Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

Guest sicko2ndbest

Keegan has just been on Sky and said Newcastle was a club he loved and that he wouldn't rule himself in or out, if we go for him we'll get him if he's offered enough transfer money.

Cheers Mick but this happened about 9am this morning  O0

The new manager needs time.

Shearer/Keegan/both would get time.

Any other manager would get no more than a few months before fans turned if there wasn't instant change.

Simple as really.

Are you saying if we aren't in the top 8 within 4 months a manager like Hughes will be under huge pressure?

Nope he'll have until atleast this time next season to prove himself. This season is a write-off. I don't expect much from here till May.

Look at Allardyce. No different to Hughes, if he doesn't do better, people will be on his back too. It's how things work at this club now.

Like I keep saying. Sam's brand of football along with strange tactics was ultimately his downfall not just the results. He also made some very s**** signings, these all attributed to him being hounded.

Have you seen Blackburn? They are not exactly a footballing team. They are more Bolton than Portsmouth or what our fans have quite clearly shown they want - attacking football. Under Hughes it would be much of the same, lots of scrapping and battling with the odd decent performance in terms of football.

I don't agree there.

Let's look at some of their midfielders.

Bentley, Pedersen, Dunn, Tugay, Reid.

I'm sure i'm forgetting someone but these lot are hardly Geremi's, Butt's and Smith's. Tugay can run no more than Geremi but he's a damn good passer.

They used to play Bellamy and Sinama-Pongolle upfront and they played some marvellous football. they scrap but they have some good ball players. Bentley shits on everyone of our midfielders from a great height in terms of technique. I reckon they play better football than Pompey who are a counter-attacking team who mostly play 1 upfront.

One thing Keegan is never acknowledged for is that the 3 clubs that he got promoted playing good football have all managed (so far) to stay in the Premiership.

First season with Man City he took them up with a record breaking points total and scored 125 (125!) goals in the process. The next season he took them to 9th in the Premiership.

If someone did that now who wasn't Kevin Keegan, the media would be jizzing all over him.

They would indeed. The fact as I can see is that he saved us twice when we were f&&&&d. Why not a third? Its a track record of success with us.  I realize that there were no trophies but 2nd in the PL would be a great place to be right now.

Apparently not, he's a loser.

To be honest, I genuinely don't have a clue if Keegan could do it now but I do absolutely hate seeing Newcastle fans slag the man off. Nowt like being grateful is there?

One thing Keegan is never acknowledged for is that the 3 clubs that he got promoted playing good football have all managed (so far) to stay in the Premiership.

he also spent alot of money, all 3 times.

No more than any other club has spent to reach the summit of the Premiership or in Man City's case to get out of the second tier and into mid-table safety and European football. Everton have spent a fortune recently, Spurs have too. That's what a manager needs to do to achieve something. People talk as if KK spending money was a bad thing. I'm sure Man City fans didn't mind seeing the likes of Anelka play for them when only a few years before they were in the old 2nd division and who without KK would probably still be in the championship today or just another mackems, up and down.

What Everton fortune? Yakubu apart who has cost more than £8million?

Andy Johnson?

Perhaps. But that was some 3 years ago, they've spent less than any other team in the top half this year than every other team except for Blackburn.

Guest Knightrider

No more than any other club has spent to reach the summit of the Premiership or in Man City's case to get out of the second tier and into mid-table safety and European football. Everton have spent a fortune recently, Spurs have too. That's what a manager needs to do to achieve something. People talk as if KK spending money was a bad thing. I'm sure Man City fans didn't mind seeing the likes of Anelka play for them when only a few years before they were in the old 2nd division and who without KK would probably still be in the championship today or just another mackems, up and down.

Blackburn qualified for Europe for alot less money than what KK managed.

You fail to mention KK nearly getting Man City relegated and being one of the reasons why they where skint by the time he left.

The man has never had prolonged success in his life.

