Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Guest firetotheworks

One thing I'll always be with HTT on is Keegan, like. No post is too long for that man.

Cronky, I dunno what your deal is like. I don't doubt the legitimacy of your opinion but a lot of it either makes no sense or is based on stuff that you seem to have just flat out made up.

KK money orientated? He looked after himself career wise of course, who wouldn't, but he was no mercenary. When he first joined us as a player he turned down several more lucrative offers from elsewhere. Part of his contract was that he would get a percentage of any increase in gate revenue as a result of his signing. He said he was so embarrassed at how much extra that made him over others he told the club to keep it, to reinvest in the schoolboy side of the club as it were back then. There was no academy.

When he returned as manager the club couldn't afford Terry Mac's wages so KK paid his wages and he didn't even ask the club for it back. He also bought all the youngsters some new boots and kit. He was a millionaire when he joined us and he used a good chunk of his wealth to help the club.

He offered SJH every single penny he had invested into NUFC back to him if we went down, with KK in effect taking control of the club as owner.

If he was such a mercenary, or rather money orientated he would have seen out that multi million pound 3.5 year contract under Ashley, especially given his own business was failing. A business btw that KK invested minimally in and even though it was losing money, KK was still and still is a wealthy man. The man was a great footballer and a very good businessman too.

Yes he had his faults but everything KK did was for the good of the club, his team, the players and fans. His first threat of quitting was because he was promised funds and when they weren't forthcoming he called their bluff and won. That act helped save this club and showed SJH et al that second best wasn't acceptable. KK demanded more and if they couldn't work to his ways, he wasn't going to hang around and waste people's time.

That's why he quit England. Why kid people, keep getting paid etc. for being unable to do a good enough job?

When he quit for real first time around as manager, he didn't feel he could manage the club in the way he wanted to and believed should be ran. He couldn't asnwer to suits telling him what to do etc. so he resigned. But in reality he left because he was spent, emotionally and mentally. He had literally dragged this club into the 21st century off his own enthusiasm, esteem and motivation. It took its toll.

Second time around he revealed Ashley and co as the evil overlords that they are. Had he Hungarians taking their money and basically being their patsy he would have been just as bad, but KK is an honourable man, a decent man, cut from the same cloth as Sir Bobby and for that we should all be grateful. KK is the most genuine, honest and most passionate man in football, or rather was. Basically the antithesis of modern football.

If more were like him, the game would be something special and something worthy of our adulation, money, time, emotion, loyalty and passion. As things stand it is worthy of nothing but contempt. It's a corrupt, money mad, egotistical sport full of mercenaries.

Everything KK isn't.

Carver once slagged Ashley and co, but the minute he is offered some coin he bends over to be screwed, same with Beardsley. Men like KK and Sheerer true NUFC legends, know better.

This makes me want to stand in front of my pc and applaud HTT.

If you read Keegan's autobiography he's the first to admit that he always ensured he was well rewarded for his talent, including his stint as an NUFC player when he astutely negotiated a share of the improved gate receipts.  Not sure what difference that makes, footballers weren't raking it then like they are now either.

He's the best thing to ever happen to this club and it's wildly inaccurate to say he was wrong to leave on either occasion or that he did so without good reasons.  It's funny how his biggest detracters are always the ones that appear so butt-hurt over those departures, you'd think they'd have been glad to see the back of him.

Guest John Carvery

Dissing KK is the only real crime of blasphemy on the planet and there's a few in this thread I'd happily see hanged.

Why not burn us alive instead.

Dissing KK is the only real crime of blasphemy on the planet and there's a few in this thread I'd happily see hanged.

The Tyne bridge is an appropriate ready made hanging location - along side Pardew for his derby record.

One of his lesser known, yet biggest, achievements was to make Michael Owen enthusiastic about something for once in his miserable little life.

"Kevin sat next to me and said, 'You've played for some big clubs like Liverpool and Real Madrid and have experienced what the atmosphere can be like there - but believe me, you haven't seen half of what this place can be like yet.'

"Kevin convinced me that there are exciting times ahead for Newcastle. I definitely want to be part of it. You tell me a striker who wouldn't want to play in a team with Kevin Keegan as manager.

"Managers can have different philosophies. For instance, Sam Allardyce might prefer to concentrate on his back four, keep a clean sheet and nick a 1-0 result. Kevin Keegan will also want to keep a clean sheet but he will want to put on an entertaining performance and score plenty of goals - and that means everything to me.

"He definitely believes in playing more football, with plenty of passing and movement. I will settle for that.

"You could sense there was a change of mood around the club. There was an even bigger buzz in training on Friday morning. The session was no different to normal but you could sense there was an extra spring in everyone's step.

"Then I got home and watched Kevin's press conference. It was fantastic to see him at work. The whole room was spellbound. You could feel the enthusiasm.

