Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

Re: Why no foreigner?

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:13 PM » Quote Modify Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100% shearer keegan to take charge thats why no foreigner  

Report to moderator    82.25.118.1  

i said so on the 9/1/08  who else could it be.

eh?

Newsflash - football has changed.

The prices have gone up and there's more technology now but football is inherently a simple game is it not? Sam's technology really worked a treat!

Incredibly simple.

Our new manager needs to inspire. You could say the figurehead in this instance, is just as important as any other trait people babble on about on here such as the likes of Mourinho's experience, good as it may be, he is never going to join us and he would not be able to apply his skills well to the job without a massive transfer fund anyway. Football is incredibly simple, a player with such experience as Shearer knows enough about the game to manage a team! Especially alongside someone like Keegan.

Anyway, what excites me is the thought of the first game at St James', if Keegan and Shearer were in the dugout. The atmosphere would be immense, makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck thinking about it.

ok fair point about inspiration - question though:

who else do you think could bring that atmosphere to the ground, if anyone?

The prices have gone up and there's more technology now but football is inherently a simple game is it not? Sam's technology really worked a treat!

Incredibly simple.

Our new manager needs to inspire. You could say the figurehead in this instance, is just as important as any other trait people babble on about on here such as the likes of Mourinho's experience, good as it may be, he is never going to join us and he would not be able to apply his skills well to the job without a massive transfer fund anyway. Football is incredibly simple, a player with such experience as Shearer knows enough about the game to manage a team! Especially alongside someone like Keegan.

Anyway, what excites me is the thought of the first game at St James', if Keegan and Shearer were in the dugout. The atmosphere would be immense, makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck thinking about it.

Anyone who made sensible decisions, bought good players and didn't fuck up constantly - and therefore had us playing well - woudl bring the atmosphere back, no bother.

Incredibly simple.

Nice avatar by the way! The atmosphere would be electric.

Managerial stats

Team                                          From To                                                     Record

G W L     D      Win %

Newcastle United          February 5, 1992 January 8, 1997 251 138 62 51 54.98

Fulham                                 May 7, 1998        May 9, 1999              61 38 11 12 62.29

England                        February 1999 October 7, 2000          18     7       7 4 38.89

Manchester City                           May 24, 2001 March 11, 2005                     176 77 60 39 43.75

I'd also have him as assistant to Shearer - surely between the pair of them they'd be able to motivate our sorry lot.

Never doubted keegan as a motivator, he was class (and played class football) wherever he went. I remember watching Man City when they came up from the Championship, they played great football and finished a record high in points terms if I recall correctly. Same with Fulham too.

The only thing that has bothered me about keegan is he spits his dummy out for want of a better phrase, everwhere he has been. He did it to us, then went to Fulham and did it with them when England came calling, then walked out on England saying he had had enough then did the same at Man City.

In fact I recall reading an article about Richard Dunne who said that towards the back end of his time at Man City, Keegan couldn't be bothered and wasn't taking training seriously and Dunne admitted that a lot of team weren't fit enough. It was even alluded to that was one of the main reasons why Anelka left Man City.

Incredibly simple.

Anyone who made sensible decisions, bought good players and didn't f*** up constantly - and therefore had us playing well - woudl bring the atmosphere back, no bother.

aye but the point he's making is before the ball is kicked style...everyone totally excited like when bobby took over, dancing about and that

to me the only ones would be keegan/shearer and that's just sentimentalism....

i'm in agreement with you mind, a manager who does the things you mention would get support pretty quickly

Managerial stats

Team                                          From To                                                     Record

G W L     D      Win %

Newcastle United          February 5, 1992 January 8, 1997 251 138 62 51 54.98

Fulham                                 May 7, 1998        May 9, 1999              61 38 11 12 62.29

England                        February 1999 October 7, 2000          18     7       7 4 38.89

Manchester City                           May 24, 2001 March 11, 2005                     176 77 60 39 43.75

I'd also have him as assistant to Shearer - surely between the pair of them they'd be able to motivate our sorry lot.

Never doubted keegan as a motivator, he was class (and played class football) wherever he went. I remember watching Man City when they came up from the Championship, they played great football and finished a record high in points terms if I recall correctly. Same with Fulham too.

The only thing that has bothered me about keegan is he spits his dummy out for want of a better phrase, everwhere he has been. He did it to us, then went to Fulham and did it with them when England came calling, then walked out on England saying he had had enough then did the same at Man City.

In fact I recall reading an article about Richard Dunne who said that towards the back end of his time at Man City, Keegan couldn't be bothered and wasn't taking training seriously and Dunne admitted that a lot of team weren't fit enough. It was even alluded to that was one of the main reasons why Anelka left Man City.

Yes, this is a very well known trait of Keegan, but as a director of football or working alongside Shearer as his assistant, he will not be under the massive pressure he was under that comes with the Newcastle or England manager jobs.