Spent more than we have in the past few years believe it or not, a fortune for them. KK didn't nearly get Man City relegated either, that's hyperbole. They were not skint per se either, they had debts like every club. Anyway he actually left them in very good shape with arguably the finest academy in the country which KK kick-started back when they were in the 1st division.

As for prolonging success, he's achieved far more than Hughes has ever done and if we are getting into that kind of debate I'd like to remind you in today's football it's very rare for anyone to prolong success. Hughes if he joins us, where would the prolonged success be at Blackburn? He'll leave them having achieved less than what Souness achieved for them.

But hey, lets appoint him.

He'd be another appointment that I just couldn't get behind, seen it all before, will end in tears. Give me someone credible or someone I can feel good about Mr Ashley and Mort rather than a flavour of the month manager who does nowt for me.

Guest elbee909

You will remember where you were when you first heard the news for the rest of your life.

http://i10.tinypic.com/73295pe.jpg

Sad, somehow.

First season with Man City he took them up with a record breaking points total and scored 125 (125!) goals in the process. The next season he took them to 9th in the Premiership.

If someone did that now who wasn't Kevin Keegan, the media would be jizzing all over him.

They would indeed. The fact as I can see is that he saved us twice when we were f&&&&d. Why not a third? Its a track record of success with us.  I realize that there were no trophies but 2nd in the PL would be a great place to be right now.

To be honest, I genuinely don't have a clue if Keegan could do it now but I do absolutely hate seeing Newcastle fans slag the man off. Nowt like being grateful is there?

I don't think people are being ungrateful, just putting a touch of reality in the mix with all the romance.

I'd rather remember him for the manager he was for us rather than him come back here and get us around a Uefa up place.

Guest LucaAltieri

If someone had told me 6 months ago (or 1 month ago for that matter) that we'd even be discussing this now I'd have had them locked up. How did we get to this?

Andy Johnson?

Perhaps. But that was some 3 years ago, they've spent less than any other team in the top half this year than every other team except for Blackburn.

It was a season and a half! Same summer we signed Martins. They spent in the summer too. He's doing a fine job though is Moyes.

Any other manager would get no more than a few months before fans turned if there wasn't instant change.

Simple as really.

Are you saying if we aren't in the top 8 within 4 months a manager like Hughes will be under huge pressure?

Nope he'll have until atleast this time next season to prove himself. This season is a write-off. I don't expect much from here till May.

Look at Allardyce. No different to Hughes, if he doesn't do better, people will be on his back too. It's how things work at this club now.

Like I keep saying. Sam's brand of football along with strange tactics was ultimately his downfall not just the results. He also made some very s**** signings, these all attributed to him being hounded.

Have you seen Blackburn? They are not exactly a footballing team. They are more Bolton than Portsmouth or what our fans have quite clearly shown they want - attacking football. Under Hughes it would be much of the same, lots of scrapping and battling with the odd decent performance in terms of football.

No it wouldn't. Blackburn attack weaker sides and actually put them to the sword. Against Bolton and Derby they dominated and were a cut above. Completely different scenario to Sam.

Hughes at Blackburn has had less money than Sam did at Bolton and plays far superior football.

Totally agree.

Anyway...

Mark Hughes = sideways step.

Will need time and lots of money probably even more than the last manager needed.

No logic whatsoever in his appointment other than he's next down the ladder from Redknapp. If we are to appoint such a manager I'd rather we took a risk on KK or Shearer, at least I can feel good about those two and get really behind them. With Hughes I don't think I can stomach another round of defence when you lot get on his back when we fail to land the title in his first game.

I've always rated Hughes as a superior manager to Big Sam. I wanted Hughes before we got Allardyce.

Hughes has been at Blackburn a shorter time than Sam and had achieved arguably better success with far less resources, whilst playing football.

They would indeed. The fact as I can see is that he saved us twice when we were f&&&&d. Why not a third? Its a track record of success with us. I realize that there were no trophies but 2nd in the PL would be a great place to be right now.

