Shearer turns us down

Guest Erich von Manstein

That's a bit harsh like, Shearer hasn't done anything wrong. The only thing that has happened is that the papers have constantly brought his name up over and over again.

It's not a problem if you can learn to ignore the papers. After all, most of them are full of shit anyway.

He hasn't done a lot wrong, but he could have done a hell of a lot more. He could have bust a gut making it clear he'd love to be no 2 effectively being the next boss of Newcastle. Or alternatively he could say he doesn't want the job yet as he's happy at the beeb.

That;s just being picky. He's just keeping his options open.

Thew most important part of that article is hidden behind Alan Shearer:

Paul Hart to be interviewed regarding an academy role.

Would be a brilliant signing.

Got absolutly no idea who´s that is. But who cares? If they say his good I buy it!

Bring him in=D

He is Academy Director at Portsmouth, didn't do that well when he went into management but has a brilliant reputation and has brought through a number of players in his time in charge of the academies of Leeds and Nottingham Forest.

He was phenominal at Forest in particular, literally one after another, Jenas was one of them.  Promoted him to manager, was less than successful and they sacked him instead of giving him his old job back.  Forest have never been the same since.

Yep, I've edited the post above to show some of the players he helped bring through. Regarded as one of the best in terms of youth development, would be a brilliant move if we can persuade him to come here, he's only been at Pompey since March 2007.

Thew most important part of that article is hidden behind Alan Shearer:

Paul Hart to be interviewed regarding an academy role.

Would be a brilliant signing.

Got absolutly no idea who´s that is. But who cares? If they say his good I buy it!

Bring him in=D

He is Academy Director at Portsmouth, didn't do that well when he went into management but has a brilliant reputation and has brought through a number of players in his time in charge of the academies of Leeds and Nottingham Forest.

He was phenominal at Forest in particular, literally one after another, Jenas was one of them.  Promoted him to manager, was less than successful and they sacked him instead of giving him his old job back.  Forest have never been the same since.

Yep, I've edited the post above to show some of the players he helped bring through. Regarded as one of the best in terms of youth development, would be a brilliant move if we can persuaded him to come here, he's only been at Pompey since March 2007.

And has been for quite a long while now.  My only concern about him would be that he has been away from the Academy side of football for quite a while and coaching techniques for youngsters have changed dramatically over the past few years.  Having said that, he was very good with the old methods.

This whole thread is a bit pointless really, perpetuating the medias hysteria.

I dont think Keegan or Shearer are really bothered about any of the made up statements attributed to them.

I agree Paul Hart will be good for the youth structure . A greater loss to Portsmouth than 'Arry' would have been.

Doug.

ALAN SHEARER has revealed he agonised for days over a return to Newcastle United.

The Toon legend had two meetings with his former boss Kevin Keegan about joining him as part of his management staff at St James’ Park.

But while the heart skipped a beat

at the thought of being part of King Kev’s second coming as manager, the head told him no.

Shearer insisted: “I have not snubbed anyone or anything like that. I chatted to Kevin for four hours at my house first time. Then we had another long meeting on Monday.

“Throughout the talks all I was thinking about was what would be best for Newcastle, not what would be best for me. This club has given me too much for me to turn my back at a time when I might be able to help. But I don’t think I would be a help right now and I have explained that to Kevin.

“He basically told me I could come in as his assistant or in any role I wanted, but the timing is just not right.”

There seems to be a new name arriving to ‘advise’ at St James’ Park every day right now.

When Keegan returned, he spoke about needing to have a special knowledge of the club — then Dennis Wise arrives alongside other ‘executives’.

Shearer said: “Right now I think the last thing they would need is another dominant personality, another name.

“It needs one personality driving things forward at the club and that is Kevin Keegan. It needs to be his way and if it is, I think he can turn things round. Myself and Kevin were just too similar personalities, we are both opinionated.

“We are both single-minded and have our ideas about how things should be done. That is not the best mix, you need to be different. So for plenty of reasons, I had to say no.”

Shearer says there has been no fallout with Keegan and insists they remain good friends.

Keegan himself questioned whether his failure to turn up for Shearer’s testimonial in 2006 may have harmed their friendship.

But Shearer said: “Definitely not. I think there were some mixed messages through a mutual friend. But it was never a problem for me.

“In fact I really enjoyed seeing Kevin again when he came to my house and I just loved talking football with him.”

Shearer will continue to do so and has accepted an invitation to call into the club’s training ground and get involved whenever he wants. Shearer said: “Basically I am happy to be there as a friend and a sounding board if Kevin needs me.

“He has told me if I have a spare day and fancy coming down to join in training, teach the kids, or just have lunch I can — and I will. But right now that’s it. I’m not saying the door is closed for ever. Just right now there is plenty to be sorted out there and one man needs to do it and do it his way.”

Shearer admits he has been slightly bemused by the appointment of Wise as an executive director with responsibilities for transfers.

He said: “That situation is very unusual. Maybe these things happen abroad but not in this country. I’m just not sure how that is going to work.

“One thing about Kevin is he has always been his own man with his own ideas.

“They worked in spectacular fashion the last time he was here and they can do again if he is given the chance.”

