Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Given - 4  Some good things, some bad things. Not a good performance overall.

Carr - 5  Not too bad, but christ, he's slow.

Cacapa - 5  Made a few good challenges, but got turned inside out on a number of occasions.

Taylor - 5  Not great, not terrible.

N-Zoggy - 6 Did ok today at the back, far better and more confident going forwards.

Barton - 6 - Nothing for big chunks of the game, then some times where he looked good.

Butt - 3  Shit.

Emre - 5 One good moment in the entire game. Moaned a lot for most of the rest of it.

Duff - 7  One of  his best performances I can recall for a while.

Smith - 6 Lack of particular skill from the Beasts meant that Smith's limited ability wasn't a problem.

Owen - 5 I genuinely think Li'l Mikey believes he has lost all of his pace. A shadow of a once great player, who was briefly shown with a very well taken goal.

Viduka - 4 Nothing, really. Past it.

Milner - 5 Meh.

I've just seen their goal and the Aliadiere goal. Fuck me, astonishing. Even worse than I thought for their goal and I'm sure I've seen some people on here say Aliadiere was onside! He was about three weeks off!

Notice our friends at the BBC didn't show Duff scoring either, I'd like to see that again.

I've just seen their goal and the Aliadiere goal. Fuck me, astonishing. Even worse than I thought for their goal and I'm sure I've seen some people on here say Aliadiere was onside! He was about three weeks off!

Notice our friends at the BBC didn't show Duff scoring either, I'd like to see that again.

The cameraman didn't catch Duff and the defender when the ball was played, they were too far ahead of the play.

I've just seen their goal and the Aliadiere goal. f*** me, astonishing. Even worse than I thought for their goal and I'm sure I've seen some people on here say Aliadiere was onside! He was about three weeks off!

Aye I thought the Aliadiere decision was debatable when it was shown on Sky but he was clearly off on MotD. Only good decision that green tosser made all game though.

The cameraman didn't catch Duff and the defender when the ball was played, they were too far ahead of the play.

How convenient. Looked miles on from where I was sitting, lush through ball from Charlie.

That's true Yorkie, I was just seeing thinking out loud. But, this having a DM in the middle hasn't worked well for us if the DM isn't able to pass because the other MC is just marked all the time. I don't know if Faye can do that but I really hate players out of position because it'll cost us. If Faye isn't at the back then it's either Cacapa (who is still a bit dodgy) or playing Baye in the center and thus having Carr at RB. That is why we just need players who can pass the ball. We'll be alright if we can keep possession for an extended period of time because you can't really lose a goal if you have the ball. A good comparison for this philosophy would be Arsenal (Flamini and Fabregas). Their center midfielders aren't either all-out attacking or defensive, they're able to do both (hustle and pass) and that's why it's really hard for teams to control the game against them because Arsenal always control the ball! It's a different way of winning games but with the personnel available, it also might be the best.

Faye is as much a midfielder as a defender. Bolton fans were certainly of the opinion that he was their best midfielder.

Faye is a midfielder, he said in an interview that he was a midfielder before he joined Bolton and that that's his preferred position.

The reason he played there for Bolton was Gardner got injured so they had to move Ben Haim to left back.

I was of the opinion that he should go into midfield with Cacapa and Taylor continuing their partnership, but not sure I fancy Cacapa's height up against Laursen and Carew.

only carew really as laursen will only get up for set pieces when faye would drop in aswell.

I've just seen their goal and the Aliadiere goal. f*** me, astonishing. Even worse than I thought for their goal and I'm sure I've seen some people on here say Aliadiere was onside! He was about three weeks off!

And they forgot Barton's chance and when Viduka almost scored in the 6 yard box. They are really pissing me off at the minute, i thought we were better for most of the second half but they say Boro deserved it? idiots.

How convenient. Looked miles on from where I was sitting, lush through ball from Charlie.

looked off from where i was but maybe cos he ran round the back of the defender.

like to see it again

yeah he looked on to me aswell but i sent me pa (who was watching on sky) a text asking and he said he was a 'fraction' off

yeah he looked on to me aswell but i sent me pa (who was watching on sky) a text asking and he said he was a 'fraction' off

Replay was shown on Sky. Definately a fraction offside when Zog played the ball.

