Who should play Central Defence?

ShearMagic
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

would rather see faye at DM where he covers alot of ground and is a massive physical presence. play taylor and cacapa as CD.

would rather see faye at DM where he covers alot of ground and is a massive physical presence. play taylor and cacapa as CD.

O0

Guest Ridzuan

Yeah I agree.Faye can play very well in both position but I think it would suit us better if he is playing in centre of the midfield.Butt and Geremi is not good enough.So Cacapa should partner Taylor in the back.

Newcastle is afterall an English club. Although Football is a global language and the game has globalised but I think if we want to preserve at least some dignity in English Football, we should at least have a few English players as backbone in the squad.

Examples will be:

Chelsea - John Terry

Liverpool - Jamie Carragher

Manchester City - Richard Dunne / Micah Richards

I don't really support english players because they are often over-rated. Other nationalities seem to perform better in all other positions however I think England is still able to produce decent defenders. That is one of the area where England is strong in. Therefore, nurturing Steven Taylor and making him into the backbone of the squad is important.

Steven Taylor can be our very own John Terry for Chelsea, Jamie Carragher for Liverpool, Tony Adams/Sol Campbell for Arsenal in the past.

Furthermore, we do need a certain number of english players in the squad to be able to qualify for certain tournament if I'm not wrong and it is always good to have a few core ones.

Regards,

Ericz

Newcastle is afterall an English club. Although Football is a global language and the game has globalised but I think if we want to preserve at least some dignity in English Football, we should at least have a few English players as backbone in the squad.

Don't you think "dignity in English Football" and "club who employs Joey Barton" are mutually exclusive?

I don't think there's anything to be gained from well-intentioned-but-ultimately-pointless national pride here.

Yeah I agree.Faye can play very well in both position but I think it would suit us better if he is playing in centre of the midfield.Butt and Geremi is not good enough.So Cacapa should partner Taylor in the back.

Faye and Taylor are the best two CB's, but got to agree with Sondre, Faye is also probably the best DM and we need him there more at the moment. We need another player like Faye for CB or get a better DM and put Faye CB.

Faye and Taylor.

Or Faye and Van Buyten!

Faye is good in mf, but I really don't want a dedicated DM when we could go for an attacking centre mid and someone to pull the strings (i.e. someone who can pass well, holding but not defensive)

A dominating defensive midfielder with all of Faye's attributes is harder to find than a centre-back with them. I would therefore keep him in central midfield and look to bring in someone of van Buyten or Campbell's ilk to partner Caçapa at the back for the rest of the season. Taylor has done well in recent weeks, and if we couldn't get a centre-back in i would still play Faye in midfield and keep him in defence, but in the long term i don't think he's good enough to be a permanent fixture in the first team.

Guest optimistic nit

Taylor & Faye, the other two options make me want to cry.

Hopefully they'll both (Cacapa & Rozy) be out the door in the summer in part of a very large clearout.

another one already?

Once they are all back and fit then Taylor---Faye would be my choice, but for now with no Faye we have to use Taylor---Cacapa.

Keegan will probably buy a CB before the close of the window and then I reckon it will be Taylor and the new CB.

A full back four of...

Beye---Taylor---? ? ?----Enrique

Taylor & Faye, the other two options make me want to cry.

Hopefully they'll both (Cacapa & Rozy) be out the door in the summer in part of a very large clearout.

another one already?

Carr

Geremi

Smith

Ameobi

Add nothing to our squad apart from numbers.

Cacapa

Butt

Owen

Viduka

Either ageing or cost too much for their talent.

Rozenhal

Barton

Emre

Duff

Not worked out but we could still get some decent coin for them...possibly.

So yes, a big clearout is need next summer. I'm not saying all are going to leave, that would be too much of a dream to come true, but if we can kick half of them were getting closer to a revival.

Guest optimistic nit

i'd keep cacapa duff and viduka. emre can go if we can get some decent coinage and barton can stay if we only use him as a sub and not in the first team.