Bobby Robson - "Geremi old", Shearer for job

nufc4eva

Enrique looks poor, overall. Faye has made some bad, bad mistakes, but gotten away with many of them. He's been ok, but there should be better to come. Beye has done well, he's been v good.

Not really fair to compare full backs to centre backs, though. I think Taylor and Faye would be a good partnership, once Faye properlly beds in, and once there is a decent LB next to them. I genuinely think Taylor will come on next to the likes of Beye, as well. Can only be good for the development of a player that i think can becoem a very good centre back.

I don't think Enrique looks poor, like the others he's had his moments but needs games.

Maybe he'll pick up, but he's looked way out of his depth to me. Hopefully he'll click, and at least HE has the excuse of not being an EPL-experienced player. Not liek some of the other flops.

Enrique looks poor, overall. Faye has made some bad, bad mistakes, but gotten away with many of them. He's been ok, but there should be better to come. Beye has done well, he's been v good.

Not really fair to compare full backs to centre backs, though. I think Taylor and Faye would be a good partnership, once Faye properlly beds in, and once there is a decent LB next to them. I genuinely think Taylor will come on next to the likes of Beye, as well. Can only be good for the development of a player that i think can becoem a very good centre back.

I don't think Enrique looks poor, like the others he's had his moments but needs games.

Maybe he'll pick up, but he's looked way out of his depth to me. Hopefully he'll click, and at least HE has the excuse of not being an EPL-experienced player. Not liek some of the other flops.

His distribution is fairly poor, that's the only stand-out weakness i can see. He's strong, he's quick and he works well with the centre-back next to him. He had Ronaldo pretty much sewn up down that wing in the first half yesterday, too. I really like him, i think he'll be really good.

Not really sure which bad, bad mistakes you're referring to with Faye - but if you can highlight them then i won't argue for now. My gut reaction is, is that's he's the best defender we've had since Woodgate.

His distribution is fairly poor, that's the only stand-out weakness i can see. He's strong, he's quick and he works well with the centre-back next to him. He had Ronaldo pretty much sewn up down that wing in the first half yesterday, too. I really like him, i think he'll be really good.

Not really sure which bad, bad mistakes you're referring to with Faye - but if you can highlight them then i won't argue for now. My gut reaction is, is that's he's the best defender we've had since Woodgate.

Faye has, frequently, let himself get caught out of position. It might just be a case of needing to get to know the other 3 in a settled back 4, but where i sit, i'm in line with the box, and its been noticeable.

can't agree on Enrique so far, though. He doesn't seem to interact with the CB at all for me, and his strength is yet to be seen as far as i recall, he's not looked as much of a tin man as Rozenhal, but he's no where near a player with only the one failing you mention.

Faye has, frequently, let himself get caught out of position. It might just be a case of needing to get to know the other 3 in a settled back 4, but where i sit, i'm in line with the box, and its been noticeable.

can't agree on Enrique so far, though. He doesn't seem to interact with the CB at all for me, and his strength is yet to be seen as far as i recall, he's not looked as much of a tin man as Rozenhal, but he's no where near a player with only the one failing you mention.

I'll watch Faye more closely from here on in, you're a better judge of his play positionally anyhow - difficult to depict from the television. But to me he's looked like an absolute ox, comfortable in the tackle and - especially - superb in the air. There's one misplaced header of his that i can think of, and that was against Stoke, where it ballooned up but was cleared anyhow. I keep referring to that one against Kenwyne Jones, where he was facing his own goal yet still managed to divert it out the box. I think he's great.

Enrique though, i'm surprised you say that. His strength has been what's most prominent for me. He doesn't seem to make too many tackles cos he just wins the ball, grabs it, turns and holds off the opposition player then gets rid. The Stoke game isn't a brilliant example cos it's an inferior team, but he was quality in that first half. He looks good to me.

Like i say, we've got plenty of good defenders. There's nowt wrong with our defense imo (well, you know what i mean), it just needs consistency. And a couple of decent centre-mids infront.

Guest elbee909

Defence needs more time to bed in.  Most of the new defensive recruits at even the top clubs don't just turn it on suddenly.  Neither Evra nor Vidic looked great to begin with.  Enrique looks like he has some decent basic qualities.

I haven't completely written off Rozehnal yet either.

I'll watch Faye more closely from here on in, you're a better judge of his play positionally anyhow - difficult to depict from the television. But to me he's looked like an absolute ox, comfortable in the tackle and - especially - superb in the air. There's one misplaced header of his that i can think of, and that was against Stoke, where it ballooned up but was cleared anyhow. I keep referring to that one against Kenwyne Jones, where he was facing his own goal yet still managed to divert it out the box. I think he's great.

