Help - Beardsley or Gascoigne?

Jay Jay Sea
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For pure skill and Ability then Gazza was class, just a total tit that ruined his career, therefore Beardsley takes it by a mile

I wouldn't even agree that Beardsley did more with the time he had...

Club and Country

Gascoigne

FIFA World Cup Fourth Place winners medal, 1990

FA Cup, 1991

Scottish League Championship, 1996 and 1997

Scottish Cup, 1996

Scottish League Cup, 1997

PFA Young Player of the Year, 1988

BBC Sports Personality of the Year, 1990

Scottish Players' Player of the Year, 1996

Scottish Football Writers' Player of the Year, 1996

English Football Hall of Fame Inaugural Inductee, 2002

Beardsley

Football League First Division 1987/88 and 1989/90

FA Cup 1988/89

Charity Shield 1988/89, 1989/90 and 1990/91

Football League Second Division 1998/99

For pure skill and Ability then Gazza was class, just a total tit that ruined his career, therefore Beardsley takes it by a mile

Club and Country

Gascoigne

FA Cup, 1991

Scottish Cup, 1996

Beardsley

FA Cup 1988/89

FYP.

Club and Country

Gascoigne

FA Cup, 1991

Beardsley

FA Cup 1988/89

FYP.

FYPAW

Club and Country

Gascoigne

FA Cup, 1991

Scottish Cup, 1996

Beardsley

FA Cup 1988/89

FYP.

I don't see how removing Gascoigne's individual awards is fixing the post.  Perhaps if you'd added Beardsleys.

Gazza was without a doubt one of the most skillful English footballers of the last x number of years. But that's it. There more to being a top player than that.

So are you saying Gazza was just all skill and no end product?

Gazza was without a doubt one of the most skillful English footballers of the last x number of years. But that's it. There more to being a top player than that.

No, not at all. I just don't think he had the mentality of a professional sportsmen and, as such, only achieved a percentage of what he could've. I'm a Gazza fan, but I don't admire him like I do Pedro.

No, not at all. I just don't think he had the mentality of a professional sportsmen and, as such, only achieved a percentage of what he could've. I'm a Gazza fan, but I don't admire him like I do Pedro.

Can't go along with that.  Longevity shouldn't be a concern.  The question is, when both players were on the pitch for 90 minutes, who could do more in that game?

It's undoubtedly Gascoigne.  His wife beating, drunken, psycholgically unbalanced, drug addled state of mind doesn't come into it.

It's like saying The Clash are better than The Sex Pistols because they have a larger back catalogue.  The Sex Pistols' one album is better than anything from The Clash.  Both are good, but the Pistols defined the period.

Can't go along with that.  Longevity shouldn't be a concern.  The question is, when both players were on the pitch for 90 minutes, who could do more in that game?

It's undoubtedly Gascoigne.  His wife beating, drunken, psycholgically unbalanced, drug addled state of mind doesn't come into it.

It's like saying The Clash are better than The Sex Pistols because they have a larger back catalogue.  The Sex Pistols' one album is better than anything from The Clash.  Both are good, but the Pistols defined the period.

Well, you're wrong about that an' all. :laugh:

Completely wrong, but good analogy.

The Clash were much better than the Sex Pistols, but the Pistols are the one's people who aren't really into music remember because of the hype and the drama.

Completely wrong, but good analogy.

The Clash were much better than the Sex Pistols, but the Pistols are the one's people who aren't really into music remember because of the hype and the drama.

Bollocks.  I love the clash, but they never made an album as good as Never Mind the Bollocks.

Beardsley for me

Gascoigne was a great player but for sheer longevity and class it has to be Beardsley.

PS didn't Beardsley play a major roll in the 1990 England world cup semi final team?

Gascoigne at his peak was the greatest footballer in the world.

Sadly his peak was very short, whereas Pedro was still turning it on well into his 30s and gave me far more enjoyment, not least becasue I saw him play for Newcastle whereas Gazza was here before my time.

Despite this, I voted for Gazza even though Beardsley did much more with his talent than Paul did with his, because I've decided  I'm voting on simply who was the best player at their peak.

Beardsley for me

Gascoigne was a great player but for sheer longevity and class it has to be Beardsley.

PS didn't Beardsley play a major roll in the 1990 England world cup semi final team?

Gascoigne was the only Englishman in the the team of the tournament.

EDIT:  He was also in the Euro '96 one.

Beardsley for me

Gascoigne was the only Englishman in the the team of the tournament.

EDIT:  He was also in the Euro '96 one.

I also remember the 1986 England team being inspired by a Beardsley fed Lineker

Guest Mucky01

Gascoigne was the single greatest English player of the last 30 odd years.  Beardsley was one of the other talented ones.

Anyone voting the other way is over romanticising things.

agreed Gazza – before he knacked his knee was probably the best midfielder in the world.

Pedro one of the best in the toon.

Bull.

Longevity is important. It's like the point made in another thread about Sir Les being at his best greater than Shearer (dubious imo)-- the problem being that Les' peak lasted two years while Shearer's six (a very important point). Shearer was the greater player.

And the Clash were the greater band. And as far as individual albums go, I'd take London Calling any day.