Newcastle United 4 - 1 Stoke City - 16/01/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

What a day :) Was really sceptical paying £20 after the first game but very happy to have done now!

Atmosphere was class from start to finish, a real buzz about the place again and the players all looked like the shackles of long ball football had been released and they were allowed to play expressive football again.

I was in SJH Middle Tier so couldn't really see the first goal, saw the good work from Viduka and it got bundled in, poachers goal I guess from Owen. The Emre red had everybody up in arms because from where we were it looked like a cheeky trip to stop a counter attack, so when it was red...well Uriah was even less popular. Having seen it again, it was a stupid thing to do with Rennie Henry as the ref so I'm not overly surprised it was red, there's certainly a case for it. I think everybody feared the worst following this but fair play to Pearson, he left the 2 up front and went to 3 narrow in midfield and it paid off. Getting the 2nd so quickly obviously helped.

Duff, Milner and N'Zogbia, as Willow the Wisp said, could all have got  MotM - all absolutely brilliant, basically played with the freedom of the pitch, and it always seemed to work. Stoke never seemed to overrun them either, which probably says more about them than it does about us. Milner's goal was well taken, and Duff's was a lovely counter attack, something we haven't done enough in recent times. He busted a gut to get there and took it so so well. Zog got Man of the match officially and I can't really argue with that.

Owen looked better than he has but still looked a bit off the pace - he doesn't really seem sharp to flick ons, maybe it's the whole lost his pace argument but he just doesn't seem to see them coming anymore. Carr and Enrique did well as what effectively was wing backs, Carr is still fatter than holy hell but did a good job. Shame we didn't get the clean sheet but it's quite fitting really, and it had to be that tit Lawrence who scored...

But of course the best part of my day was my 30 second grumpy conversation with PM about how much of a terrible match it would be. I've never been happier to be wrong :)  (That was before we knew Keegan had been appointed!)

It was class wasn't it?

Another point I could say was that I don't really remember seeing one long ball ALL NIGHT which I found really positive. It was all played on the turf and we created lots of chances. The opposition may not have been good enough but the difference seemed massive to me, the way they played and just attacked.

Plus I got in for £15 with student discount and managed to score some really nice seats. Top night!

Where were you sat, Willow?

Well firstly I bought a ticket and when I went to sit in GG 0107 behind one of the goals I found a season ticket holder was in my seat so chatted with a steward who took me to a bit with empty seats that seemed good for me. I'm afraid this was my first time in the stadium since it held 36,000 so I don't know all the correct names but this pic is basically my view:

http://www.fussballtempel.net/uefa/ENG/St_James_Park2.jpg

Didn't miss a goal and enjoyed myself. Lost my voice now like  :icon_biggrin:

Thats just along from where I sit looks like bar 1892 or soverign club. Class night never knew stoke are 4th in the Championship they were shocking. Roll on Saturday.

Yeah, there was a bar right next to us, which was nice and cozy warm after sitting out in the cold, seemed relatively posh in there too :)

You sit on plastic of leather seats ? If that's where you sat might of been plat club like, should of come and said hi lol. Though if your where further forward than the pic most likely bar 1892.

You sit on plastic of leather seats ? If that's where you sat might of been plat club like, should of come and said hi lol. Though if your where further forward than the pic most likely bar 1892.

Hmm not sure, in the bar I was just propping it up, I never sat down. We just came in to get warm, I took some photos with my phone too so I'll try and stick some up if I can...

edit: heres where I sat

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4531/dsc00033xg8.th.jpg

Wish people would stop saying "it was only Stoke" - they are chasing promotion and have an excellent away record which can only be achieved through good organisation. Last night was a big game for them with their biggest away following.

Last season it was ONLY Birmingham and look what happened.

BTW has anyone ever seen a side down to 10 men for so long play such good adventurous football. Sometimes 10 men hang on and grind a result but I thought last night was exceptional.

Much of this was down to Zogbia playing the role he prefers in CM. It's a long time since we've had anyone who justified the title "playmaker" but he certainly looks like one.

My mate had a fiver on 4-0, if mackem twat Liam Lawrence is found deed today then it was him what done it  :thup:

He also had Duff first scorer each way, so if Duff had scored one of the first 3 he would have collected on that as well, poor bloke  :laugh:

Where were you sat, Willow?

Well firstly I bought a ticket and when I went to sit in GG 0107 behind one of the goals

I sit in row GG . . . had 2 empty seats on my right and left . . . think the club was trying to tell me something haha

Given - 7

Carr - 8

Enrique - 7

Taylor - 7

Cacapa - 7

Milner - 8

Duff - 9

N'Zogbia - 8

Emre - 4

Owen - 8

Viduka - 7

Regardless of the opposition, last night's performance was excellent. Full credit to Pearson as well who didn't panic at 1-0 and ten-men. Could have easily took off Owen or someone and put on Rozehnal straight away. Think if Allardyce had still been here we'd have certainly have seen that happen.