Enrique though, i'm surprised you say that. His strength has been what's most prominent for me. He doesn't seem to make too many tackles cos he just wins the ball, grabs it, turns and holds off the opposition player then gets rid. The Stoke game isn't a brilliant example cos it's an inferior team, but he was quality in that first half. He looks good to me.

Like i say, we've got plenty of good defenders. There's nowt wrong with our defense imo (well, you know what i mean), it just needs consistency. And a couple of decent centre-mids infront.

Watch Faye, definately. I don't think its terminal - and he's clearly bright/good enough to learn, he's no Bramble. I just worry about us getting on our collective knees and unzipping a players flies before he's even really got going (reference Geremi pre season, Barton, Viduka).

I think we have 3 good defenders  - Beye, Taylor, Faye (positional issues notwithstanding) - one who'll hopfully make it - Enrique - and thats it. We need cover, but you're right, though - we have LESS in other areas. 

Guest Toon Barmy

Lets not over sentamentalise things too much folks. SBR gave us 2 very good seasons and one decent one, but he was far from flawless and also made a lot of mistakes.

your name sums you up

Enrique was pretty good and I think he will be a good player. Quick, strong and knows what he is doing. Was always trying to get into the game aswell instead of hiding.

To be honest, the selection wasn't too bad, but we were never going to win it.

Let's forget it happened...

Guest Ridzuan

people wanting sbr back :lol:

haway man, jesus christ

Cant happen.His health is just too dangerous for him to take such a high risk job again.So hell be better sitting out in the stand and watching the game.

Cacapa is still regarded very highly in France. most Lyon fans would have him back right now.. he's a big fan favorite there.

now, it's obvious he makes some mistakes and often looks like a liability, but an experienced player of his type is an asset as a squad player.. i'd keep him in, although i have a feeling he'll be off to Saudi Arabia or somewhere at the end of the season..

Rozenhal has plenty of shortcomings too, but still could do a job if he works on his concentration (yeah, i know)..

right now, our best defence seems Beye - Taylor - Faye - Enrique

overall, i'm happy with our defenders.. i think it's a matter of time before they start to play as a unit more

Enrique did well first half, miles better than his previous turgid rubbish.

Cacapa looks an absolute donkey tbh.

Have to agree with that. Shows how piss easy Ligue 1 is.

If I was walking in as manager I'd ask him and Geremee and Roze to leave the building.

Put Martins, Viduka and Own in the transfer list if the window was still open.

Rather start with Carroll and that aussie bloke than the above.

I like how Northern Monkey thinks Faye has had shocking moments yet talks Taylor up like he's the next John Terry or something.

Monkey won't stop frothing till we have £50m back line. Even then it will be close......

Is it now illegal in Newcastle to even slightly criticise Bobby Robsons regime?  :lol:

His two years when we finished 4th and 3rd were great, what came before it was very very average and what came after, was a relative let down.

A lot of people said this at the time, but it seems his ill health and recent BBC award have lofted him into the footballing version of the Queen Mother, where its tantamount to sacrilege to question him.

Is it now illegal in Newcastle to even slightly criticise Bobby Robsons regime?  :lol:

His two years when we finished 4th and 3rd were great, what came before it was very very average and what came after, was a relative let down.

A lot of people said this at the time, but it seems his ill health and recent BBC award have lofted him into the footballing version of the Queen Mother, where its tantamount to sacrilege to question him.

Have a listen to yourself you extremely pathetic ungrateful individual.

Your getting off on slagging off a man who turned Newcastle United around from a sinking ship of 17th to 3rd, 4th, 5th Champions League football and consistent European football qualification managed Newcastle United to its best EVER points total of 71 points in our Premiership history joint with Keegan's 71 points that came 2nd not only that but a man that loved this club more then anyone I mean the man is 74 years old where was he last Tuesday night at Newcastle United's reserve game his love for our club despite how he has treated him is quite unbelievable.

I don't know where the f**k have you been for the last 5 years? and where the f**k were you during the 5 years before Sir Bobby Robson? But I suggest you go get some perspective before spouting your mouth off.

One thing is for sure you will be waiting a VERY LONG TIME till Newcastle United hit the heights of Sir Bobby Robson's 3rd, 4th, 5th and consistent European football again a very very long time.

:thup: