Current opinion on Keegan appointment?

Mr Logic
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not another Keegan topic!  :angry:  But it's really a Newcastle United topic, whose main question is about Keegan.

I've had time to think a fair bit on this and arrived at some conclusions. Firstly, my initial reaction to the news that Keegan had been appointed was not dissimilar to the news about Souness. It didn't have the same gut-dropping effect, but there was the same level of bewilderment. I just couldn't see how it was the answer. Despite myself I got caught up in the wave of optimism, and for good enough reasons.

Short term there will be a turn-around of fortunes. A feel-good factor will be generated, the team will start to play football again and we can expect some interesting & hopefully exciting players coming in. We are unlikely to lose at Pride Park, almost worth the appointment on it's own. I think with Ashleys desire for success, (and his chequebook), we can start to qualify for Europe again. But that's where it stops however I try to imagine it, winning the odd game in Europe and finishing amongst the also-rans in domestic competitions. Sure it might be exciting, but will we finally win something?

There have been enough snippets of truth peeking out from the regular diatribes in the daily presses to point at the fact that Ashley is genuine about wanting this to succeed. He has his pet projects, his babies, that he turns into winners. Other ventures may be for a fast turnover but all the signs point to Newcastle not being one of those. Newcastle is his baby now and Ashley takes care of his babies. The three recent appointments of Wise, Tony Jimenez and Jeff Vetere to me are further proofs of putting the foundations into place on which to build a successful future.

I've been a supporter since '73/74 when I attended my first game in the Leazes End. Looking back over all those years the two highlights that stick out in my memory as the happiest of times was the night we beat Barcelona and when we became the first club in the history of Champions League to qualify for the second stage after losing our first three games in the group stages. There were others of course, that's just my personal recollections. The 5-0 has lost a bit of it's gloss following the recent 6-0.  :lol: Not much really for 34 years of ups and downs. The memories will always remain though.

So can Keegan be the driving force to propel the team to success to match Ashleys dreams/vision/desire (whatever it is.) I don't believe he can, however much I wish for it. I can only hope that he is a stepping stone that will ultimately lead to that final triumph. I believe solid foundations are being built for that time.

I think the 5-0 though will always have a special place, not just in our folklore, but in folklore since The Premiership began, due to the previous season, due to both teams being the best in the country. That game will always hold a special place for not just Newcastle Utd fans, but for many down the country.

Was happy at the appointment when i first heard, then I became a bit nervous and have since settled down.

Right now, right here at this moment in NUFC history &  future, NUFC needs KK. 

He will be given time and support from every fan.

The outsiders think we were mad to appoint him but really it was a very sensible decision when you look at the whole picture.

Was excited and worried when he first took over. Head said no, heart said yes. I wont let the first 3 games have any impact on how I feel though. We were never going to instantly be transformed and Arsenal away is hardly the easiest of games! I dont really give a shit about the "yeah but spurs...." stuff either.

Massive task ahead of him, i just hope he has the bottle and the quality to pull it off.

Unhappy he and the club were not capable of brining in any 1st team players in the window, you can throw as many excuses on the floor for them to walk on, but fact is, it wasn't good enough.

Got my backing for the foreseeable.

Guest Brummiemag

Im really pleased he was appointed. I think the next few games, (including tomorrow against Boro) are going to be a struggle and it may be a while before results and performances start to improve but I think with the full backing of the owner and most importantly the full backing of the fans over the next few months, I think KK will deliver in the longer term. I think its really important we stick together, fu*ck the media, and give KK and the team our full support for the rest of the season and beyond

Guest sittingontheball

Getting Woody back in might have prolonged the big rush of optimism, but it wasn't to be. It's a shame though. Barnes might have been worth a proper bid too.

It'll take time, but KK's team selection alone against Bolton suggests things are moving in the right direction.  I don't really understand what the score is with Wise et al, but I hope its not too many cooks.

