The Magedia Thread - Sunderland suck trollolololol

Rocker

I know it's the Daily Star, but that's the best appraisal of Hughton that I've read.

The word that Hughton himself uses a lot is 'focus', and that's been the key to his success. It seems to me that all successful managers create some kind of shield around their team, which protects them from the pressure, both positive and negative, that comes from the fans and the media. The players go out on the pitch relaxed and concentrating on the job in hand, not worried or over-excited. Different managers do it in different ways, but the end result is the same ie the team goes out focused on the manager's plan and not on all the other voices.

Despite getting promoted with six games to go, we have not been playing the best football. For the most part, we have been grinding out results with a tactical plan that has made best use of the players available. It's been said that we've had the advantage of a Premiership standard squad but I don't think that's true. There's been a serious lack of pace and mobility in the side, but we've managed to get over that.

I really mean this as praise for Hughton, because the sign of a good manager is over-achieving on limited resources. I've been a doubter in the past, but I'm intrigued now to see what the bloke can do with a bit of money to spend on the players that he feels the team needs to improve. The January window only gave him limited scope, so he's not really had the chance to do that yet.

Used to read the Guardian a long time ago, but like someone above said it's all ideological nonsense with articles always backed up by "anonymous" sources so that the lefty journo's can get away with any unsubstantiated shi**!

Read Times now and seems to be quite balanced, also has Cualkin who is great :)

i see, so they cant slag us off but its ok if they lick our arses.

did you see many of the posts in here last season (last few seasons actuaslly) about the lack of noise. that piece is as much a work of fiction as the ones you deride so much.

A fair description is "licking our arses" ? ? ?

You get your jollies by tugging your forelock and grovelling "Another kick sir ? I'm not worthy" ?

Hardly the first time you can't see the wood for the forest, madras.

You were one of those most desperate to call media abuse "tongue in cheek" weren't you ?

So no surprise you have your view, now is it ?

i said one article was a back handed compliment, as did some others, how good of you to turn it into my world view, thanks for that.

i'll tell you how i get my jollies....by reading each article and then making my mind up rather than looking for anti-nufcisms. there have been particularly gushing articles about the club this season,mainly the fans, some slagging the club off, mainly for off the field stuff, and mainly nuetral on the pitch, ie we've been winning but not playing well till recently........it's not too far off a mirror of this board except some have the opinion that the press shouldn't be critical, only the fans should be. don't be too worried about the stereotyping as they are difficuilt to avoid, we stereotype mackems.  scouers and mancs are, with us the most stereotyped because we are the most visible due to our numbers. ask other fans about us and they'll say about the off the field mess (largely true) and the fans, the spiteful ones will say about expectations and thinking we deserve success (much like we in our spiteful  moments say man utd fans are all from the south etc.

for those comparing footy journalism, widen your view, fans of most clubs are saying it and it has spread beyond the world of fotball. the press in general is travelling backwards at a rate of knots i've never seen before (and personally i think the inetrnet , for good and bad is the reason).

edit.....lets have a closer look at that article that you wish more articles were like.......

fill their ground and make a noise........well we get big crowds but make a noise ? when we score perhaps and many have had a go at the lack of atmosphere over the last feew years.

attractive passing game.......well in our last half dozen home games maybe but till then it wasn't what many would call an attractive passing game.

and even he says we bring colour by open civil war, 20 man brawls etc.

Can i just say, if we're depending on a few core players like Harper, Nolan and Carroll then we're f**ked.

That article isn't informative in the least. Actually, i might doing it a disservice, he's writing for the broader public not diehard Newcastle fans who know the realities.

Can i just say, if we're depending on a few core players like Harper, Nolan and Carroll then we're f**ked.

That article isn't informative in the least. Actually, i might doing it a disservice, he's writing for the broader public not diehard Newcastle fans who know the realities.

Not going to go into the merits or not of the players you mention - I don't see them as often as you lot do - but surely, for any team which is newly promoted, you have to do precisely that - pick a core group of players, and rely on them.

The alternative is assembling an entirely new nucleus to your squad, which is just infeasbile - both in terms of the time you have got to do it (especially with a World Cup in the summer distracting the usual business of football transfers) but also in terms of how much it would cost (unless you're Man City).

Surely the clever thing to do is pick one or two areas where you can improve, at a decent price, and do that?

No point throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Not going to go into the merits or not of the players you mention - I don't see them as often as you lot do - but surely, for any team which is newly promoted, you have to do precisely that - pick a core group of players, and rely on them.