After a home draw with Bolton and the double drubbing at the hands of Arsenal, some of the euphoria has died down on Tyneside.

But Shearer believes the fans should be confident and positive about the future. He said: “I was as surprised as anyone when Kevin came back. He was running his Soccer Circus business up in Glasgow and had been out of football for three years.

“But it is a great appointment because it has lifted everyone’s spirits. Okay, we haven’t scored in his first three games but there should still be excitement about the future.

“In the first game, Bolton were scrapping for their lives and played well and did we really expect to get anything from trips to Arsenal?

“For me the season starts now with Middlesbrough on Sunday. That’s a big game because we have to make sure we do not slip any further and get embroiled in a relegation scrap. It should be about consolidating this season and rebuilding in the summer in the transfer market.”

Shearer has been hurt by some suggestions that his very presence in Newcastle cast a shadow over former boss Sam Allardyce and could now be doing likewise with Keegan.

Shearer said: “This is my home for goodness sake. Was it my fault we lost a 12-point lead in 1996 or hadn’t won a trophy for 27 years before I signed too! There also seems to be this perception that I am bound to be the Newcastle manager one day. Well, that has not come from me.”

For now Shearer will continue his punditry with the BBC and his charity work, which soon includes a three-day bike ride from Newcastle to London for Sport Relief.

Shearer said: “All the time I will remain a fan of my club, but for now that is all.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article754662.ece

what a brilliant story from the paper that tells us every day that the country is swarmed with terrorists and millions of illegals. They have no journalistic credit and anything written by them is just fish and chip paper.

I havent noticed if Southampton have appointed anyone to replace Burley yet.

I would think Shearer would be high on their l;ist and his interest would certainly be there too.

Dont be surprised to see him take charge and after what will be the inevitable failure by KK (my opinion only) over the next two years, Shearer will be approached to replace him after cutting his teeth on the south coast.

I havent noticed if Southampton have appointed anyone to replace Burley yet.

I would think Shearer would be high on their l;ist and his interest would certainly be there too.

Dont be surprised to see him take charge and after what will be the inevitable failure by KK (my opinion only) over the next two years, Shearer will be approached to replace him after cutting his teeth on the south coast.

think it's the move shearer and saints should make, agreed, and it'd set him up for us in the future

as for keegans failure that will only happen if he's not given enough cash to spend...if he gets a lot he'll make us a better team for sure, he'll never get us challenging for the top four (unless he gets 100m or something) but he'll improve us and move aside for shearer i reckon

Well, I hope you are right but two things strike me immediately:

To be successful, we have to attract the right players, successful ones. Names like Carrick, Richrds Bentley etc have been mentioned but in all honesty, why would they leave their current clubs to come to us?

Secon dly, in KKs first spell in charge, there really wasnt all that much opposition to us. Things are vastly different now with a whole host of clubs have overtaken us in pursuit of the top 4. With foreign ownership, new money, huge debts and sky money coming to influence the game, those who believe that we will be up there challenging the top  4 next season will be in for a severe shock.

Most of these teams already have a base to work with, ie players in and youth academies already thriving. We dont. In all honesty, we have gone backwards since the days of Robson and we are more of a standard of a Sunderland than a Liverpool. If you disagree, look at the last dozen results or so.

I hate to say this but it could take years to get us back on track and I cannot see Ashley paying silly money in transfer fees and even more in inflated salaries to get us there quickly. I dont see Keegan as the answer either. When he was appointed, hearts have ruled heads here and we should have gone for a very good foreign coach.

Going back a second time rarely ends in success and KKs past record isnt really the envy of the world.

If Liverpool dont want Rafa, I would have him.

Well, I hope you are right but two things strike me immediately:

To be successful, we have to attract the right players, successful ones. Names like Carrick, Richrds Bentley etc have been mentioned but in all honesty, why would they leave their current clubs to come to us?

Secon dly, in KKs first spell in charge, there really wasnt all that much opposition to us. Things are vastly different now with a whole host of clubs have overtaken us in pursuit of the top 4. With foreign ownership, new money, huge debts and sky money coming to influence the game, those who believe that we will be up there challenging the top  4 next season will be in for a severe shock.

Most of these teams already have a base to work with, ie players in and youth academies already thriving. We dont. In all honesty, we have gone backwards since the days of Robson and we are more of a standard of a Sunderland than a Liverpool. If you disagree, look at the last dozen results or so.

I hate to say this but it could take years to get us back on track and I cannot see Ashley paying silly money in transfer fees and even more in inflated salaries to get us there quickly. I dont see Keegan as the answer either. When he was appointed, hearts have ruled heads here and we should have gone for a very good foreign coach.

Going back a second time rarely ends in success and KKs past record isnt really the envy of the world.

If Liverpool dont want Rafa, I would have him.

There is much in this post that I agree with - you are quite right in that NUFC is no longer the draw for players that it used to be, and I doubt that those days will return unless Ashley DOES sanction big spending on the RIGHT players ; nobody wants to see the club ripped off as it was under Shepherd.

