Paul Merson

Disco

gambling like that is an addiction and you lot are stupid

Good words Mad.  He has my sympathy as I know what it's like (not to the extent he's blown of course but it's all relative) as I've been battling gambling addiction for at least last 10 years. No sh*t.  Fortunately not lost the house but there are days I worry it will happen. I think if it were not for the bairn then I'd be knackered and wor lass, for all I call her on here (jokingly) is great......Funny thing is I've never been on a fruit machine or those roulette machines found in bookies in my life.  Horses and poker.

gambling like that is an addiction and you lot are stupid

Nobody forced him into his addiction, I've had enough of pillocks blaming everyone else but the ******* addict for their weakness and stupidity - and blaming those for not taking the same pillocky view is the REAL stupidity. Those that seem to have sympathy are those who have had weaknesses of one sort or other themselves - fair enough, you are sympathising with yourself in a roundabout way - I haven't and WON'T - theres plenty who DO have problems and beat them,. The only ones you hear of are the worthless tossers who want others to do their suffering for them.

He and Warren Barton are the most infuriatingly stupid pundits/co-commentators I have come across. Niether can pronounce anything, frequently forget what they're sayiing halfway through a sentence and only use the word "quality" to describe anything positive.

Guest ObaStar

there is no such thing as a mental addiction. The only true addictions are physical like with heroin and alcohol and some other drugs. thats why you can't get addicted to marijuana

there is no such thing as a mental addiction. The only true addictions are physical like with heroin and alcohol and some other drugs. thats why you can't get addicted to marijuana

The only place an addiction can be beat is in the mind, the body may send a signal of craving but it is the mind that succumbs or resists.

Not entirely true.  Mental stimuli can release chemicals into the body which it is possible for the body to become tuned to.  Once the body becomes used to a certain level of these chemicals, removal of them can result in feelings of tiredness, anxiety and depression.

Guest clownhat

nothing wrong with sex drugs alcohol and gambling... maybe not to his extent mind but...

just watched spurs vs arsenal on tele and at least he understands our pain now even if just for one night!

It's a psychological addiction. The mind's more powerful than the body.

The mind is just a reaction of chemicals, and addicts are addicted to the chemicals produced by gambling.

The mind is not just a reaction of chemicals. If it is, how would you explain 'consciousness', or even something like simpler like the placebo effect?

It's a psychological addiction. The mind's more powerful than the body.

The mind is just a reaction of chemicals, and addicts are addicted to the chemicals produced by gambling.

The mind is not just a reaction of chemicals. If it is, how would you explain 'consciousness', or even something like simpler like the placebo effect?

O0

A) All addictions are at least partly mental. That's why smokers struggle to give up long after the chemicals leave their bodies. They always say "I need something to do with my hands" or "I always have a cigarette when I drink" yet can cope fine at other times. That's a mental thing, not physical.

B) Why can't you get addicted to weed? You can get addicted to sex, chocolate, food in general, computers, TV and all manner of other things. Marijuana is a mind-altering drug and of course it's possible for it to become addictive. Not that I'm saying it always does, I smoked the stuff heavily for years and then stopped when I got bored with no problems at all but to suggest it's not possible to get addicted to something is a little far-fetched and  completely wide of the mark.

C) If Merson isn't addicted, why the f#ck do you think he keeps doing it? Do you think he has some kind of wish to live on the streets. Gambling's an addiction as real as any other.

Guest ObaStar

Ok there is a difference between mental and physical addictions.

When you are physically addicted your body needs the shit as it is used to functioning with say a certain level of alcohol or benzo or whatever in it. That is why you go through withdrawal when you stop. That is the definition of an addiction.

A mental addiction is just giving into your cravings. If you dont do it, nothuing bad physically will happen, unlike with heroin where you will start to vomit, halucinate etc. When you are addicted mentally it is simply you not being a strong enough person to resist your urges to get a rush from gambling. People call it an addiction because they want to justify their habit and physiologically it helps them live with themselves when you can say. oh wtever im addicted, ther is nothing I can do.