Was shocked at the appointment and then caught up in the excitement.  ATM. think he is the right man for the job for where we are and to get the fans to reconnect with the club again.  Long-term I am not so sure, but if we make progress with him and the new management structure, and are in a much better place at the end of his contract than when he took over, I would be happy with that.  The rest of the season will be tough though so the supporters need to stay onside and not get on his or the players backs.

I just hope he sees his contract out as that will mean some sort of success will have been achieved.  And there is no other manager that I would want to win something for us more than I would want Keegan to.

Things are panning out pretty much how I thought other than the Bolton game. I think it was a clever move to sack Allardyce so swiftly and decisively. This now gives Keegan a good window in which to assess the squad and make the big moves in the summer which will see us launch a serious assault for a Eoropen place for the first time since SBR was last here. That much I am confident we will achieve, and that's not to be sniffed at for starters.

Guest float one in

Words cannot decribe my elation and happiness about Keegan coming back. We probably won't win anything but it won't be for the want of trying, and its an absolutely belting feeling to know he's our leader again. It's like he said in his press conference - I know he will look after our club and do his best to achieve what we want for NUFC.

This bloke has given me some of the best memories in my life (certainly the best football-related ones) and I am absolutely ecstatic at the prospect of what the next few years might bring. As I said, we probably won't win anything - who cares? We've got a feller in there who loves the club as much as we do and that's what its all about - the love for the club, the region, the people, the experiences we share when we go to the match together. Being united, together, getting behind KK and the lads - that's what its all about and it's something we've been missing for a while.

It's what makes this club special to us - no matter what the media try to do to ridicule us and revel in the supposed soap opera that we have become, we know that there is a pure and rare love for this club that I'm not sure you can find too many places elsewhere. Look at Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal - it's all about success, winning at all costs with horrible **** of players and whingeing, graceless managers. We've had out fair share of that in recent times with ****ful managers and horrible little *****s like Dyer playing for us, but now is the time that we can stop feeling ashamed and uneasy about all this rubbish. But we've got something better than that. KK is one of us and he wants to make NUFC something for us to be proud of as much as we want to have pride in it.

Anybody who thinks this is sentimental, cliched claptrap should dig out your 92-93 season higlights video as Jonny2J has been doing, or your 'Keegan's Back' video of the 3-0 Bristol City match in 92 (first as manager), or get on Youtube and listen to his Leeds 96 Sky TV rant, or his interview on the pitch after his last match as a player... I could go on.

Supporting Newcastle United, for most of us, is something that dominates our lives. At times it's soul destroying, infuriating, and often recently its been downright boring, but we do it because it feels like we've no choice in the matter. That's just the way it is. Having KK back in charge is one of those things, like seeing a brilliant band do a great concert, or travelling to foreign places, or seeing you kids enjoying themselves, that makes life worth living. We all need to leave our cynicism at the door, forget about what the media want to portray us as, and just get behind KK. He wants the best for us.

Oh, I almost forgot, he's also the best ****ing football manager this club has ever had.

Words cannot decribe my elation and happiness about Keegan coming back. We probably won't win anything but it won't be for the want of trying, and its an absolutely belting feeling to know he's our leader again. It's like he said in his press conference - I know he will look after our club and do his best to achieve what we want for NUFC.

This bloke has given me some of the best memories in my life (certainly the best football-related ones) and I am absolutely ecstatic at the prospect of what the next few years might bring. As I said, we probably won't win anything - who cares? We've got a feller in there who loves the club as much as we do and that's what its all about - the love for the club, the region, the people, the experiences we share when we go to the match together. Being united, together, getting behind KK and the lads - that's what its all about and it's something we've been missing for a while.

It's what makes this club special to us - no matter what the media try to do to ridicule us and revel in the supposed soap opera that we have become, we know that there is a pure and rare love for this club that I'm not sure you can find too many places elsewhere. Look at Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal - it's all about success, winning at all costs with horrible **** of players and whingeing, graceless managers. We've had out fair share of that in recent times with ****ful managers and horrible little *****s like Dyer playing for us, but now is the time that we can stop feeling ashamed and uneasy about all this rubbish. But we've got something better than that. KK is one of us and he wants to make NUFC something for us to be proud of as much as we want to have pride in it.

