Keegan: New Signings "Unlikely"

Rich

I thought the Barnes deal may have been done but it seems we are not willing to pay more than £1.5mill for him, yet if we think he will improve our squad why are we not willing to pay more ? I think Derby wanted around £3mill, is that to much for a player that will improve us?

Not even a loan deal for anyone being looked at? seems a little strange to have given up already with a day and a half left to go int he transfer window.

Are you just making these figures up man? f****** hell, no wonder people are disappointed.

Nope, those are the figures that were doing the rounds in the media.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3273318.ece

And we all know how accurate the media is...

Most unblanced, toothless squad in the premiership for the rest of the season, well done NUFC, at least you got Wise in eh?  :clap:

come on nufc ...you know toons taylor just loves getting people in...no matter what quality.

I like quality players and would of liek to see some at my club for once in a bluemoon, problem with that?

Everyone wants to see quality here, but yes there are problems with you expecting it before summer:

The timing of Keegans appointment.

Keegans lengthy absence and probable lack of targets. 

The notorious difficulty in signing anyone in this joke "window".

Chin up, just wait for summer. 

do Man City have another Sibierski knocking about? We could do with a one of those like last season!

He's called Darius Vassell.

:lol: aye

Did see Jewell on SSN saying they had rejected an offer from Newcastle that was nowhere near the amount they wanted for Barnes, when he see's players being sold at other clubs for 4 to 5 million..

I've got no problem with us not bringing anyone in. For me it just means that Keegan gets longer to look at his squad and find out (in depth) where the real problems lie.

I agree, with the Barnes stuff. He's a young talent so it would be nice to see us add him to our squad but in reality he's not going to decide the course to our season.

I know we would all like to sign a couple of stars but if KK doesn't believe they are available, then they aren't as far as i'm concerned. At least we know that we have a sustem in place to scour europe for the best talent on the market.

More important to me is the fact that Emre can come in and replace N'Zogbia in centre mid and the fact that the African boys need to come back unscathed.

"I cannot let anybody go out. I've had inquiries for three players - one loan and two to sell - but I can't do it. It would be madness.

"It would be impossible to sell as I haven't got enough players."

I wonder who was after who, two offers in and three loan deals, Carroll wanted on loan I bet was one of them.

"I cannot let anybody go out. I've had inquiries for three players - one loan and two to sell - but I can't do it. It would be madness.

"It would be impossible to sell as I haven't got enough players."

I wonder who was after who, two offers in and three loan deals, Carroll wanted on loan I bet was one of them.

Ameobi and Emre.

I've got no problem with us not bringing anyone in. For me it just means that Keegan gets longer to look at his squad and find out (in depth) where the real problems lie.

I agree, with the Barnes stuff. He's a young talent so it would be nice to see us add him to our squad but in reality he's not going to decide the course to our season.

I know we would all like to sign a couple of stars but if KK doesn't believe they are available, then they aren't as far as i'm concerned. At least we know that we have a sustem in place to scour europe for the best talent on the market.

More important to me is the fact that Emre can come in and replace N'Zogbia in centre mid and the fact that the African boys need to come back unscathed.

Imho Giles Barnes is going to be one hell of a player and even at 4.5 million or whatever price as i think he will get snapped up by someone else and we will regret it .

Guest elbee909

We could at least have gone and got Gary Speed back in.  I'd accept that right now as far as central midfield is concerned.

Im sure this summer will be big, im dissappointed with this window,but not surprised,as for going down, looks possible but wont happen, we are playing football and our superior qulaity to temas lower than us will get us throught. Thereare realy only 2 relegation places left, and i cant see us being the worst out oflot of them, even though we are on the worst run out the lot, as soonas we get that first win, things will come to us.

What do all the season ticket holders think about this news? Excited about watching that team week in week out?

False promises are Newcastle's strong point. Anyone expecting a massive change in summer? Well you're setting yourselves up for a fall.