The alternative is assembling an entirely new nucleus to your squad, which is just infeasbile - both in terms of the time you have got to do it (especially with a World Cup in the summer distracting the usual business of football transfers) but also in terms of how much it would cost (unless you're Man City).

Surely the clever thing to do is pick one or two areas where you can improve, at a decent price, and do that?

our core should be the defence rather than the spine of the team. theres been massive questions over the central midfield all season at this level.

I understand your point however, Harper might be ok but Nolan doesn't do nearly enough often enough at the level he's playing at now and Carroll isn't of a calibre (yet) that we can rely on to score against Prem defences. If the jorno had said, Jonas, Barton, Enrique, and Collocini (question marks over how he'll adapt) then i could have understood his point. The 4 i've mentioned actually have the ability to play at a decent level in the Prem, 2 out of 3 he picked don't.

I understand your point however, Harper might be ok but Nolan doesn't do nearly enough often enough at the level he's playing at now and Carroll isn't of a calibre (yet) that we can rely on to score against Prem defences. If the jorno had said, Jonas, Barton, Enrique, and Collocini (question marks over how he'll adapt) then i could have understood his point. The 4 i've mentioned actually have the ability to play at a decent level in the Prem, 2 out of 3 he picked don't.

In fairness, the article was about Hughton and what he's contributed, not about the overall quality of the players.

Most of the articles we see are either patronising (isn't it great to see all the wonderful, jolly Geordies back in the Premiership) or hostile (all those mindless Geordies with their ridiculously high expectations of their club) It's good to read something that's sensible and (I think) sincere.

Guest Phil K

did you see many of the posts in here last season (last few seasons actuaslly) about the lack of noise. that piece is as much a work of fiction as the ones you deride so much.

You get your jollies by tugging your forelock and grovelling "Another kick sir ? I'm not worthy" ?

You were one of those most desperate to call media abuse "tongue in cheek" weren't you ?

i said one article was a back handed compliment, as did some others, how good of you to turn it into my world view, thanks for that.

i'll tell you how i get my jollies....by reading each article and then making my mind up rather than looking for anti-nufcisms. there have been particularly gushing articles about the club this season,mainly the fans, some slagging the club off, mainly for off the field stuff, and mainly nuetral on the pitch, ie we've been winning but not playing well till recently........it's not too far off a mirror of this board except some have the opinion that the press shouldn't be critical, only the fans should be. don't be too worried about the stereotyping as they are difficuilt to avoid, we stereotype mackems.  scouers and mancs are, with us the most stereotyped because we are the most visible due to our numbers. ask other fans about us and they'll say about the off the field mess (largely true) and the fans, the spiteful ones will say about expectations and thinking we deserve success (much like we in our spiteful  moments say man utd fans are all from the south etc.

for those comparing footy journalism, widen your view, fans of most clubs are saying it and it has spread beyond the world of fotball. the press in general is travelling backwards at a rate of knots i've never seen before (and personally i think the inetrnet , for good and bad is the reason).

edit.....lets have a closer look at that article that you wish more articles were like.......

fill their ground and make a noise........well we get big crowds but make a noise ? when we score perhaps and many have had a go at the lack of atmosphere over the last feew years.

attractive passing game.......well in our last half dozen home games maybe but till then it wasn't what many would call an attractive passing game.

Deary me. Touch a nerve by any chance ?

A bit rich you lecture me, and then talk about your own view being respected.

By all means have your own opinion of what is - according to your own view.

Its not necessarily the correct one. Nor is it any different for me.

Thats the strange thing about opinions - you see the same thing and end up with opposing views.

Its why religion is so loathsome.

You will see negatives and try to tell yourself (successfully, obviously) to look between the lines for reasons that simply aren't there.

I see negatives for what they are. I see positives for what they are - in black and white, so to speak. No grey areas sometimes, maybe. That would be a fair criticism.

We are our own worst enemies. Of course we bloody are. Thats a given, for Chrissakes.

Then, who isn't ? When things are going wrong, the complaints start at every club. We are no different and no worse.

Only difference being, the press (or at least a significant number) glorified in our demise, and before a ball was kicked this season, the mockery, and schadenfreude (if ever a word was created for just this situation....delightened this reporter used it) against the club, but most paticularly the fans was appalling, and unforgivable. Because you chose to ignore it isn't a bad thing at all. Sensible in some ways. But I won't. And would like to know why the rags do what they do. I find it really baffling.

By all means tell yourself it ain't so Joe !

Sadly it is so - and you won't need to wait too long for the next example, either. ;)

Guest Phil K

The Daily Star used to be the communist paper for England. That's why. ;)

I think you're getting mixed up with the Daily Mirror.

