FFF president 'reassured' Houllier not moving to Tyneside

NSG

Our chances of appointing someone good have dropped significantly, the fact the media claim and Redknapp himself claims he was offered the job means that any other manager looking at the job realizes they're the second choice, do you think someone with Mourinho's caliber would want a job in which:

1.Harry Redknapp rejected

2.He was Ashley's second choice

No, did you not read my post above, "Our chances of appointing someone good have dropped significantly" I never said he wouldn't accept, put yourself in Jose Mourinho's shoes, you're one of, if not the best manager in the world, you could goto Newcastle, a mid-table team who have just tried to appoint Harry Redknapp, they view you as their back-up choice. You could go to Newcastle or wait for a job with one of the biggest clubs in the world, what would you do if you were Jose Mourinho? It certainly wouldn't be the first option.

The thing is, the media claims could well be bullshit. And I might be wrong but where has Redknapp been quoted as saying he was offered it? I know he said he wouldnt take over, but that could be like the media all speculating Shearer is gonna take over at Man Utd, and Al comes out and says "sorry, great job, but I'm happy living in Newcastle and working with BBC" even though he hasnt actually been offered it.

He has "They can think what they want, i was offered the job"

Part of me is worried about this 'order of preference' if they put Redknapp first, but would anyone honestly give a s*** if we ended up with someone as good as Mourinho? I wouldn't. :lol:

A little birdy told me that the only reason Redknapp was approached first is due to the fact he has a clause in his contract which allows him to discuss terms with a club without having to get permission from Pompy. It was made clear to him he was one of a number of candidates but when he turned around and told Mort he wanted to commute too and from the south daily he was told in no uncertain terms to f*** off.

This sounds more realistic than any of the tripe being touted in the media.

That's why I thought. It has just been heard 'through the grapevine' at St. James' by someone who works there but it does seem to make more sense than what's coming out in the rags

The same person also said that it's water tight compared to what it was like under Shepherd and everyone seems to have a different opinion about who is coming in.

Im not sure that Mourihno had to hand in a CV!! Surely not, if Hiddink turned down the England job on the basis that they wanted to interview, i cant imagine Mourhin being too chuffed at having his CV scrutinized along with Mike Baldwin. That is a ridiculous statement.

Does anyone else think that Mourihno has a clasue saying he cant manage antoher top 4 club this season. Surely Chelsea couldnt insert a clause basically banning him from a league for an entire year, thats effectively what that clasue would do.

Guest elbee909

Im not sure that Mourihno had to hand in a CV!! Surely not, if Hiddink turned down the England job on the basis that they wanted to interview, i cant imagine Mourhin being too chuffed at having his CV scrutinized along with Mike Baldwin. That is a ridiculous statement.

Does anyone else think that Mourihno has a clasue saying he cant manage antoher top 4 club this season. Surely Chelsea couldnt insert a clause basically banning him from a league for an entire year, thats effectively what that clasue would do.

If Mourinho were to default on it he'd have to pay back a certain amount of money to Chelsea, most likely.  Then it's up to Newcastle to negotiate this on behalf of Mourinho, which we did in the case of Joey Barton, of course.

even if he did, and Ashley couldn't negotiate with Chelsea, we could work round it.

Just let him turn up to training, invite him to sit in the stands at games etc without actually officially appointing him.  He did something similar when he was banned at Chelsea.  The whole link-up thing with a coach in the dugout.

Any manager out there who is supremely confident in there ability and has a proven track record is mad for not taking the nufc job. Its basically a legend in the making, Keegan is adored here for being aloser...

another option :

"Croatia, particularly this September, will be exhausted after Euro 2008 and may well be learning the ways of a new coach. By then, the highly regarded Slaven Bilic may have resigned to take up a Premier League post."

Better than many choices imo.  Possibly inferrior to jose and hiddinck though.

another option :

"Croatia, particularly this September, will be exhausted after Euro 2008 and may well be learning the ways of a new coach. By then, the highly regarded Slaven Bilic may have resigned to take up a Premier League post."

Better than many choices imo.  Possibly inferrior to jose and hiddinck though.

Get him in... Young and very hungry.

Urgh. Houllier.

The main reason people weren't happy with Sam Allardyce was the style of football he played.

Houllier is another defence minded man, who got sacked by Liverpool for being boring.

He also made some rather average signings.

He also turned a pretty average Liverpool side into trophy winners again - 4 in one season i believe. He took Lyon to the French Championship and the latter stages of the Champions League, and was the man almost solely responsible for the development of the French football academy that led to France winning the World Cup and European Championships.

That'll do for me

Urgh. Houllier.

The main reason people weren't happy with Sam Allardyce was the style of football he played.

Houllier is another defence minded man, who got sacked by Liverpool for being boring.

He also made some rather average signings.

No, people weren't happy because the style of football was sh*t, AND the results were rubbish.

Plus, he knows Owen better than most so might be able to get the best out of him.

He's got a very good pedigree, don't get me wrong, but what happened to Ashleys "I want attacking football".

He's not going to get it from Gerard Houllier.

I would be nonplussed about the appointment to be honest. Don't care if we do, don't care if we do.

Probably as good a manger we can hope to get to Newcastle to be honest.

Wonder how long he'd last though. Six months? A year?

ONut I know you like your French Football.  How defensive a team was Houlliers Lyon side?

French football in general is pretty scrappy. He got the best out of Cris, the clown who made Ameobi look like Eto'o when he was at Bayer Leverkusen, so that gives me hope for Cacapa (who was his captain) & Rozehnal. There wasn't anything spectacular about it but he was by no means "negative".