Anyone still reckon this squad can get in the top 6.  :rolleyes:

Yes if KK would play our best player in their best positions and that they would stay fit, and pot a good system in play.

Keegan is the Messiah, but even his powers aren't enough to get this group of players into the top 6.

looked off from where i was but maybe cos he ran round the back of the defender.

like to see it again

I saw it, was a perfectly good goal. Refs and linesmen are supposed to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker so to talk about being 'a fraction offside' is going against the whole point.

Replay was shown on Sky. Definately a fraction offside when Zog played the ball.

I think, on the whole, we can all accept these very marginal kind of decisions. The rule is a complete arse at the minute and no doubt the officials are struggling as much as us to interpret them.

I saw a stinker at Man City yesterday where the ball was played through, the lad that moved first was flagged offside but then he immediately stopped and Vassell came running from no where to get the ball free on goal. By the law, Vassell was on side but the ref had already stopped the play.

Its the decisions like Owens first disallowed goal that are the ones that send fans into a complete rage. Fucking truly awful decision. I dont even think the boro players complained in those first few moments before everyone realised he had dis-allowed it.

First talking about the game, saying that we were unlucky not to get away with three points. Said that he couldn't see anything wrong with Owens goal and that theirs looked dodgy.

Then on about that Barton did a good job covering the right hand side in the first half. He kept Downing out of the game completely, but he wasn't all too involved. Could say that he got three quarters of his game right, not amazing, but good. When he moved into the middle Barton did what Barton does best.

Beye is back in Newcastle, and might have watched the game, Faye will be back Monday or Tuesday (can't remember) and both will definitely be back for the Villa game.

That's about it, can't be arsed watching it again, so might've missed out on a point or two

First talking about the game, saying that we were unlucky not to get away with three points. Said that he couldn't see anything wrong with Owens goal and that theirs looked dodgy.

Then on about that Barton did a good job covering the right hand side in the first half. He kept Downing out of the game completely, but he wasn't all too involved. Could say that he got three quarters of his game right, not amazing, but good. When he moved into the middle Barton did what Barton does best.

Beye is back in Newcastle, and might have watched the game, Faye will be back Monday or Tuesday (can't remember) and both will definitely be back for the Villa game.

That's about it, can't be arsed watching it again, so might've missed out on a point or two

Thats ok mate. Cheers

From that it sounds like he is a bit upbeat about it.

Hope he has already sorted Beye and Faye's starting positions for Saturday

disagree with him...boro had as many if not more clear chances than us....downing was quiet because he isn't really very good. barton was largely anon.

Guest neesy111

if u watched the MOTD highlights, u will see that charlie get's caught a lot from going forward, massive amounts of space for boro's RW

if u watched the MOTD highlights, u will see that charlie get's caught a lot from going forward, massive amounts of space for boro's RW

His problem was, on a few occassions, he went on some good penetrating runs but instead of playing a decent pass, he just kept on running straight ahead... and running into a boro defender who then took the ball off him and shifted it forward quickly to leave him stranded.

If only some of our choice of passes today had been better we could have turned some promising moves into decent chances. Was nearly there but we need to get the players to start thinking better

Guest wuthering ballsack

Don't highlights to know that. Hopefully Enrique will slot straight back in when he's fit.

You couldn't see it on the replay shown on Sky, commentators seemed to think it was off though.

Guest thommo78

Taylor gets a hard time on his forum but he made two great blocks from goal bound shots today one of which I don't think Given (on current form) would have got anywhere near. There are many on here that choose to ignore any positieves in his performane and focus on any of the negatives to feed there own bias and opinion. I'm not a Taylor super fan but if you are picking faults in certain aspect you should also give a balanced opinion and give praise where it was due instead of sweeping statements about someone who puts 100% into the cause. That can't be said of all our players!