Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

Keegan got us from 20th in the 'Championship' to top of the league, has anyone else ever done that? In Premiership-time football i mean.

:lol:

Are the facts wrong or summat? Genuine question but that's what i thought.

I'm not especially advocating Keegan - though the little voice inside my head would secretly absolutely love it - i was just pointing it out.

Ah the old Porto argument. How many times have we seen it's much easier to win a tournament than a league? Why don't we get that bloke who won the European Championships with Greece?

If Paul Scholes' perfectly legit goal against Porto had counted, they'd have been out.

Not saying Mourinho's not a top class manager or anything, cos he quite clearly is and I'd love him at NUFC, but the way some people go on, you'd think he was untouchable. He's not on Wenger's planet for example, or Fergie's for that matter.

Otto Rehagel? No thanks. Boring boring boring... Greece had a great defence, but they were as entertaining as a usual mackem. :-)

Ah the old Porto argument. How many times have we seen it's much easier to win a tournament than a league? Why don't we get that bloke who won the European Championships with Greece?

If Paul Scholes' perfectly legit goal against Porto had counted, they'd have been out.

Not saying Mourinho's not a top class manager or anything, cos he quite clearly is and I'd love him at NUFC, but the way some people go on, you'd think he was untouchable. He's not on Wenger's planet for example, or Fergie's for that matter.

What more do you want him to do? He's won the UEFA Cup and Champions League with Porto on a limited budget, I don't care if it's easier to win tournaments than leagues, it was a remarkable effort, he then went to Chelsea with a huge amount of money at his disposal of course, he was up against Arsenal and Manchester United who had top sides as it is and won the league twice in consecutive years along with the Carling Cup (Twice) and the F.A Cup. I don't think he could have done any better.

Well Porto also won their league with him too lol. Not sure what else you want him to prove really. He's proven he can win on the biggest stages with small or large budgets. That's why I consider him the best maanager in the world.

The Portuguese League? :lol: Forgive me if I don't sent him a congratulatory telegram.

This is what I don't get. Best manager in the world for winning the Premiership with £300m? Oh yes, and the Champions League against Monaco, clearly better than Wenger. :undecided:

We've gone slightly off on a tangent mind.

Keegan got us from 20th in the 'Championship' to top of the league, has anyone else ever done that? In Premiership-time football i mean.

:lol:

Are the facts wrong or summat? Genuine question but that's what i thought.

I'm not especially advocating Keegan - though the little voice inside my head would secretly absolutely love it - i was just pointing it out.

Considering the Premiership started in 1992 and we've been in it since 1993 then I guess not.

What more do you want him to do? He's won the UEFA Cup and Champions League with Porto on a limited budget, I don't care if it's easier to win tournaments than leagues, it was a remarkable effort, he then went to Chelsea with a huge amount of money at his disposal of course, he was up against Arsenal and Manchester United who had top sides as it is and won the league twice in consecutive years along with the Carling Cup (Twice) and the F.A Cup. I don't think he could have done any better.

To be called the best manager in the world, I think he does have to prove more.

Well Porto also won their league with him too lol. Not sure what else you want him to prove really. He's proven he can win on the biggest stages with small or large budgets. That's why I consider him the best maanager in the world.

The Portuguese League? :lol: Forgive me if I don't sent him a congratulatory telegram.

This is what I don't get. Best manager in the world for winning the Premiership with £300m? Oh yes, and the Champions League against Monaco, clearly better than Wenger. :undecided:

We've gone slightly off on a tangent mind.

Souness couldn't win the Portuguese League :lol:

It's hard to imagine two people less deserving of the opportunity. Keegan walked out on us, and Shearer has kept us dangling on a string for the last few years.

Yes, but you know why Keegan walked out, don't you??

Because he'd blown all the money. The team had already peaked, and there were only limited funds for re-building. He got out at the right time.

Guest Knightrider

Lets be realistic here, an appointment like Hughes will not take us into the top 4 on a consistent basis or lead us to the title, and neither would Kevin Keegan. However KK could get us back into the top 6 because he will have us playing productive football and be able to sign good players, unlike Hughes though, he wouldn't have to win anyone over, he wouldn't need to change the club or change himself to suit either. He's Kevin Keegan, he knows what makes us ticks and we know what makes him tick; he'd fit straight in and would lift the place in presence alone never mind anything he can do out on the pitch. Another plus point, the players would have no choice but to fall in line because if it came to a head between them and KK there would only be one winner.

If you gave Hughes (or any other homegrown manager we've been linked with) say 3 years and 30m to spend each year, I don't think they'd achieve much more and in some cases a lot less than KK would with the same time and budget.

KK with money and what kind of atmosphere he'd create on the stands would lead us back into the top 6 I feel.

Now staying there and pushing on would be another matter....

What's all this talk about people wanting Shearer to start somewhere at a lower league club first?

