his comments about the England position which kind of showed this.

This is his chance. FWIW I also think he's gone as far as he can with Portsmouth.

The only thing i was wondering is that he'll never leave his enormo-house at Sandbanks (and neither would I want to) but if MA is lending him his jet to commute and he is prepared to do it then that is that problem out of the way.

Why would Redknapp come to us? I mean he's doing very well with Portsmouth.  They are 5 points from 4th and have some cracking players.  Future is brighter for him there than coming here and starting again, with the added pressure that he will be sacked in a years time if we are again around 11th in the table.

I think Harry (who I like, incidentally) has a bit of a chip on his shoulder about not having been given a crack at a big job - witness his comments about the England position which kind of showed this.

This is his chance. FWIW I also think he's gone as far as he can with Portsmouth.

The only thing i was wondering is that he'll never leave his enormo-house at Sandbanks (and neither would I want to) but if MA is lending him his jet to commute and he is prepared to do it then that is that problem out of the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbanks

A bit better than Benwell!

Why would he live in Benwell?

He's a mediocre manager, English, old, will retire in a few years, accused of being corrupt. It's an appointment that says the owner has no ambition and no will to look beyond the usual managerial merry-go-round of dire mediocrity.

Get that out of your system now, we're not allowed to say it any more if he's announced.  We have to fix a smile and say he needs time through gritted teeth.

Or go through this exact same process again? Where we appoint another manager that underwhelms?

Dont you see the folly of this yet, now that the reality of your wishes from last week are staring you in the face this week?

I often think you're the most intelligent poster on this forum bluestar but you seem to be failing to spot the obvious here.

My wishes last week were that we should be looking to improve on Sam but only if we could replace him with someone better and if not it would make us an utter joke, as has transipred.  I'd love to be proved wrong and think that we're not going to have to pay him £15m after a year to save ourselves from utter disaster.

Well, i thought the problem was the style of football? Same results but better style = better manager?

I'll be really disappointed if we sign Redknapp. I rate him as a manager and he would have been a good appointment instead of signing Allardyce in the first place... but sacking Sam to replace him with Redknapp is stupidity. He's not THAT much better in any department. In terms of fitness and training I'd say Allardyce has the better reputation. In terms of signing youngsters you'd have to say Allardyce looked to be going about it the right way.

Sam shouldn't have been sacked. End of. Now he has been sacked he needs to be replaced by someone significantly better or it was a pointless exercise. A waste of money over the summer, a waste of money bringing in the staff he wanted, a waste of money getting rid of him and his staff, more money to put out signing the players the new manager will want.

All that just to swap Allardyce for Redknapp is lunacy.

Agree!

Saying nothing and everything basically, sounds like he's resigned to Harry slinging his hook.

"You obviously expect him to take charge at Sunderland?"

"Yes, as it stands, I don't see anything at this moment in time that will interfere with that"

Doesn't sound very convinced of himself at all.

if we were to settle with average, i would much rather see us with keegan and shearer.

The same Shearer whos never managed before and Keegan who claims not to have watched a match since leaving man city? Lets Get Les Ferdinand, Rob Lee and John Beresford in on the act too!!

I think he's imlpying they are average mate.

So are we, and to add that to our recored of outing managers withing a year, no top class name will come here.

now we are average yes, but i dont want us staying average. if we are to compete for the top6, or even cl, then we have to have the balls to go after someone better than harry red. seen stories about 5mill a year sallary, and it would probably not been a huge extra amount required to get a top notch foreign manager, promising him loads of money for new arrivals.

Didn't say he would. Rhymes with "bit bitter" and Darras Hall just wouldn't work. Jeez.....

5million a year reports were either media bullocks or a scam to try attract foreign boss throwing themselves to the job.

I mean who the fuck doesn't want a job with 5 million fucking pounds a year? :lol:

Didn't say he would. Rhymes with "bit bitter" and Darras Hall just wouldn't work. Jeez.....

I lived in Jesmond for a while in the 80s. It was very nice back then. I can only imagine it has become nicer in the intervening 20 years.

I'm sure the Redknapps would be very happy there (I'm assuming the students have been priced out).

Guest johnson293

David Craig waiting to hear from someone talking to Chris Mort

It'll be elsie the tealady, taking his lunch order!

Not sure what to make of that Joe Jordan interview. Said that 'arry came in this morning and had a bit of a joke about the whole thing, "faackin noocarstle, moi bam 'ole" and all that. Apparently Redknapp's out with the chairman today having a chat with a player they're trying to get in.

Still wouldn't rule anything in or out. Jordan seemed to think he'd be there come Sunday, but didn't give a conclusive answer.

Why would Redknapp come to us? I mean he's doing very well with Portsmouth.  They are 5 points from 4th and have some cracking players.   Future is brighter for him there than coming here and starting again, with the added pressure that he will be sacked in a years time if we are again around 11th in the table.

I lived in Jesmond for a while in the 80s. It was very nice back then. I can only imagine it has become nicer in the intervening 20 years.

I'm sure the Redknapps would be very happy there (I'm assuming the students have been priced out).