The Daily Star only started in the 70s.

The Morning Star was the communist paper you might be getting mixed up with too-think thats still going.

It is - http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php

I used to buy that.

Deary me. Touch a nerve by any chance ?

A bit rich you lecture me, and then talk about your own view being respected.

By all means have your own opinion of what is - according to your own view.

Its not necessarily the correct one. Nor is it any different for me.

Thats the strange thing about opinions - you see the same thing and end up with opposing views.

Its why religion is so loathsome.

You will see negatives and try to tell yourself (successfully, obviously) to look between the lines for reasons that simply aren't there.

I see negatives for what they are. I see positives for what they are - in black and white, so to speak. No grey areas sometimes, maybe. That would be a fair criticism.

We are our own worst enemies. Of course we bloody are. Thats a given, for Chrissakes.

Then, who isn't ? When things are going wrong, the complaints start at every club. We are no different and no worse.

Only difference being, the press (or at least a significant number) glorified in our demise, and before a ball was kicked this season, the mockery, and schadenfreude (if ever a word was created for just this situation....delightened this reporter used it) against the club, but most paticularly the fans was appalling, and unforgivable. Because you chose to ignore it isn't a bad thing at all. Sensible in some ways. But I won't. And would like to know why the rags do what they do. I find it really baffling.

By all means tell yourself it ain't so Joe !

Sadly it is so - and you won't need to wait too long for the next example, either. ;)

where do i say about my view being respected...first off based on my posts you reckon you "have me pegged" or words to that effect, then you ascribe a world view based on my thoughts on one article, then you make up what i say.

look phil you think we are a special case to the media and they single us out for special hate treatment because of who we are, i think it would happen (and did happen to leeds) to any high profile club that drops like we have. it doesn't help that the piece you post as a good peice was as bad as the others but on the arselicking side.

brummie had his say, i wonder what the other non-nufc'ers on here think ?

oh by the way phil , did you slag off the coverage during keegans firsts first stint as manager ?

No it didn't.

Yeah, that's been established.

Just ignore mandiarse, mate. Almost everyone else does.

I'm sure we're all very grateful for your witty and constructive posts.

Guest firetotheworks

No it didn't.

Yeah, that's been established.

Just ignore mandiarse, mate. Almost everyone else does.

I'm sure we're all very grateful for your witty and constructive posts.

Do you miss NE5 btw?  :lol: Serious question.

Wife beater Rob Shepherd:

TIME TO GET OUT OF TOON

Hughton should quit before he is stabbed in the back

CHRIS HUGHTON has done a fantastic job taking Newcastle up at the first time of asking.

Now he should do himself a big favour and get out of Toon with his head held high before he gets stabbed in the back.

That way Hughton will give himself a future living as a proven boss at a decent level.

Not end up being sacked in humiliation after five games at the start of next term.

If success in management is based on being a good coach and man, Newcastle should not be paying Hughton a big bonus now that they are back in the top flight but also a proper contract. Yet they have not and will not.

Let us put it this way - being back in the Premier League is worth a minimum extra £30million a year for the club but Hughton will be lucky to see much of it.

And from what I gather Hughton's job is up for grabs, no doubt on four times the wages.

If owner Mike Ashley succeeds in selling the club this summer then new owners will want a bigger name than Hughton.

If Ashley fails to convince buyers Newcastle is a good investment to take off his hands at £100m then he is as likely to do the same in the belief he can up the ante.

OK, Hughton may need help on charisma but he has done a job this season that even Toon hero Alan Shearer would never have come close to achieving.

Yet there will now be a campaign to install a name of Shearer's status or a foreign guru.

Well the Geordies do like to clutch failure out of the jaws of success.

There is talk in the north east that Hughton is now surplus to requirements because he can't control four so-called senior players

Yet if Hughton has managed to keep the egos of such overpaid, overrated "stars" in line, then he must know what he is doing.

And if Hughton, brought up in London's tough East End, wants to flex credible muscles, he may remind certain people he came from a mixed race background during the 1960s and 70s when that was not easy.

Yet he ended up playing in the same Spurs team as Glenn Hoddle and Ossie Ardiles as well as playing for the Republic of Ireland.

Chrissy Hughton has rubbed shoulders with far bigger men than, for instance, Joey Barton.

So he should be embraced by the club's current or next owners. But he won't be.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/779128/CHRIS-HUGHTON-has-done-a-fantastic-job-taking-Newcastle-up-at-the-first-time-of-asking.html

Read about the wifer beater @

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/jan/09/pressandpublishing.dailyexpress