Deschamps jumps from 80/1 to favourite with bookmakers

Guest hindu times
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

from what i remember about monaco in the champion's league and a quick check at bbc match reports, they had at least one big strong striker in morientes (or prso or adebayor) holding it up or knocking it down, guily cutting inside/having a free role, rothen standing still launching long-balls or crosses into the box, a bunch of average defensive midfielders like ex-west ham edouard cisse (deschamps is the original water-carrier after all) and two small, fast attacking full-backs in ibarra and evra who were probably the best players in the team along with guily. never saw juve under him.

any players at the club that would fit into this style of play? well we don't really have the strikers to fit that style of play, but ameobi looks like adebayor from afar, and erm, smith is quite strong. as for wingers, duff or n'zogbia might do a passable guily attempt, while milner is just as slow and immobile as rothen but not got the same range of passing. no-mark defensive midfielders? we're well stocked in that capacity. butt, geremi, faye, smith (cough) rozehnal could all play there. the full-backs are what i most remember from the team, evra fast as fuck and ibarra incredibly tricky & skilful. beye is fast enough to play as an attacking wing-back but, as a natural centre-half, i don't think he is good enough with his final ball. enrique might be in trouble as he doesn't exactly play like either of those, being big, strong and slow.

Got to the final didn't they?

so what about deschamps?

speaks english? played for chelsea, juventus and valencia, so might speak french, english, italian, spanish...

only monaco (CL final?) and juventus (serie B) as a manager  :undecided: left juventus as they coun't agree on transfers apparentely...

hmm not too convinced i have to say. and where does that leave shearer?

Fuck Shearer. Why are people obsessed with getting him in?

:lol:

Agree tbh.

from what i remember about monaco in the champion's league and a quick check at bbc match reports, they had at least one big strong striker in morientes (or prso or adebayor) holding it up or knocking it down, guily cutting inside/having a free role, rothen standing still launching long-balls or crosses into the box, a bunch of average defensive midfielders like ex-west ham edouard cisse (deschamps is the original water-carrier after all) and two small, fast attacking full-backs in ibarra and evra who were probably the best players in the team along with guily. never saw juve under him.

any players at the club that would fit into this style of play? well we don't really have the strikers to fit that style of play, but ameobi looks like adebayor from afar, and erm, smith is quite strong. as for wingers, duff or n'zogbia might do a passable guily attempt, while milner is just as slow and immobile as rothen but not got the same range of passing. no-mark defensive midfielders? we're well stocked in that capacity. butt, geremi, faye, smith (cough) rozehnal could all play there. the full-backs are what i most remember from the team, evra fast as f*** and ibarra incredibly tricky & skilful. beye is fast enough to play as an attacking wing-back but, as a natural centre-half, i don't think he is good enough with his final ball. enrique might be in trouble as he doesn't exactly play like either of those, being big, strong and slow.

Did Deschamps sign all of those players in his first season, or were they already there and he simply came up with a system that fitted all of those players?

Deschamps is crazy ambitious. I wouldn't be surprised if he was really impressive in his interview with Mort.

His biggest issue at his previous clubs was control over signing players, which is why he wanted to get a premier league job, as he felt that the premier league clubs gave their managers the most control.

At Monaco they let Morientes, Giuly and Evra leave after that succesful campaign. At Juventus they tried to force Tiago and some other player on him, who he didn't want.

I don't see how anyone could object to an appointment like this, really. All for it.

but I don't see much difference between him and Shearer.

Apart from he has managed two teams compared to Shearers none, one of which got to the European Cup Final oh and the fact he has won the World cup and European championships as a player, two champions league medals, 3 French titles, three Serie A titles and an FA cup winners medal! ;D

Not sure what he won as a player is supposed to count for as a manager.

So if Deschamps had played for a third division side and won nothing, he would be as appealing at this point???

Sometimes a manager's playing career doesn't mean he will make it but if your telling me it doesn't matter in taking a decision about who to go for, particularly based against someone with no experience or little experience either then I disagree.

Bobby Moncur on SSN talking about Houllier and Deschamps "No Newcastle fans would be excited by these two"

I would.

Unfortunately, Moncur's viewpoint often reflects reality within the terraces.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Don't fancy this appointment at all

I think the fact that someone has lumped on him means he is on the shortlist and has been contacted, nothing else.

For me it is still:

Houllier/Shearer

Hughes

I don't see how anyone could object to an appointment like this, really. All for it.

Tbf, he's only had one real job. The other one was a mickey mouse one in which anyone could have succeeded (bringing Juve back up). It's an ambitious move and has come out of nowhere but I don't see much difference between him and Shearer. He'll know more about football in general because of his international and club experience but Shearer will get more time from our fans. I wonder why they've gone for him and not Shearer ???

Really??  They started on minus 10 points wasn't it?  Plus I'm sure quite a few of there best players left as well, yet they still finished top.

Don't fancy this appointment at all

I think the fact that someone has lumped on him means he is on the shortlist and has been contacted, nothing else.

For me it is still:

Houllier/Shearer

Hughes

Houllier has distanced himself and wouldn't work in tandem with another man after the Roy Evans debacle.

I will put a bullet in the head of Sparky Hughes he gets too close to SJP.

Article:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/20080115_183458Dev.html

Anyone want to translate?

rough translation from my firefox add-on:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lequipe.fr%2FFootball%2F20080115_183458Dev.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

According to information from France Football, relayed Tuesday on its website, "Didier Deschamps is expected in the hours to come to England (or elsewhere) to discuss with leaders Newcastle to finalize any agreement." Le nouveau président du club, Mike Ashley, et le chairman Chris Mort se tiennent prêts à le rencontrer, 72 heures après la déroute à Manchester (0-6). The new club president, Mike Ashley, and the chairman Chris Mort stands ready to meet him, 72 hours after the rout in Manchester (0-6).

so what about deschamps?

speaks english? played for chelsea, juventus and valencia, so might speak french, english, italian, spanish...

only monaco (CL final?) and juventus (serie B) as a manager  :undecided: left juventus as they coun't agree on transfers apparentely...

hmm not too convinced i have to say. and where does that leave shearer?/b]

f*** Shearer. Why are people obsessed with getting him in?

I agree. The rest of the Premier League are just laughing at our fans demanding Shearer. They can't wait to see him fail. We might as well put Barton, Lee, Beardsley or Ferdinand in for the job if we are going to consider Shearer. Bobby Moncur should know better as well!

Who would you prefer? Houllier or Deschamps? Pretty close for me, I'd even say Deschamps could be good with things still to prove and a increased will to impress.

Would take either of these ahead of Hughes/Redknapp/Keegan/Shearer

Tbf, he's only had one real job. The other one was a mickey mouse one in which anyone could have succeeded (bringing Juve back up). It's an ambitious move and has come out of nowhere but I don't see much difference between him and Shearer. He'll know more about football in general because of his international and club experience but Shearer will get more time from our fans. I wonder why they've gone for him and not Shearer ???

Really??  They started on minus 10 points wasn't it?  Plus I'm sure quite a few of there best players left as well, yet they still finished top.

Minus 15, I thought

EDIT - Was 9

Who would you prefer? Houllier or Deschamps? Pretty close for me, I'd even say Deschamps could be good with things still to prove and a increased will to impress.

Would take either of these ahead of Hughes/Redknapp/Keegan/Shearer

Houllier in a heartbeat.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Problem is he can walk away too easily, and still get a good job in Italy or France, therefore his incentives are not that great.

I am prbably being sceptical because i do not know that much about him