Kevin Keegan's Black and White Army 0-0 Bolton - 19/1/08 - Reaction from Page 18

James

Guest LucaAltieri

Two away games against Arsenal up, then an away game against Villa and after that Man U at home. A damn difficult start for Keegan

Difficult but not impossible to pick up points. We've managed to get something out of good Arsenal sides in the past and I reckon we will again. Also, one of those Arsenal games is in the cup so couldn't give a toss about that one, so long as we pick a point up in the league. We'll get battered by Man United again but Villa certainly aren't unbeatable. Chin up.

Guest The Libertine

keegan makes the same first error sam made. he played ameobi. andy o'brien marked him out the game. and dont give me any of that "he needs games" stuff, he was s**** before his injury and he's s**** after it.

bolton were considerably nearer to scoring than we were. did we even have a decent shot on target?

One thing Sam didn't do was play Ameobi. I think he played him once against Derby? And then never again.

yes, he played him against derby and he had his usual nightmare. sam learned from his mistake and didnt play him again (bar arsenal in the cup)

I'm desperately disappointed but in one way i'm slightly pleased it turned out like that. The season itself doesn't really matter, we're not getting relegated and we're not getting into Europe. Keegan can survey that and know exactly what he has to do. It wasn't even a bad performance. We lacked a bit of 'something else' that one or two of the missing players (namely Martins/Beye) might have provided.

Mainly, we're missing a spark, a click. Centre-mid, centre-mid!

Yes at least he knows which players are not up to it!

Milner Rozza Carr Ameobi Butt Smith all need to get the fuck out at the 1st chance we get!

Shocking that even KK can'y inspire them enough to even get a shot on target!

Sam has taken us backwards with the signings he made!

People say they still want sam after that?

Lua Lua looked promising and the team tried to actually play football.  Those are the positives.

Milner was awful today, N'Zogbia never really got going, Ameobi wasn't anywhere near match sharpness, and Owen was a nonfactor.  Given all of that, it was going to be hard to score against anyone, much less a team with 9 behind the ball. 

It's a process.  And I hope this shows people how far we have to go.

That little outside-of-foot pass through to Owen would have been exceptional if it had come off. Fantastic vision.

Guest LucasUnger

sorry for kk not to win. and for the games we now have.

quite a few positive things (2nd half).

but we need a few players in right now.

ameobi should never ever even get a place in the reserves. come on glenn bring him to norwich.

Guest Chris P

Good team selection today . loved Rothental in that new midfield roll . Enrique proved why he's called the Bull. Duff was a waste of space. we were still playing set piece big sam football , but it'll get better

I take optimism for today's second half. I think the attacking football is something we have missed for a while.

It's a pity there is no goal but the attacking intent, the pressure, the possession, the speed of attacking was nice. The future will be better :)

I think we lose out on alot of headers. Unfortunately, Owen was pretty quiet for the match. Ameobi wasn't that bad. But I don't think any players was particularly awlful honestly.The team will take time to gel, that I'm sure.

Enrique is very promising ^^

Regards,

Ericz

Agree entirely with that summing up.

I second that, and raise you a shite ref. Utter tosspot, just like Bolton who managed to timewaste from the first fucking minute. Baffling.

Guest Novocastrian

To be fair to Keegan I would think Martins, Viduka and Smith would have been in ahead of Ameobi. There wasn't much for Keegan to pick from and I'll be amazed if Ameobi gets more then Half a dozen more starts for Newcastle before he is shipped out to Norwich or some other team of Championship stiffs.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of anybody concrete that we need to buy right now.

From the performances itself, we need

(1) A striker that can head - I'm hoping Viduka's return will solve just that.

(2) A CM that dares to take shot outside the box. Of course, with a degree of accuracy too - Maybe Barton or Emre?

Regards,

Ericz

Guest Brendan_Rice

Zog man of the match, Given shut up the doubters.  Considering how many first team players we actually had available for this game, that isn't a terrible result.

I thought Owen would have stepped up as captain but I think there are a lot fo positives can be taken from the game.  Zog was immense we tried to pass it about well although we just couldn't do it in the final third where it really matters.  Shola battled well and doen alright for his first game back one of the few players that challenged Bolton in the air.  I think the wingers were so ineffective because of the way Sam has been playing and training them. 

Most importantly WE DIDN'T PLAY NEGATIVE FOOTBALL AND TRIED TO HAVE A GO.

I can see Keegan bringing in a couple of flair players that have the quality to improve our attacking options.  I would love to see Sean Wright Phillips if we could get him.  He would have been just what we needed today, him and Zog would link up well.

Camped in their half for practically the whole of the second half just a problem that we couldnt break them down but a lack of creativity has been obvious the whole season.