He'll just end up being another boring uninventive British manager, much like Hughes, Redknapp, Moyes etc.

We also know that the experience of managing teams like Boro, Blackburn etc. will NOT prepare him, or anyone else, for managing us. Like fat Frank said, we're a different kettle of fish. And anyhow, we should be aiming for a manager who's either proven he has the skills, or shows massive potential. The latter of which I think Shearer is.

He has the potential to be amazing here. He's gonna get time, it'll be his first time hence not being afraid to try new things, the board will back him and he'll be here long-term as opposed to Redknapp/Hughes.

With Hughes and Redknapp, I sort of think that we know what we're going to get. The team will battle, try to

play more football and will eventually improve from the position we're in but they're not going to be challenging for a top 4 place. Imo.

With Hughes there's also the issue of him being 'destined' for the Man Utd job so he might be off in a few years, even if we're doing well.

It's a tough choice to make, go for a known quantity, someone who will improve us and have us play better football, or go for a totally unknown character (managerial-wise) who has the potential to be something special, and there's no doubt Shearer's got that with the standing he has in the game and the respect he'll command from the players.

And I hear all this talk about Hughes having played under great managers at Barca and of course Man Utd. But so has Shearer! He's played under SBR, Keegan, Dalglish etc. and all of them were great managers in their own respect as well.

Honestly, it's heart over head, but I'd rather it'd be Shearer over Hughes. In the same vein, I also wouldn't mind a KK/Shearer tag-team over Hughes.

It's hard to imagine two people less deserving of the opportunity. Keegan walked out on us, and Shearer has kept us dangling on a string for the last few years.

Dangling on a string? I don't recall Shearer asking anyone to hold onto anything, never mind a bit of string. If you've been dangling on a string it's because you chose to - don't blame Shearer for that. :)

The new manager needs time.

Shearer/Keegan/both would get time.

Any other manager would get no more than a few months before fans turned if there wasn't instant change.

Simple as really.

Aye i personally don't agree with the whole Shearer starting in the lower leagues theory.

Gary Johnson's got teams promoted like it comes natural to him. Summat-to-Conference, Conference-to-League 2, League 2-to-League 1, League 1 to Championship. And now he's on the bring of promotion to the Premiership. And yet people, me included, would be aghast if we were to bring in someone like Gary Johnson, that'd be madness. And yet in some respects, he's arguably one of the most successful ever managers of the lower tiers.

Shearer needs to start here in the Premiership, or England, or nowhere imo.

Any other manager would get no more than a few months before fans turned if there wasn't instant change.

Simple as really.

I'm not so sure. With KK people would get carried away and expect him to bring back the glory days and if it didn't happen he'd soon be labelled as "past it" and "made a mistake coming back ruining his legacy" and so on.

I read years ago whilst Shearer was still playing that he had been earmarked by the FA as a future England manager.  A lot of respected people who know him, seem to think he has the qualities required.

I think if he proves to be successful, he will be the next England manager.

Lets be realistic here, an appointment like Hughes will not take us into the top 4 on a consistent basis or lead us to the title, and neither would Kevin Keegan. However KK could get us back into the top 6 because he will have us playing productive football and be able to sign good players, unlike Hughes though, he wouldn't have to win anyone over, he wouldn't need to change the club or change himself to suit either. He's Kevin Keegan, he knows what makes us ticks and we know what makes him tick; he'd fit straight in and would lift the place in presence alone never mind anything he can do out on the pitch. Another plus point, the players would have no choice but to fall in line because if it came to a head between them and KK there would only be one winner.

If you gave Hughes (or any other homegrown manager we've been linked with) say 3 years and 30m to spend each year, I don't think they'd achieve much more and in some cases a lot less than KK would with the same time and budget.

KK with money and what kind of atmosphere he'd create on the stands would lead us back into the top 6 I feel.

Keegan is a born & proven managerial loser. We know this, the man will crack when the pressure cooks.

Blackburn finished 6th last season, playing good football and reached the FA Cup semi-final beating some good teams in the process and narrowly getting beaten by a side assembled for atleast 10 times the amount of Blackburns.

Hughes will put us in the top 6 and perhaps even further. Keegan has had his day.

I read years ago whilst Shearer was still playing that he had been earmarked by the FA as a future England manager.  A lot of respected people who know him, seem to think he has the qualities required.

I think if he proves to be successful, he will be the next England manager.

Are these the same people who appointed McClaren though?

Simple as really.

Are you saying if we aren't in the top 8 within 4 months a manager like Hughes will be under huge pressure?

Nope he'll have until atleast this time next season to prove himself. This season is a write-off. I don't expect much from here till May.

Keegan is a born & proven managerial loser. We know this, the man will crack when the pressure cooks.

Blackburn finished 6th last season, playing good football and reached the FA Cup semi-final beating some good teams in the process and narrowly getting beaten by a side assembled for atleast 10 times the amount of Blackburns.

What a load of absolute cobblers.