I remember the excitement when Gullit took charge. The "We Love Sexy Football" banners, the dreadlocked wigs, the "Clog on the Tyne" puns...then within 90 minutes we were stuffed 4-1.

Relevant?

I was replying to li3nz's point about the feel good factor before kick-off if Shearer & Keegan take over. Will mean very little if on their first game they're gubbed though won't it.

question - would any of the existing squad respect keegan if he was telling them what to do and they didn't agree with it?

to me this is a big factor about our next manager...we need a manager to come in and say run through that wall (not literally but you know?) to a player and for him to set off without hesitation

our squad of players will know keegans basically a failure or won't know who he is....so why the fuck would they do what he says?

Guest getalife

If memory serves, from reading KK's book....

He hadn't been involved in football in any capacity for a lot longer than 3 years when he was approached by Johnny Hall the first time around...

He walked after not geting what he wanted. The board renegged on their promises they made on the day he accepted the post.

Ashley's now in a position of total control where he can say, 'Alright mate, you have complete say on the footballing side of things, no excuses, do or die. As for Shearer, he can only benefit from being a part of it. Behind Jose, I think this is easily the best option.....

I remember the excitement when Gullit took charge. The "We Love Sexy Football" banners, the dreadlocked wigs, the "Clog on the Tyne" puns...then within 90 minutes we were stuffed 4-1.

Relevant?

I was replying to li3nz's point about the feel good factor before kick-off if Shearer & Keegan take over. Will mean very little if on their first game they're gubbed though won't it.

I genuinely believe the atmosphere will be on a level we have never seen before at this ground. I don't think we will "get grubbed" and wouldn't be surprised to see the atmosphere reflected on the players performance... maybe in a typical Keegan'esque "entertainers" wave after wave of attack, but this is dreamland stuff.... my point is the way our supporters used to get behind the team back then really did make a huge difference, as much as it is an overused saying we really were the 12th man and I think it will take a figurehead such as keegan or shearer to bring this back.

Incredibly simple.

Anyone who made sensible decisions, bought good players and didn't f*** up constantly - and therefore had us playing well - woudl bring the atmosphere back, no bother.

aye but the point he's making is before the ball is kicked style...everyone totally excited like when bobby took over, dancing about and that

to me the only ones would be keegan/shearer and that's just sentimentalism....

i'm in agreement with you mind, a manager who does the things you mention would get support pretty quickly

No doubt, that pairing would have peopel all excited and that. But getting a GOOD manager in, who did the right things, would bring more long term benefots, including atmosphere, etc, which would naturally come with being NUFC and playing good football/making good decisions.

I have a feeling that any euphoria about a Shearer/Keegan 'dream ticket' would quickly becoem an Emperors New Clothes situation.

question - would any of the existing squad respect keegan if he was telling them what to do and they didn't agree with it?

to me this is a big factor about our next manager...we need a manager to come in and say run through that wall (not literally but you know?) to a player and for him to set off without hesitation

our squad of players will know keegans basically a failure or won't know who he is....so why the f*** would they do what he says?

If this is the attitude of our players then it's an absolute disgrace. I know most are overpaid brats but they should understand that part and parcel of their employment is to do what the coach says!

Relevant?

I genuinely believe the atmosphere will be on a level we have never seen before at this ground. I don't think we will "get grubbed" and wouldn't be surprised to see the atmosphere reflected on the players performance... maybe in a typical Keegan'esque "entertainers" wave after wave of attack, but this is dreamland stuff.... my point is the way our supporters used to get behind the team back then really did make a huge difference, as much as it is an overused saying we really were the 12th man and I think it will take a figurehead such as keegan or shearer to bring this back.

we'd not lose unless we come up against a profesionall football team who believe in ability and coaching rather than mythical atmosphere's for winning games

Relevant?

I'd rather have a really good manager though. Thats a more sustainable way of getting the atmosphere and the buzz back.

our squad of players will know keegans basically a failure or won't know who he is....so why the f*** would they do what he says?

What a load of crap!

They know damn well who he is, it's all about getting the players to believe in themselves and that is one area Keegan excelled in!

Would love to know who you think would be better than those 2 at this time realistically?

As Shearer has been ear marked for the job anyway!  Why not get them in now?  Otherwise the next manager will have the same problem Big sam had with Shearer lurking in the shadows and seemingly making it an impossible job!

Relevant?

we'd not lose unless we come up against a profesionall football team who believe in ability and coaching rather than mythical atmosphere's for winning games

This is the point though. Fucking David Copperfield could manage us, never mind Mourinho - the way things are he wouldn't be able to get a decent performance out of that lot. We need more than one of these so called tactical genius phenonenon's (by the way, I think this label is as mythical as it gets) they can't do anything with our club, we are in an extremely depressed state.

By the way re: the other point about players reporting to Keegan, discipline etc, if Shearer was ultimately in charge I am in no doubt they would do anthing he said. If he told them to run through the wall they would knock the whole building down doing it.