Not a bad performance though when you consider we are missing Martins, Beye, Feye, Geremi, Butt, Barton, Smith, Emre and Viduka dont think ive missed anyone else. Think Milner was better when he went to the left and dare i say it thought Carr had a very good game. Zog looks rejuvinated and is set to be a massive player for us did well even though heavily marked. Bolton came to piss on the parade and thats what they did.

Well... I thought we kept the ball on the deck and passed it around well.  Seems the our back line has been told to keep the ball and pass out from defence, which led to far more posession for us.  Bolton had a very defensive game plan, and they roughed us up well.  We need more players bursting in to the box from midfield, as Owen and Ameobi need support. 

Given - 7/10 - Did well to save us at the end, other than that not much to do.

Enrique - 6/10 - Had an ok game.  Needs to think a bit faster as he will make a tackle, then fanny around a bit before deciding what to do with the ball.  In that time usually Bolton make a challenge and either get the ball back or get it out for a throw. 

Cacapa - 7/10 - Good game.  Think he's getting used to the pace & strength of the league.  Came out out of defence to and passed well.

Taylor - 7/10 - Good game, strong.  Not much else to say.

Carr - 6/10 - Wasn't awful, but needs to give up shooting.  He's in same boat as Nicky Butt for long rangers, needs to leave shooting to the players who are better at it.

Duff - 5/10 - Felt he was not his self today.  Didn't do enough and he should have been crossing more or shooting more.

N'Zogbia 6/10 - Nothing amazing, but some good runs.  His delivery on free kicks or corners was nothing special.

Milner - 5/10 - Poor delivery... no good crosses.

Rozenhal 6/10 - Played ok.  Much better than Smith.  Nothing special.

Owen - 4/10 - Was he playing?

Ameobi - 5/10 - Tried hard, but lacked quality.

What did people think to Rozehnal? Distinctly unimpressed, personally, if that's supposed to be his best position. Looked pretty clueless to me. Offered very, very little and his distribution is just as 'scoop-y' and all over ther place as Butt's is. :undecided:

Worried about him, i have to say. Makes me nervous watching the guy.

roz was shit he isnt a midfileder and should never be played there

ameobi is shit and should be sold to norwich, constantly gives away free kicks whether it be offsides or elbowing or pushing

apart from that we were alot more positive than we have been, it's just bolton did their job and came for a point and did everything they could to prevent football

Guest LucaAltieri

Zog man of the match, Given shut up the doubters.  Considering how many first team players we actually had available for this game, that isn't a terrible result.

I thought Owen would have stepped up as captain but I think there are a lot fo positives can be taken from the game.  Zog was immense we tried to pass it about well although we just couldn't do it in the final third where it really matters.  Shola battled well and doen alright for his first game back one of the few players that challenged Bolton in the air.  I think the wingers were so ineffective because of the way Sam has been playing and training them. 

Most importantly WE DIDN'T PLAY NEGATIVE FOOTBALL AND TRIED TO HAVE A GO.

I can see Keegan bringing in a couple of flair players that have the quality to improve our attacking options.  I would love to see Sean Wright Phillips if we could get him.  He would have been just what we needed today, him and Zog would link up well.

Fast but nowt else. Not what we need in my opinion.

What did people think to Rozehnal? Distinctly unimpressed, personally, if that's supposed to be his best position. Looked pretty clueless to me. Offered very, very little and his distribution is just as 'scoop-y' and all over ther place as Butt's is. :undecided:

Worried about him, i have to say. Makes me nervous watching the guy.

Agreed I wasn't impressed, but I'm giving our players a clean slate under Keegan (except the obvious no hopers).

Guest Brendan_Rice

keegan makes the same first error sam made. he played ameobi. andy o'brien marked him out the game. and dont give me any of that "he needs games" stuff, he was s**** before his injury and he's s**** after it.

bolton were considerably nearer to scoring than we were. did we even have a decent shot on target?

Shola done more than Owen today.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of anybody concrete that we need to buy right now.

From the performances itself, we need

(1) A striker that can head - I'm hoping Viduka's return will solve just that.

(2) A CM that dares to take shot outside the box. Of course, with a degree of accuracy too - Maybe Barton or Emre?

Regards,

Ericz

Viduka can't head the ball to save his life if we're playing it long, which we did occassionally today (it wasn't long ball tactics, obviously, just on occassion it was the best option), so don't get your hopes up there.

I don't think it's that crucial a thing anyhow, we'll mainly be seeing the ball on the floor from now on (one hopes), and i think Martins/Owen/Viduka will all bury a header right infront of goal.

We desperately need a 'midfield maestro'. Someone to make us tick.