Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Can’t be many blokes who are pretty revered at every club they were associated with.

Just looking at his record at City, they scored 108 goals getting promoted with KK at the helm. Ridiculous stuff.

Owen Peterson’s Facebook - brilliant!

Seeing a lot of love for the most important person in NUFC modern day history, as it’s his 70th birthday today. Here is a personal story to me that shows Kevin Keegan’s kindness.

Back in 1996 when I was a YTS trainee at the club, one of the duties was assisting the kit man to put out training gear for the players and coaches. I was on coach room duty. I was 16 years old, pretty unassuming and shy. Anyway, it’s about 10am and I’m laying out the coaches kit and in walks KK along with his mob-handed management/coaching team. I recall it being a pretty cold morning. Keegan rubs his hands together and the dialogue went a bit like this.

KK - “Cold one this morning, gents. Let’s get the kettle on. Terry (McDermott), coffee?

TM - “Yes, please. Coffee one sugar”.

KK - “Arthur (Cox)?”

AC - “Yes please, gaffer. Tea white please”.

KK - “Budgie (John Burridge)?”

JB - “Fantastic, gaffer. Coffee black”.

KK - “Chris (McMenemy)?”

CM - “Great, tea white, one sugar please, gaffer”.

KK - “Owen?”

The fact he knew my name felt like I’d scored a 25 yarder in front of a packed Gallowgate.

Me - “White Tea, two sugars please, Gaffer”.

The room had a moment silence before the coaches laughed. I thought, ah shit, I maybe shouldn’t have asked for sugar like.

Keegan’s head popped out of his t-shirt that he was putting on. He stared at me and said, “No, you’re making them you fuckin’ idiot”.

This story still creases me mutha and fatha to this day.

Seeing a lot of love for the most important person in NUFC modern day history, as it’s his 70th birthday today. Here is a personal story to me that shows Kevin Keegan’s kindness.

Back in 1996 when I was a YTS trainee at the club, one of the duties was assisting the kit man to put out training gear for the players and coaches. I was on coach room duty. I was 16 years old, pretty unassuming and shy. Anyway, it’s about 10am and I’m laying out the coaches kit and in walks KK along with his mob-handed management/coaching team. I recall it being a pretty cold morning. Keegan rubs his hands together and the dialogue went a bit like this.

KK - “Cold one this morning, gents. Let’s get the kettle on. Terry (McDermott), coffee?

KK - “Arthur (Cox)?”

KK - “Chris (McMenemy)?”

KK - “Owen?”

The fact he knew my name felt like I’d scored a 25 yarder in front of a packed Gallowgate.

The room had a moment silence before the coaches laughed. I thought, ah shit, I maybe shouldn’t have asked for sugar like.

Keegan’s head popped out of his t-shirt that he was putting on. He stared at me and said, “No, you’re making them you fuckin’ idiot”.

🤣🤣

KK - “Arthur (Cox)?”

KK - “Chris (McMenemy)?”

KK - “Owen?”

🤣🤣

Saw that on Twitter earlier, class. :lol:

Nice interview with Alan Parry.

:'(

and he mentions that world cup.

he'd been injured and came on as sub in the last game and missed a sitter of a header at the back post. didnt matter as we would have still needed another. was gutted for him as he's waited 10 years to play in a world cup.

was heartbreaking getting knocked out without losing a game.

Thank you to Disco[/member] for the reference to the Ten out of Ten video.

Was great watching that back.

Cannot remember that 4-0 cup win against Leicester !

Was the Anglo-Italian mind.

Got a lift to it by a mates dad and he was bit keen that we got out early to avoid the rush, pulled a pretend toilet trip and snook back in to catch Mickey Quinn's goal.

Later honed the technique to skive whole lessons at school and kill time at work.

Few weeks later my art-teacher tutor mocked up a laminated black and white birthday card with Keegan's face superimposed on a figure. Probably the material possession I've had and lost that I most miss now.

Gonna watch the Bristol City home-coming match this week. It really was a genuinely messianic feeling that week and that game to a kid just felt like something massive was happening the afternoon after I heard the news and all week.

Got a lift to it by a mates dad and he was bit keen that we got out early to avoid the rush, pulled a pretend toilet trip and snook back in to catch Mickey Quinn's goal.

Later honed the technique to skive whole lessons at school and kill time at work.

Few weeks later my art-teacher tutor mocked up a laminated black and white birthday card with Keegan's face superimposed on a figure. Probably the material possession I've had and lost that I most miss now.

Gonna watch the Bristol City home-coming match this week. It really was a genuinely messianic feeling that week and that game to a kid just felt like something massive was happening the afternoon after I heard the news and all week.