I agree. Keegan is a legend in my eyes. I was lucky to meet him at the training ground a few times when I was a kid and he was as genuine as you would imagine.

I'm not entirely sure if he could do it......but I wasnt sure either when he came back the 2nd time. What I do know is that he would inject an enthusiasm into the club, the city and the region that no one else could do. Throw in Shearer as assistant and maybe just maybe we could get our chins off our boots and walk tall again.

I don't think people are being ungrateful, just putting a touch of reality in the mix with all the romance.

I'd rather remember him for the manager he was for us rather than him come back here and get us around a Uefa up place.

No, some people do just slag him off. Not tarring the people who don't want him back all with the same brush by any means.

Guest Knightrider

Another plus where KK is concerned, it would signal heavy funding in the transfer market and if there is one person I'd trust with money, it's KK, furthermore he'd be no Ashley puppet and outside of managing the team, who better to advise the new owner and Chairman where NUFC matters are concerned giving the club they bought and took over is very much KK's club in that it was him he built the fucker, with the helpf of SJH of course and if NE5 is reading, go on then, I'll give you FS too.

Andy Johnson?

It was a season and a half! Same summer we signed Martins. They spent in the summer too. He's doing a fine job though is Moyes.

Aye lol. When you support NUFC things seem to happen so quickly. I don't know why I'm talking about Moyes but he's spent less money this summer than Sve, Curbishley, Spurs, Villa & Liverpool and that was my point really.

If someone had told me 6 months ago (or 1 month ago for that matter) that we'd even be discussing this now I'd have had them locked up. How did we get to this?

Is it really that bad?

I can see where all sides are coming from but I can't help but feel some people like the guy above are going a little OTT about this.

people say he spent money as if it were a bad thing. in fact it is something our prospective manager should have in their locker, the ability to deal with big sums of money. that someone is good wheeling and dealing with lesser budgets is not particularly relevant to the newcastle job, and we've seen what sort of player that kind of manager may be inclined to bring in with allardyce.

keegan spent 60 odd million over 5 years and almost took us to the title. graeme souness spent 50m in 8 months and destroyed a top 5 team. it's not even been 3 years since he was at man city, not like the game has wildly transformed in this time, in fact it looks like keegan has his enthuasiasm back (albeit channeled away from mainstream football. keegan took charge of or signed the likes of distin, james, anelka, swp, dunne, all physical players well acquianted with the modern game, he's no dinosaur.

this is coming from someone who doesn't support bringing keegan back btw, just pointing out that it probably wouldnt be the unmitigated disaster some would make it out to be.

Guest Knightrider

Simple as really.

No it wouldn't. Blackburn attack weaker sides and actually put them to the sword. Against Bolton and Derby they dominated and were a cut above. Completely different scenario to Sam.

Hughes at Blackburn has had less money than Sam did at Bolton and plays far superior football.

Totally agree.

Anyway...

Mark Hughes = sideways step.

Will need time and lots of money probably even more than the last manager needed.

No logic whatsoever in his appointment other than he's next down the ladder from Redknapp. If we are to appoint such a manager I'd rather we took a risk on KK or Shearer, at least I can feel good about those two and get really behind them. With Hughes I don't think I can stomach another round of defence when you lot get on his back when we fail to land the title in his first game.

I've always rated Hughes as a superior manager to Big Sam. I wanted Hughes before we got Allardyce.

Hughes has been at Blackburn a shorter time than Sam and had achieved arguably better success with far less resources, whilst playing football.

Big Sam at Bolton over the past 3 years had a better record than Hughes at Blackburn and spent less money. If you think he's far superior to Allardyce, then Hughes must be the next Wenger or something.

Guest LucaAltieri

Is it really that bad?

I can see where all sides are coming from but I can't help but feel some people like the guy above are going a little OTT about this.

The guy hasn't been anywhere near football for years now. Suddenly he's the favourite to be appointed manager? Sounds like madness to me.