KK - Shearer won't be my assistant

Dokko

Anything on transfers?

Nope, it was just the section about Shearer. Nothing that's not been already mentioned. Seems convinced Shearer will end up manager, and possibly as a promotion from within (ie not just coming in as manager).

Keegan reveals Shearer talksJan 25 2008

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN revealed today he has held lengthy discussions with Alan Shearer over the Geordie ace joining his backroom staff.

"I talked to Alan for four hours last night," said Keegan, who added that another meeting is planned for Monday.

The United boss added: ``We will see what happens on Monday. It will not be as number two, I will tell you that.

``It will not be, and that’s the conclusion we both came to. But it will be, if he decides to come in, a very worthwhile role."

Keegan also revealed that there had been no movement in the transfer market yet.

Meanwhile, the United boss has issued a rallying call ahead of the trip to Arsenal tomorrow by asking his side to play with "courage" in their FA Cup tie.

Looking ahead to Arsenal, he said today: "It’s a terrific tie for us.

"If you thought about the places where we could go there can’t be too many harder.

"You could put Man United in there and Chelsea and Liverpool, but as far as Arsenal is concerned it’s a chance to advance.

"The cup throws up shocks at times and for most people it would a shock.

"But that’s what we have to try to do – cause a shock."

KK started his third spell in charge with a 0-0 draw with Bolton Wanderers, and just like the Trotters upset the odds by holding United at St James's last week, Keegan feels Newcastle can do similar at the Emirates.

He added:"We had the perfect opportunity against a side at home, and who are where we are in the Premier League.

"That was the perfect starting match, but the reality of the Premier League is that all games are tough, so Arsenal is perfect.

"There’s always a chance, but when you play a team twice in four days you might get a result one way or another. That’s what normally happens.

"I might eat my words but the attitude of my players gives me a lot of hope.

"I think they’ve enjoyed the training.

"When you go to these places, you have to play. You cannot let them have the ball and see what they can do.

"When you’ve got the ball, you have to have the courage to play football."

Hmm no moves as of yet!  Doesn't sound to promising if he thinks that midfield can cause problems!

I honestly don't get why people are worried about transfers. We're not desperate for anyone imo. It'd be nice to have some more creativity, but not essential, because we should be aiming to get more out of Duff, Emre, Zog, Barton and Milner.

That's a fair comment IMO. Sure, we're no world beaters, but we're only 12th and yet Allardyce was sacked. The point being whilst we're clearly not top six material at this point, we're better than where we are now.

If we sign nobody and finish in the same place I'll be happy tbh.

Agree with above. Where as i would LOVE us to sign someone with a bit of spark in midfield, it's not essential until the summer. If anything it might be more benificial for Keegan to try and get the best out of what he's got so that he can have a real look at the problem areas and players he has.

Our new managers priority was always going to have to be about what they get out of the exsiting squad.

Agree with above. Where as i would LOVE us to sign someone with a bit of spark in midfield, it's not essential until the summer. If anything it might be more benificial for Keegan to try and get the best out of what he's got so that he can have a real look at the problem areas and players he has.

Our new managers priority was always going to have to be about what they get out of the exsiting squad.

It's essential to maybe push on from here and try and get a uefa spot.

If new signings would give us a chance of that then waiting until the summer would be daft as we can attract better players if were in europe.

If not we best hope the intertoto route is open for us

It's essential to maybe push on from here and try and get a uefa spot.

If new signings would give us a chance of that then waiting until the summer would be daft as we can attract better players if were in europe.

If not we best hope the intertoto route is open for us

We are WAY off the pace for a UEFA or even Intertoto place, so for me we just need to concentrate on getting the best out of the players and pushing on. Any improvement on 12th is a bonus.

Not that far to be honest and 7th is certainly within reach.

I hate the season being a write off in terms of position. Its highly disapointed that we haven't at least challenged to get into the UEFA cup this year. However, i have had to accept it.

Right now we are looking for more from our club, good, positive performances and a clearer picture of the future. That will do for this season. Yet we should still be looking for top half which not out of our reach.

Can't say I'm that arsed.

The papers tomorrow will make out like we're all in mourning at this news of course.

Me neither now.

I have to say that as a player I adored him BUT if he wanted the job, really, really wanted the job as manager (or significant other) then he should have foregone the job of punditry and learned how to do it.

The continuing speculation has been distracting and, now, appears to have been irrelevant. Shearer also appears to have more than somewhat self-obsessed over it too.

KK should put this to bed and crack on.

I love Shearer for what he's done for this club and the player he was.

BUT:

I get the feeling he's too big for his boots. If he came as assistant, I'd worry that he'd be angling for the top job and that he'd be hanging over Keegan waiting for him to fail.

This way, Shearer will either get another job at Newcastle where he woudlnt' be "next in line to the throne" and therefore couldn't exert that pressure, or else he'll move somewhere else and we'll see if he is any good or not. I'd love him to prove himself and get a crack at the Newcastle job eventually, but ideally only when Keegan has retired of extreme old age having won us everything in sight. :lol:

I'd love him to take up a coaching role at Newcastle now though as I feel he'd have an awful lot to teach the likes of Martins about finishing. But that's up to him, whether he feels that he will take that job or wants a more substantial position straight away.