I went to every home game that season including the Anglo Italian Cup games. We played Leicester, Ascoli and Cesena at home in the competition. Ascoli game was mental. David Kelly got sent off for King fu kicking one of their players and I somehow ended up on the pitch during all the chaos immediately after that. Only 9k or so there but it just went crazy. The Cesena match I remember because I took an inflatable hammer with me for some reason and it was confiscated at the turnstile. Was the lowest crowd I've ever been in at SJP (circ 4,600) and I remember a cat just strolling around an almost deserted Gallowgate end during the 2nd half.

I went to every home game that season including the Anglo Italian Cup games. We played Leicester, Ascoli and Cesena at home in the competition. Ascoli game was mental. David Kelly got sent off for King fu kicking one of their players and I somehow ended up on the pitch during all the chaos immediately after that. Only 9k or so there but it just went crazy. The Cesena match I remember because I took an inflatable hammer with me for some reason and it was confiscated at the turnstile. Was the lowest crowd I've ever been in at SJP (circ 4,600) and I remember a cat just strolling around an almost deserted Gallowgate end during the 2nd half.

Ha ha the umpa lumpa!

Sheedy scored a great free kick in that Leicester 4-0 iirc!

Scary that it's nearly 30 years ago FFS!

:lol:

The David Kelly kick was excellent. They'd been kicking the fuck out of us all game and in the end he snapped.

I was in the Milburn Paddock with my brother for that game, the one and only time I stood there. It happened yards in front of us and I ended up getting one of their players in a headlock on the pitch.....wasn't malicious or anything was just trying to break it up. Fuck knows what I was thinking....would probably be a life time ban nowadays.

That's me bottom of the pic with the gloves on.

lofJ0CH-WtWaiuUp6JEdaWOJhIqDgjU9QoaWZ9RcCFu2J8reSXI7lo5prrMgIsXfGRlnynC5wvkUEgMtg8ddGJ_ef1LoLTrtxo7MnmrZGb5eVxUixV6-6GIZneIFGcJq3K-FDUUkHBFo1SvO9kTpbWBRt2IHV5VRW9moyRy1z81AdgiL_8-jzYhc-XxPjkoeOwUSDr0Air4ybjdDfdJ1MFUyZIyN4b60YPbYkJLqDwlcSfTwKVm4NLgN6--VpoJSXHLrCazQgJGyPWPNoHWM_dIuAgSkACDFiX-SJRDf2h6f1UQBFssQz90u7EBKxSTyGgScev8kIcUicETelTkpyAiH7H49JNk4ZNRr2Wicobql3r7Zim9_oMnR-fEo22PnUrd0rvVEwccUFG8eTk_g7gd0SSYR-x_yLYg5KXCzDuJOEyIKvLCXg7dvt55ERqmS3t0vspgqUTlvXxJCoPFZideQOKe36LJEqdHiQeZ36j0qgY-QsHGWRqsoX7wreluG8eyB7EUW7HZxJY3CVHkezBozitUucN9QaKYwKzKwj0qpBPIR7Q2-Cq0jABaYT40gbRQQs3dv4sGqYR1sIB01VX-rvG-l827m0tW9_Shw5pq6S3f2ouZPLE-9DBXwUtS5Pp0X8g11iPHsv__GxXldD1NqTMW2reIdw2cOFzLVE9KhvawIitYhBPWs=w278-h568-no?authuser=0

:lol::lol:

Brilliant.

I was up above you in the Gallowgate wing of the Milburn Stand seats.

The Leazes wing of the Milburn Stand was the place to be back then. Full of absolute nutcases but they narve made a hell of a racket!

Agreed. I had my season ticket there from 1992, second last row next to the Leazes. Was great when the away fans were there for a couple of seasons. Ended up getting kicked out even though I had a bond, but moved a few feet away into the Milburn Paddock til I jacked it in.

Went to Ascoli (East Stand) but not Cesena, think it became too evident we weren't taking it seriously (and not advancing). The European management penchant for trench coats is what always stands out. Was Kelly redeemed the very next Saturday with that hat-trick against Cambridge? Was the sort or romantic story that happened regularly under Keegan.

Remember the away games being on during the day midweek, had one taped off the radio.

How quickly things change indeed re Bierhoff - less than 2 years later I was taping the Antwerp away game in the UEFA Cup off the radio. (Think was something like a 6pm kick-off).

Benito Carbone played in one of those games too. Few years later scored the great over-head quick here in a pulsating atmosphere against Sheffield Wed. Can't have thought it was the same club.