Anybody who thinks this is sentimental, cliched claptrap should dig out your 92-93 season higlights video as Jonny2J has been doing, or your 'Keegan's Back' video of the 3-0 Bristol City match in 92 (first as manager), or get on Youtube and listen to his Leeds 96 Sky TV rant, or his interview on the pitch after his last match as a player... I could go on.

Supporting Newcastle United, for most of us, is something that dominates our lives. At times it's soul destroying, infuriating, and often recently its been downright boring, but we do it because it feels like we've no choice in the matter. That's just the way it is. Having KK back in charge is one of those things, like seeing a brilliant band do a great concert, or travelling to foreign places, or seeing you kids enjoying themselves, that makes life worth living. We all need to leave our cynicism at the door, forget about what the media want to portray us as, and just get behind KK. He wants the best for us.

Oh, I almost forgot, he's also the best ****ing football manager this club has ever had.

:clap:

Guest Brummiemag

:clap:

This sums up my feelings completely, best post I've seen on here for some time and who knows we might even win something as well!

I'm still delighted and don't expect that to change, Keegan owes this club and our fans nothing, it's us who owes him for what he's done here twice.  When the mackem chairman finished as a player he gave money to charity and everybody thought he was a top bloke, Keegan did something like that years ago when he was here as a player.  Keegan had his testimonial against Liverpool and gave all of the money raised back to the football club, he's a top person as well as a top manager and top former player.

Nothing pisses me off more than the stick he's getting because none of it is deserved, he's never done anything that I know of to bring this shit on himself.  He played the game as a top pro, I would say that he conducted himself better than Shearer who is seen by most as a good person.  He's easily the best manager we've had in my lifetime, possibly ever considering most of our past glories were delivered by a committee rather than a manager.

I’m more convinced today than I was when we appointed him that he’ll do well here again, he seems more determined than ever to give us what we want and although we haven’t won under him yet, he’s doing everything he can to take the club forwards, the football hasn’t been winning football but for most of the time since he was appointed it’s been positive football rather than the negative dross produced by Allardyce.

We all wanted to see the best manager possible appointed and although he wouldn’t have been my first choice I’m more than happy now that we’ve got him.

I’m sure he’ll be a success again because he’ll get the backing from those above to allow him to bring in players who will make a difference, roll on the summer.

If by some chance he fails this time around he can still walk away with his head held high because of what he's done here before, not that he'll fail.

I thought the Club (Ashley) had missed a glorious opportunity to move up to the level required.  The new manager should have had success written all over him. He should have either had CL under his belt or managed at the highest levels in Spain/Germany/Italy.

I had serious reservations when I heard about Keegan and I still have them now. He's a cheque book manager with good motivaional skills - but he'll be walked all over by the Fergusons and Wengers of the game.

But, I think over 18 months Keegan will 'up' the anti and move the Club forward just not sure he's got it in him to break the top 4.

Guest float one in

I'm still delighted and don't expect that to change, Keegan owes this club and our fans nothing, it's us who owes him for what he's done here twice.  When the mackem chairman finished as a player he gave money to charity and everybody thought he was a top bloke, Keegan did something like that years ago when he was here as a player.  Keegan had his testimonial against Liverpool and gave all of the money raised back to the football club, he's a top person as well as a top manager and top former player.

Nothing pisses me off more than the stick he's getting because none of it is deserved, he's never done anything that I know of to bring this s*** on himself.  He played the game as a top pro, I would say that he conducted himself better than Shearer who is seen by most as a good person.  He's easily the best manager we've had in my lifetime, possibly ever considering most of our past glories were delivered by a committee rather than a manager.

I’m more convinced today than I was when we appointed him that he’ll do well here again, he seems more determined than ever to give us what we want and although we haven’t won under him yet, he’s doing everything he can to take the club forwards, the football hasn’t been winning football but for most of the time since he was appointed it’s been positive football rather than the negative dross produced by Allardyce.

We all wanted to see the best manager possible appointed and although he wouldn’t have been my first choice I’m more than happy now that we’ve got him.