"Anyone who is not uplifted by his arrival must have something seriously wrong with them - the fans and players are certain to respond.

“It was the most enjoyable time of my career there.

“Everybody loved playing for him.

“I had often read what people said about him and wondered how you could enjoy the game or gain confidence so much from a manager.

“Yet it was true. It was an absolute privilege to play under him.

“I enjoyed my football then more than at any other point for Newcastle.

“We picked up some great results and he changed the system.

“He played myself, Viduka and Obafemi Martins as a three-pronged attack with me as a deep-lying forward.

Owen had never played in a deeper role before in his career, but admits he a change was as a good as rest.

He added: “It was an eye-opener for me as I changed my role.

“However, it did not take away my goals or enjoyment or anything else.

“I had been a striker all my life. Yet there was a real good feeling about that new role.

“Unfortunately, it all ended too prematurely and we could not continue what we had built up.”

Looking back, Owen said: “It is always sad when a manager leaves.

“Even when I haven’t got on with certain managers in my career, I still feel a sense of sadness when somebody leaves.

“It is not a nice thing. You are talking about livelihoods and people putting in a lot of time and effort – and dedication of their life in a certain role.

“I have always been upset when managers go.

“However, Kevin is a different kettle of fish.

“Everybody bought into what he was doing and the whole sense of feeling and exciting around him was fantastic.

“Every day in training was good fun. You would do your work but with a smile.

“It is amazing how much better you play when you are enjoying what you are doing. He created that.

“So it was even more of a sad day when he decided to leave.”

We replaced him of course with arguably our best place ever, and it was very easy, within a few weeks, to say who's Keegan? 

What does this mean? :lol: You on about when we replaced him with Dalglish who led us to 2nd place with Keegan's squad before being given a chance to fuck it up?

We replaced him of course with arguably our best place ever, and it was very easy, within a few weeks, to say who's Keegan? 

What does this mean? :lol: You on about when we replaced him with Dalglish who led us to 2nd place with Keegan's squad before being given a chance to fuck it up?

is dom77 not a scouser talking about replacing him as a player with funnily enough Daglish?

Guest John Carvery

The King

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/15/586bad6da07b6aee87638df3d6dbc340.jpg

Looks like the king left his shoes at the bowling alley

"It is very special to win a derby match, even though we did not play well. We started well and got an early goal. We also got the penalty at a psychologically good time and we won the game.

"We played 50-60% compared with what we could do. Our passing was not as good as it could have been, but the attitude and endeavour was spot on. And the atmosphere was magnificent. I think we got an atmosphere like that because the supporters are happy with what we have done in the last few games rather than our performance on the day.

"I don't care what anybody says, you can go around the world twice if you like and you would not get an atmosphere like that anywhere else. During the game Terry McDermott turned to me and said it was just like the old days. He's probably right, it used to be like that every week as the fans came into the ground motivated and happy because of what they had seen last time.

"The players here have not seen the atmosphere like that because of the season we have had. I told them they are the best in the world and you can earn an atmosphere like that every week if you keep these results coming. In the last five minutes or so I was just soaking that atmosphere up.

"I read somewhere that he (Ashley) could have bought Leeds or Newcastle, so I just said to him, 'Aren't you lucky you bought Newcastle?'

"No disrespect to Leeds, but you just can't buy that. He has, but you can't normally buy an atmosphere like that in a stadium.

"You have never heard anything like that at the end. I don't care how many times you come to the stadium, when it goes like that and you hear them singing, it's absolutely the only place in the world to be, as far as I am concerned.

"I have played at Liverpool and I have played in derbies, I have played in the Maracana, I have played in the Nep Stadium, Liverpool, Boca Juniors but this is the best place in the world when you are winning.

"I've told the players it used to be like that before kick-off. It's a tough place if you are not going well, but hey, they are the rules of the game."

is dom77 not a scouser talking about replacing him as a player with funnily enough Daglish?

Aha, I see. :thup:

mind its confusing- I think he calls Daglish a place? :lol:

I can't blame anyone for having their own opinion on something, however how anyone can't see Keegan is one of the most important/influential people in our recent history doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. Not once, not twice but 3 times he came in our hour of need and all three times he delivered. One of my all time heroes and with good measure.

Guest Bert Shaft

I prefer to laugh at your mackem tendencies.

What does this mean? :lol: You on about when we replaced him with Dalglish who led us to 2nd place with Keegan's squad before being given a chance to f*** it up?

mind its confusing- I think he calls Daglish a place? :lol:

Sorry, it wouldn't let me edit, yes as a player.

No offence meant in what I said, just the way I see Keegan, and that was before he ever went to NUFC at all.    I've not read anything here that would change that.

LFC had the first option of re-signing him after Hamburg, they didn't take up the option and I've never felt we missed out at all.