I also agree that other clubs that were way behind have now overhauled us and it will take an almighty effort by all concerned to change this. I am frankly astonished at the over-the-top optimism and attitude of many fans who think it will all be OK just because KK is back and Ashley has money ; LOTS of Directors now have money and even against clubs like Villa or Man C we have a geographical disadvantage.

Up until the end of last season, I still thought it possible for NUFC to challenge the top 4 within a couple of years - I now do not believe this possible and we face a real fight even to construct a team capable of obtaining regular UEFA Cup football ; Allardyce proved a bigger disaster than many(including me)thought he could be and on top of the last few years of fiasco which have turned the club into a laughing stock, this has set us back by a huge amount now ; KK will be realizing just how difficult his job now is, because I honestly believe that he has had a shock by the events of the Jan window, particularly by Woodgate's refusal - I would love to be a fly on the wall of his office when he talks to Terry Mac for one....

All at the club will now be realizing that the only way for the club to make real and concrete progress in the years ahead is to build a side virtually from scratch with young players added to the odd decent purchase - we are just not going to be able to get the best ready-made stars to join NUFC when we compete with the Top 4 plus some of the wannabees....

Shearer is, in my view , quite right to take a step back from things right now - I always thought he should manage elsewhere first in order to prove himself and there is nothing in his reported interview where he has said the wrong thing in my book ; there could well be more turmoil ahead and he is quite correct in his assessment of both his and KK's personalities - I just don't think they would gel as a team as both need to be the boss ; nothing wrong with admitting that, but Shearer now needs to go and prove himself as one..

It is VITAL that we beat Boro tomorrow in order that the club can start to progress and make plans for next season ; relegation would set us back years, and maybe irreversibly.

what a brilliant story from the paper that tells us every day that the country is swarmed with terrorists and millions of illegals. They have no journalistic credit and anything written by them is just fish and chip paper.

Exactly.

I always have a little chuckle when an OP is linked to the daily hate.

Having said that in this case the thread was started by a poster who calls himself von Manstein  - a natural name for a daily heil reader O0

I'd shearer to be involved at the club, but its hardly a "massive setback" if he decides that he wants to do something else.

Find it so amusing that the media are again, making out this is a huge "snub".  So fucking what if Shearer doesn't want to be a coach, he's already stated that he wants to be a manager.  I'm sure Roy Keane would turn Fergie done if he asked him to be a coach.

Well done, Al.

He puts himself ahead of the club's interest my arrrrse!  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

perhaps a better way to look at it is he's obviously followed his own interests/instinct rather than choose the option that would have been populist?

time well tell if keegan should have followed suit

Shearer was NEVER EVER going to come in under any manager.

Ashley should now make it known that he'll never manage NUFC as long as he has control.

Rid the Club of the monkey on its back.

I agree with the first sentence, agree with the last, it's the middle one causing me the problem.  Instead of saying Shearer will never be manager while I am in control, maybe for Ashley/Mort to say that KK is the manager now and any subsequent appointment will go to a candidate who has proven managerial credentials? 

Same message but leaving the door open if Shearer wants to prove himself elsewhere first.

The club has got to stop bending over backwards to suit the career aspirations of one man. This has totally fucked us up for the last four years.

When Keegan goes, we appoint the best available candidate. Nothing more needs to be said. In fact, not even that.

Stop criticising Shearer for no apparent reason.  He said no because he obviously doesn't want his shadow (which he has no control over) over Keegan. He's a good man, a legend who made this decision for the good of this club.

Shearer Explains Keegan Snub 

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=571593

The reason why Alan Shearer turned down the chance to become Kevin Keegan's assistant at Newcastle United was his love of the club. Shearer felt it was best for the Magpies at this time to leave the bridge clear for Keegan to steer the ship.

Alan Shearer admits he thought long and hard about if and how he could help Kevin Keegan at Newcastle.  But he eventually decided that another "dominant personality" is not what the Magpies need at the moment.

And since the ex-Newcastle and England skipper spent time in talks with Keegan, fellow former international Dennis Wise has arrived at St James' Park  as part of the management team ostensibly assisting Keegan.

Shearer told The Sun: "I have not snubbed anyone or anything like that. I chatted to Kevin for four hours at my house first time. Then we had another long meeting on Monday.

"Throughout the talks, all I was thinking about was what would be best for Newcastle - not what would be best for me.

"This club has given me too much for me to turn my back at a time when I might be able to help. But I don't think I would be a help right now - and I have explained that to Kevin.

"He basically told me I could come in as his assistant or in any role I wanted, but the timing is just not right."

Shearer understands that his own status as a Tyneside icon could begin to hinder rather than help Keegan.

"Right now I think the last thing they would need is another dominant personality, another name," he reasons.

"It needs one personality driving things forward at the club - and that is Kevin Keegan. It needs to be his way, and if it is I think he can turn things round. Myself and Kevin were just too similar personalities - we are both opinionated.

"We are both single-minded and have our ideas about how things should be done. That is not the best mix - you need to be different. So for plenty of reasons, I had to say no.

"I'm not saying the door is closed for ever. Just right now there is plenty to be sorted out there - and one man needs to do it and do it his way.

"All the time I will remain a fan of my club, but for now that is all."