Kevin Keegan's Black and White Army 0-0 Bolton - 19/1/08 - Reaction from Page 18

James

I take optimism for today's second half. I think the attacking football is something we have missed for a while.

It's a pity there is no goal but the attacking intent, the pressure, the possession, the speed of attacking was nice. The future will be better :)

I think we lose out on alot of headers. Unfortunately, Owen was pretty quiet for the match. Ameobi wasn't that bad. But I don't think any players was particularly awlful honestly.The team will take time to gel, that I'm sure.

Enrique is very promising ^^

Regards,

Ericz

Good second half performance.

We didn't win because Bolton were a bunch of cheating shitholes who deserve tobe relegated, and because the referee was a bottler.

Lots of positives to take out of that performance.

It'll get better, chin up lads...

not in the near future and we are now in a serious battle to avoid relegation

Do you actually support Newcastle?

Yes i do but anyone who doesnt think relegation is possible with players and performances like that are kidding themselves

You will note that as utterly garbage as we were Bolton made us look like the font of all creativity when it came to attacking, and as for Derby and the mackems if we don't finish above them I would be fine with us instantly being relegated to League Two, as an apt and fair punishment.

The bottom of the ladder is so thick with dross this year that it would actually be the managerial achievement of the year to get Newcastle relegated through it.

Ref's been shocking like. Not in the sense that he's getting decisions wrong, but he's very frustrating with his nit-picking on ball placement.

Total pain in the ass the game didnt have a chance to flow with him.......some of the Bolton lads played him well from their point of view. he one time it looked like we opened them up he stopped play

Guest The Libertine

keegan makes the same first error sam made. he played ameobi. andy o'brien marked him out the game. and dont give me any of that "he needs games" stuff, he was shite before his injury and he's shite after it.

bolton were considerably nearer to scoring than we were. did we even have a decent shot on target?

I'm desperately disappointed but in one way i'm slightly pleased it turned out like that. The season itself doesn't really matter, we're not getting relegated and we're not getting into Europe. Keegan can survey that and know exactly what he has to do. It wasn't even a bad performance. We lacked a bit of 'something else' that one or two of the missing players (namely Martins/Beye) might have provided.

Mainly, we're missing a spark, a click. Centre-mid, centre-mid!

Guest Mcdonald36

Please don't lay into them, because there wasn't a lot wrong with that.

Apart from the obvious lack of quality and creativity in the final third?

We are what we are, a mid table Prem team, and all the motivation in the world will not change that.

Good second half performance.

We didn't win because Bolton were a bunch of cheating shitholes who deserve tobe relegated, and because the referee was a bottler.

Lots of positives to take out of that performance.

There really is. I can't wait for the next couple of games.

I take optimism for today's second half. I think the attacking football is something we have missed for a while.

It's a pity there is no goal but the attacking intent, the pressure, the possession, the speed of attacking was nice. The future will be better :)

I think we lose out on alot of headers. Unfortunately, Owen was pretty quiet for the match. Ameobi wasn't that bad. But I don't think any players was particularly awlful honestly.The team will take time to gel, that I'm sure.

Enrique is very promising ^^

Regards,

Ericz

Agree entirely with that summing up.

keegan makes the same first error sam made. he played ameobi. andy o'brien marked him out the game. and dont give me any of that "he needs games" stuff, he was s**** before his injury and he's s**** after it.

bolton were considerably nearer to scoring than we were. did we even have a decent shot on target?

One thing Sam didn't do was play Ameobi. I think he played him once against Derby? And then never again.

Please don't lay into them, because there wasn't a lot wrong with that.

Apart from the obvious lack of quality and creativity in the final third?

We are what we are, a mid table Prem team, and all the motivation in the world will not change that.

Given the players that were out there, yes, you're right. We lacked the cutting edge. But with the centre-midfielders that we had and Shola Ameobi upfront, that was always a distinct possibility. As people are saying - get the chequebook out Ashley, quickly.

Would have liked to see the other two pacy players that we're missing, Beye and Martins, come into that game on say about seventy minutes or something.

Calm down! :razz:

Lua Lua looked promising and the team tried to actually play football.  Those are the positives.

Milner was awful today, N'Zogbia never really got going, Ameobi wasn't anywhere near match sharpness, and Owen was a nonfactor.  Given all of that, it was going to be hard to score against anyone, much less a team with 9 behind the ball. 

It's a process.  And I hope this shows people how far we have to go.

Ref's been shocking like. Not in the sense that he's getting decisions wrong, but he's very frustrating with his nit-picking on ball placement.

Total pain in the ass the game didnt have a chance to flow with him.......some of the Bolton lads played him well from their point of view. he one time it looked like we opened them up he stopped play

There was a time when ameobi had been fowled, but N'zogbia played milner in down the right.  Milner was free behind the defence and it almost certainly would have been a goal but the play was stopped to give us a free kick.  Horrible officiating.

Guest SeattleToon

I think this match revealed our overall lack of passing ability. We dominated the 2nd half, but our corners and set pieces were absolutely horrible.

I thought Rozenhal looks much better as the holding midfielder than he does as a central defender. Cacapa, no the other hand, defended well, but distributed horribly. Would also have liked to see Milner & Zoggy switch wings more often to confuse the Bolton defenders.

Bottom line is that we simply don't have the passing ability to break down a team that put ten men behind the ball. We really need a good playmaker to run the midfield.