The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest KieronVxu

How about a question?

If, at the start of the week someone told you that Allardyce would be sacked and replaced by Redknapp, what would your response have been ?

Dead certain NO! Cannot believe we're doing the same thing all over again, 'Ary may be more of an attack minded manager but by no means is he a better, more proven manager than Sam.

Gutted we didn't take this opportunity to attract a top foreign manager, because with this appointment I'm affraid the fans/media situation will be even worse than with Sam.

Let's face it, 'Ary will never win anything with Newcastle.

Just GUTTED

The problem wasn't "winning ugly" or the "style".  The problem was basic, avoidably, repeated errors and no sign at all of anything resembling progress coupled with comparible results.

Well then wont Redknapp be an improvement on this horrible scenario?

Don't think I'm knee jerking here because I wanted someone stupidly unobtainable like Jose by the way.  I'd have prefered Jol, O'Neill, Keegan, Shearer, even sticking with Sam rather than this farce.  Phrasing it as "Be careful what you wish for" is a fallacy - if when we'd got rid of Souness we'd replaced him with Howard Wilkinson would that have fallen squarely on the shoulders of those who'd been vocal about Graemes failings over the previous months?

No, that would be the decision-maker / chairman (whoever is in charge these days).

I would also have preferred to stick with Sam rather than this farce.

Guest LucaAltieri

He's a mediocre manager, English, old, will retire in a few years, accused of being corrupt. It's an appointment that says the owner has no ambition and no will to look beyond the usual managerial merry-go-round of dire mediocrity.

Get that out of your system now, we're not allowed to say it any more if he's announced.  We have to fix a smile and say he needs time through gritted teeth.

Or go through this exact same process again? Where we appoint another manager that underwhelms?

Dont you see the folly of this yet, now that the reality of your wishes from last week are staring you in the face this week?

I often think you're the most intelligent poster on this forum bluestar but you seem to be failing to spot the obvious here.

My wishes last week were that we should be looking to improve on Sam but only if we could replace him with someone better and if not it would make us an utter joke, as has transipred.  I'd love to be proved wrong and think that we're not going to have to pay him £15m after a year to save ourselves from utter disaster.

Well, i thought the problem was the style of football? Same results but better style = better manager?

I'll be really disappointed if we sign Redknapp. I rate him as a manager and he would have been a good appointment instead of signing Allardyce in the first place... but sacking Sam to replace him with Redknapp is stupidity. He's not THAT much better in any department. In terms of fitness and training I'd say Allardyce has the better reputation. In terms of signing youngsters you'd have to say Allardyce looked to be going about it the right way.

Sam shouldn't have been sacked. End of. Now he has been sacked he needs to be replaced by someone significantly better or it was a pointless exercise. A waste of money over the summer, a waste of money bringing in the staff he wanted, a waste of money getting rid of him and his staff, more money to put out signing the players the new manager will want.

All that just to swap Allardyce for Redknapp is lunacy.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does anyone have any idea who the big club are that Redknapp turned down recently ???

spurs

That's who I assumed.

Shocks me that a southerner would turn down Tottenham to come here a few months later.

Spurs? The same Spurs who had Ramos in their sights since last season?

His win ratio throughout his career is hardly inspiring nor encouraging. :(

Well if you don't manage one of the big 4 it's not going to be that high and if you've managed some of the teams Harry has then it's never going to much above one win in 3 (no idea what Harry's is mind)

The problem wasn't "winning ugly" or the "style".  The problem was basic, avoidably, repeated errors and no sign at all of anything resembling progress coupled with comparible results.

Well then wont Redknapp be an improvement on this horrible scenario?

I dunno, is gonnorea an improvement on syphillis?

No, that would be the decision-maker / chairman (whoever is in charge these days).

And that's who I'm blaming for this, the person responsible for the decision of sacking Sam without a half decent replacement lined up so we have to go the familiar route of spunking a fortune on getting our hands on an unremarkable manager from another club and giving him a contract that not many people seriously believe he's going to see out.

I would have prefered to have stuck with Sam longer then what we have done and im not to sure about Redknapp yet.

Ok here is my dream scenario.

Klinsmann has accepted to take the Munich job next season leaving Hitzfeld free.

Strike a deal with Hitzfeld to become manager at the start of next season and until then beg SBR to be our caretaker manager for the rest of the season....yes i know he aint well so this would most likely never happen but im dreaming remember !!

We have martins who is potentially better than Utaka. I remember Redknapp trying to sign martins before roeder eventually did.

So now Viduka will be our lone striker with owen on the left and martins on the right just like John carew with agbonlahor + moore.

I wonder how we will react if nzogbia continues to play left-back under redknapp.  :razz: :iamatwat:

That's the crux of this entire thing for me, it's just silly.

Also, this is possibly the one time the club should be saying something. The speculation is unbelievable.

Why would Redknapp come to us? I mean he's doing very well with Portsmouth.  They are 5 points from 4th and have some cracking players.  Future is brighter for him there than coming here and starting again, with the added pressure that he will be sacked in a years time if we are again around 11th in the table.

I would have prefered to have stuck with Sam longer then what we have done and im not to sure about Redknapp yet.

Klinsmann has accepted to take the Munich job next season leaving Hitzfeld free.

Strike a deal with Hitzfeld to become manager at the start of next season and until then beg SBR to be our caretaker manager for the rest of the season....yes i know he aint well so this would most likely never happen but im dreaming remember !!

Nice idea, but as you say it won't happen. SBR simply isn't well enough, even to do the job temporarily.

Guest elbee909

In no way is that possible as far as Bobby's concerned.

I dunno, is gonnorea an improvement on syphillis?

:lol: Bit harsh.

And that's who I'm blaming for this, the person responsible for the decision of sacking Sam without a half decent replacement lined up so we have to go the familiar route of spunking a fortune on getting our hands on an unremarkable manager from another club and giving him a contract that not many people seriously believe he's going to see out.

Agreed on that. The only type of appointment that justifies doing this at this time is a world class manager. If this goes through, then it shows naivety at the top of the club.

I'd be content with Redknapp. I just find it baffling that people think this Newcastle job is attractive to a top manager. You can't please everyone but just look at some of the reactions of people in this thread. Some people have it in for him before he even takes charge of a game (if he does). It doesn't fucking help.

and getting behind a manager who won't bring success is EXACTLY what helps, yes?

Hwo can Spurs get Ramos, and we have to settle for fucking Redknapp??

Because as you've been telling us for ages now,  we're just a useless,  pathetic midtable side?

We have been, yes. Unless you're stupid enough to fall for the shite peddled by Souness/Roeder/Allardyce when they've fucked up games we shoudl have won?

Is anyone else hoping this is just one huge smokescreen?

Mike Ashley watches the games with the fans, surely when disguntled fans where shouting for Big Sam out they didn't mention Redknapp at all?

I think more people are against this than Roeder and Souness and that is saying something.

I am really no happy with this move if it comes off. Before he took over Newcastle I would have regarded Big Sam a far better manager than Harry Redknapp.

If he got appointed of course he would get my full support but I see us 5 months down the line speculating who our 3rd manager under Ashley will be.

That's the crux of this entire thing for me, it's just silly.

Also, this is possibly the one time the club should be saying something. The speculation is unbelievable.

I agree Dave, but I don't think it can really be called a farce yet, I mean it's only a couple of days since Sam left... even if Mort knew who he was appointing negotiations would still be going on now.