Nah. Just richer students now. The type whose daddies buy 'em Range Rovers and the like. Tossers.

Alan Oliver has spoken:

Harry's game

Jan 11 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Harry Redknapp

NEWCASTLE United were expected to make their move for Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp today.

And the word coming out of the south coast today was that Portsmouth are almost resigned to losing their 61-year-old manager.

United owner Mike Ashley is in Hong Kong today, but perhaps significantly chairman Chris Mort was not in his St James’s Park office Tyneside.

Redknapp turned up at the Portsmouth training ground as usual today to prepare his side for Sunday’s game with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

The majority of Pompey fans are distraught at losing Redknapp, but on the other hand he is experienced enough to know that he will have to win over some Newcastle supporters.

And sources close to him told me today that he will do that by winning football matches.

And those sources also told me Redknapp would turn down Mike Ashley’s offer of a private jet to fly him between Tyneside and his luxury home in Bournemouth from Southampton airport.

An associate of Redknapp insisted: “If he does move to Newcastle, Harry will obviously keep his place in Bournemouth but buy a place in Newcastle and live there.”

Understandably, Redknapp’s wife Sandra will be not keen to leave the south coast, but I believe the pull of managing Newcastle United will sway him.

There is already talk that should he arrive at Newcastle he would bring Portsmouth central defender Sol Campbell with him and that Spurs right-back Pascal Chimbonda would be another target.

Redknapp is still the bookies’ favourite to replace Sam Allardyce, with Blackburn boss Mark Hughes as second favourite.

Blackburn used to be sponsored by one of Mike Ashley companies and he often turned up at games at Ewood Park.

He met Hughes and has always been impressed by the job the former Manchester United, Chelsea and Welsh striker has done on limited funds with Blackburn.

But Redknapp is still the man Mike Ashley wants. He was quick to reassure Everton supremo Bill Kenwright that he had no interest in his manager David Moyes in a phone call between Hong Kong and London late last night.

Pompey yesterday evening warned they would not welcome any approach, but sources on Tyneside have suggested that Redknapp is ready to listen to what they have to say.

Redknapp emerged as one of the favourites within hours of Allardyce’s departure on Wednesday evening as Alan Shearer receded in the betting following suggestions that the club was looking for an experienced manager.

A hint that the man at the top of the list was currently in work did little to quell the speculation, and Redknapp and Blackburn’s Mark Hughes pulled clear at the head of the field amid an emotional groundswell for Kevin Keegan.

Redknapp insisted he had not been contacted by anyone from Newcastle and that he was happy where he was.

However he did not categorically rule himself out, something Pompey later attempted to do by issuing their own statement.

It said: “The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp. He remains as committed as ever to this football club.

“He recently signed a new improved four-year contract with Portsmouth.

“The club has made significant investments over the last two years in both players and infrastructure and the results that are now being enjoyed are the fruits of those investments.

“Last season, the club finished in its highest position for 52 years and this season we are on course to better that. We have recently won nine out of 10 away games, a club record.

“We are in the middle of the busiest time of the season because of a heavy fixture list and the month-long transfer window and as such this speculation is unhelpful.”

An approach for Redknapp now seems imminent, and while Portsmouth would have every right to reject it , they could then face a fight to hang on to a man who may find the lure of one more big job too much to resist.

Newcastle certainly believe they can tempt Redknapp, who has worked wonders in his second spell at Fratton Park. Only the club’s recent indifferent home form has denied them a place in the Premier League’s top six.

Guest johnson293

Why would Redknapp come to us? I mean he's doing very well with Portsmouth.  They are 5 points from 4th and have some cracking players.   Future is brighter for him there than coming here and starting again, with the added pressure that he will be sacked in a years time if we are again around 11th in the table.

Nah. Just richer students now. The type whose daddies buy 'em Range Rovers and the like. Tossers.

And Osborne Road is just a posh version of the Bigg Market now!

5million a year reports were either media bullocks or a scam to try attract foreign boss throwing themselves to the job.

I mean who the fuck doesn't want a job with 5 million fucking pounds a year? :lol:

FYI thats more than double what Sven reportedly earns here.

The majority of Pompey fans are distraught at losing Redknapp, but on the other hand he is experienced enough to know that he will have to win over some Newcastle supporters.

And sources close to him told me today that he will do that by winning football matches.

:lol: Thanks for the hot tip, Alan.

Guest johnson293

Alan Oliver has spoken:

'And the word coming out of the south coast today was.....'

'And sources close to him told me.....'

'And those sources also told me.....'

'An associate of Redknapp insisted...'

'There is already talk.....'

So still no actual quotes from anyone remotely believable??!!

Thanks Alan. Now get back to blowing peoples socks off!

:lol: Thanks for the hot tip, Alan.

:lol: Fantastic.

...but perhaps significantly chairman Chris Mort was not in his St James’s Park office Tyneside.

Aye, that just what he gets his secretary to tell you, you shitehawk.

Also, is this sentence not one of the worst you've ever fucking read? How a journalist can write something that would make Yoda cry is beyond belief.