What do all the season ticket holders think about this news? Excited about watching that team week in week out?

False promises are Newcastle's strong point. Anyone expecting a massive change in summer? Well you're setting yourselves up for a fall.

I pay for a season ticket to watch the team I support.

If KK can get us playing well with these players (he'll certainly be able to get us playing BETTER), then I'm happy. I only want us to sign players who will really improve us, and no-one (barring Woodgate and Anelka) have moved in this window that would improve us.

And besides, we're not as bad as the doom mongers on here will have you believe.

Well said.

Although i would have liked to have seen some fresh faces brought in i really cant see how we cant still push for the top ten this season , especially when the ACN is finished and the lads come back to toon. 

Even when SA took over at the start of the season i felt the top ten would be a decent finish, maybe's that task is a little bit harder to achive now but it is still achivable......starting with 3 points on sunday.

If KK can get us playing well with these players (he'll certainly be able to get us playing BETTER), then I'm happy. I only want us to sign players who will really improve us, and no-one (barring Woodgate and Anelka) have moved in this window that would improve us.

And besides, we're not as bad as the doom mongers on here will have you believe.

It was an honest question by the way, as you have more right to comment than I do.

Guest float one in

I'm not usually particularly pessimistic where NUFC is concerned, no more than most people I know anyway, but I am wondering about the quality of players we'll be able to bring in in the summer. As it stands its looking like we'll finish somewhere between 11th and the relegation zone, so are many top players going to want to come to us then? All we can offer is loads of money, but so can a canny few clubs who are higher up the league than us (and in some cases playing in Europe). What we do have is the Keegan factor, but does that count for as much these days? First time round, we had the likes of Cole, Ferdinand and Ginola wanting to get on board the bandwagon, plus Pedro wanting to come back and be a part of it, but the situation is totally different now. I am a massive KK supporter and always stand up for what he's done for us when other fans start going on about bottling it in 96 and walking out on us etc etc, but I am a bit doubtful that we'll be able to sign really top players in the summer. If he can work some magic with what we've got, bring in some useful players in key positions (similar to what Erikson has managed this season), and somehow get us into the top 6-7 next season then we might have a bigger summer next year, but I'd be afraid any really big money buys this year would probably involve paying over the odds for second tier players. I'd like to think having a big ground and Michael Owen in our squad might help attracting good players but that is starting to grasp at straws a bit.

Well said, thats what i think, it'd only be Woodgate and Anelka who would fit the criterai that Keegan was after who would improve us, people are getting so negative because we havent signed Johnny Foriegner but Keegan has said from the start that not what he's after.  Thats 2 players in a whole month who would of been suitable for us, and both went to clubs in infinitely better situations then us.

If he gets us playing a like a team, then that would be a major improvement and better than any signing we could potetially of made. Thats the most important thing.

Wait for summer, thats when we'll see the money.

Very good point. The club have written off the last part of the season by failing to address an awful side. Are we ST holders due a partial refund!?

Very good point. The club have written off the last part of the season by failing to address an awful side. Are we ST holders due a partial refund!?

Sensible ST holders will understand why we haven't bought anyone, and not throw their dummies out of their prams because it hasn't been as exciting as they'd hoped.

I dont think its a dummy spit, i'm just fed up with forking out a fortune for incompetence and bullshit. A new signing would have given the players and supporters a lift. God knows they need it.

No point in getting in 2nd rate players on longish contracts/ good money that we would need to get rid of in the summer at a loss and no benefit to league position. Barnes is a good player however, but where would we play him?

For what it's worth, we've actually signed three players this window - Tozer, Baheng, and Kadar with a couple more to come in if reports are to believe. (That Czech lad may actually even be able make an instant impact) These are players that could grow into the core of our first team within 2~3 years.

Assuming we don't get relegated this season. it has been a very good window. For once we're signing promising youngsters instead of going for overpriced mediocre players, which is what we usually do in January.