Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Anyone still reckon this squad can get in the top 6.  :rolleyes:

Yes if KK would play our best player in their best positions and that they would stay fit, and pot a good system in play.

Keegan is the Messiah, but even his powers aren't enough to get this group of players into the top 6.

Truth.

the opposite point of view -

I thought we were good for a point yesterday and might even have nicked it but a draw was the least we deserved.

My mate said you didn't like Nicky Butt and although he didn't set the world alight, he's a holding midfielder, what do you want him to do? The way some people went on you'd think he deliberately scored an OG against Sunlan.

Looks like we dodged a £6m bullet, not signing Alan Smith. A waste of space as a striker and not disciplined enough to be a midfielder IMO. N'Zogbia isn't a full back but could cause some damage if you went to a back 5?

I don't know how fit Viduka is either but looks like he's on the irretrievable downward slope now. You saw the kind of football and movement Southgate wants to play now so having an immobile target up front, no matter how skillful, would be hard to fit into this pattern.

We got a bit lucky with some decisions but it evens up conceeding a penalty against you at SJP practically every season in the last 10 visits. You won't go down but we will go above you next weekend. We've got Fulham at home for Alves' debut.

I'm excited thinking what we can do with a proper striker in the team.

Shoot the ref we were robbed!! :lol: again :D

Very poor from Southgate though to set out to try and get Emre sent off, he got kicked every time he got the ball, thing is though two problems with Emre , he will in the end snap and have a go back but whillst he is playing after being kicked his mind goes off the game, he is thinking more about revenge and not the match so he starts to drift out the game. If he does not cut that out then every manager will want him kicked as offten as possible.

My mate said you didn't like Nicky Butt and although he didn't set the world alight, he's a holding midfielder, what do you want him to do?

Pass to his own players. Giving the ball to the opposition in the last 5 mins then watching them go up the other end and equalise should probably best be avoided.

My mate said you didn't like Nicky Butt and although he didn't set the world alight, he's a holding midfielder, what do you want him to do?

Pass to his own players. Giving the ball to the opposition in the last 5 mins then watching them go up the other end and equalise should probably best be avoided.

To be fair to Butt, he did okay ( not brill) until the last 5 mins when he did give it away twice very badly indeed, late on its what people remember most ..

To be fair to Butt, he did okay ( not brill) until the last 5 mins when he did give it away twice very badly indeed, late on its what people remember most ..

especially when it costs you a win.

My mate said you didn't like Nicky Butt and although he didn't set the world alight, he's a holding midfielder, what do you want him to do? The way some people went on you'd think he deliberately scored an OG against Sunlan.

Pass to his own team-mates rather than giving away possession, especially in the last 10mins when we are trying to hang on for a win.

Yep you are right about Smith, £6m for 10+ yellow cards a season isnt great value.

Taylor gets a hard time on his forum but he made two great blocks from goal bound shots today one of which I don't think Given (on current form) would have got anywhere near. There are many on here that choose to ignore any positieves in his performane and focus on any of the negatives to feed there own bias and opinion. I'm not a Taylor super fan but if you are picking faults in certain aspect you should also give a balanced opinion and give praise where it was due instead of sweeping statements about someone who puts 100% into the cause. That can't be said of all our players!

It's actually the opposite. Many people overrate him because he's a Geordie (albeit a Cockney one).

One of the blocks he made he shouldn't have had to, if he was awake and marking like he should've done in the first place.

Pass to his own team-mates rather than giving away possession, especially in the last 10mins when we are trying to hang on for a win.

Yep you are right about Smith, £6m for 10+ yellow cards a season isnt great value.

I think he's just confused between the benefit of a yellow card or goal to the side.

"Keegan is now joint second to become the next Premier League manager to be sacked alongside Reading manager Steve Coppell, with one bookmaker offernig odds of 4/1, behind Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez, the favourite at 6/4."

Is this a joke?!

Given - 4  Some good things, some bad things. Not a good performance overall.

Carr - 5  Not too bad, but christ, he's slow.

Cacapa - 5  Made a few good challenges, but got turned inside out on a number of occasions.

Taylor - 5  Not great, not terrible.

N-Zoggy - 6 Did ok today at the back, far better and more confident going forwards.

Barton - 6 - Nothing for big chunks of the game, then some times where he looked good.

Butt - 3  Shit.

Emre - 5 One good moment in the entire game. Moaned a lot for most of the rest of it.

Duff - 7  One of  his best performances I can recall for a while.

Smith - 6 Lack of particular skill from the Beasts meant that Smith's limited ability wasn't a problem.

Owen - 5 I genuinely think Li'l Mikey believes he has lost all of his pace. A shadow of a once great player, who was briefly shown with a very well taken goal.

Viduka - 4 Nothing, really. Past it.

Milner - 5 Meh.

I can agree with most of this. Think Carr was good. May be a 6. Not ready to count out Viduka quite yet.

"Keegan is now joint second to become the next Premier League manager to be sacked alongside Reading manager Steve Coppell, with one bookmaker offernig odds of 4/1, behind Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez, the favourite at 6/4."

Jesus christ

really dissapointed with the atmosphere!! its nothing like when i used to go to the games.

only started singing in 2nd half n even that was not good!! should be getting behind the team cheering them all the time!!

really dissapointed with the atmosphere!! its nothing like when i used to go to the games.

only started singing in 2nd half n even that was not good!! should be getting behind the team cheering them all the time!!

It didn't help that it was a lunchtime kick off.

Also didn't help that we were shite as shite can be in the first half, and it was on the back of two 3-0 drubbings  >:(

Where were you sat?

Where were you sat?

What you've said there sums up the atmosphere tbh. Its far too pockety imo. Perhaps the size of the ground is to fault for that.

Where were you sat?

What you've said there sums up the atmosphere tbh. Its far too pockety imo. Perhaps the size of the ground is to fault for that.

I was thinking that at the time, aye. It's so open.

The atmosphere was really good where i was, some really good stuff generated near the Boro fans who, to their credit had a decent following. They were a bunch of dickheads though. There was one bloke 'starting on me' when i was stood 50 yards away from him.

Taylor gets a hard time on his forum but he made two great blocks from goal bound shots today one of which I don't think Given (on current form) would have got anywhere near. There are many on here that choose to ignore any positieves in his performane and focus on any of the negatives to feed there own bias and opinion. I'm not a Taylor super fan but if you are picking faults in certain aspect you should also give a balanced opinion and give praise where it was due instead of sweeping statements about someone who puts 100% into the cause. That can't be said of all our players!

It's actually the opposite. Many people overrate him because he's a Geordie (albeit a Cockney one).

One of the blocks he made he shouldn't have had to, if he was awake and marking like he should've done in the first place.

And yet Faye, who has doen that sort of thing at least as much as Taylor this season, if not more, is lauded as a "beast", and a top player. Odd.

And yet Faye, who has doen that sort of thing at least as much as Taylor this season, if not more, is lauded as a "beast", and a top player. Odd.

I really don't understand your criticism of Faye, NM. You make him out to be some sort of clumsy centre-back where he's exactly the opposite imo. He's as no-nonsense as it gets.