I’m sure he’ll be a success again because he’ll get the backing from those above to allow him to bring in players who will make a difference, roll on the summer.

If by some chance he fails this time around he can still walk away with his head held high because of what he's done here before, not that he'll fail.

Nice one Mick. He owes us absolutely nothing. He also doesn't think he's got anything to prove to anyone - he said in the press conference he's had other offers but couldn't be bothered. This is the only job he'd have come back for, because he loves the club. Nobody can ever doubt that.

I was deligted when he got appointed, we needed something to smile about again.

I think the reason allot of people are nervous abut him coming back is they don't want him to fail and make a mockery about his legend status.

Ok results since have been lacking to say the least, but time is needed for him to get his ideas across!

We need a win starting tomorrow!

I thought the Club (Ashley) had missed a glorious opportunity to move up to the level required.  The new manager should have had success written all over him. He should have either had CL under his belt or managed at the highest levels in Spain/Germany/Italy.

I had serious reservations when I heard about Keegan and I still have them now. He's a cheque book manager with good motivaional skills - but he'll be walked all over by the Fergusons and Wengers of the game.

But, I think over 18 months Keegan will 'up' the anti and move the Club forward just not sure he's got it in him to break the top 4.

TBF what top manager would want to come here? If KK can get us top 6 next season and the season after then surely we will be a more attractive club.

Pretty fair synopsis IMO.

Who voted "I was happy, now I wonder" based on the last few weeks then? I would suggest a long, well thought out word with yourself if that's how you voted tbh. :lol:

Who voted "I was happy, now I wonder" based on the last few weeks then? I would suggest a long, well thought out word with yourself if that's how you voted tbh. :lol:

that's how i voted. nowt to do with the last few weeks tho. more to do with the fact that the initial reaction was ambivalent, both excitement and dread. at the time the buzz of the place and excitement was at the forefront and the reservations pushed to the back of my mind as i enjoyed the whole thing. a few days later when the frenzy died down is when you begin to wonder.

that's how i voted. nowt to do with the last few weeks tho. more to do with the fact that the initial reaction was ambivalent, both excitement and dread. at the time the buzz of the place and excitement was at the forefront and the reservations pushed to the back of my mind as i enjoyed the whole thing. a few days later when the frenzy died down is when you begin to wonder.

Its why i voted for that option, nowt to do with i think after the games so far its going to go tits up or something, i actually think there were some great spells in the Arsenal games and Bolton were just cocks begging to be relegated. But i was in the pub at the time KK was appointed, i went mental, hammered a few vodka redbulls went home, hammered a few cans, celebrated and generally got swept up in the whole thing. That's died off now, and now i'm looking at things with a bit more realism, glad you put your view up first, i thought about it but couldn't be arsed with the stick of having an opinion that doesn't go with the grain.

Its why i voted for that option, nowt to do with i think after the games so far its going to go tits up or something, i actually think there were some great spells in the Arsenal games and Bolton were just cocks begging to be relegated. But i was in the pub at the time KK was appointed, i went mental, hammered a few vodka redbulls went home, hammered a few cans, celebrated and generally got swept up in the whole thing. That's died off now, and now i'm looking at things with a bit more realism, glad you put your view up first, i thought about it but couldn't be arsed with the stick of having an opinion that doesn't go with the grain.

:thup: exactly the same.

Guest float one in

One of my brothers is of this opinion, while the other is alternating between this opinion and sharing my unbridled optimism. Have had loads of "heated" discussions about this with them every time I've rang them since Keegan came back.

I honestly can't see how the club could possibly have made a better appointment. Maybe if Sam had left with us on the verge of the top 6 or top 4 I would have said, "aye, now let's get a top European coach in who'll fancy the challenge of using Allardyce's foundations and Ashley's money to break us into the Top 4 and maybe even beyond". However our situation was nowt like that, and after the last few season's of rubbish the news that KK was coming back was simply the best news I have heard for donkeys (not just football-related news either). I am still as excited now as I was on the day he came back.