Nicky Butt your time is up

TRon

If Middlesborough's midfielders are too strong and fast for Butt to keep pace, he is liable to be destroyed by Man U and Villa. Get Faye in there till the Summer then we need a quality holding midfielder.

Emre isn't strong or fast either, but at least he's cute enough to hold the ball and pass well under pressure. Butt is a liability with his lack of composure and as he's not quick enough to get his foot in he's not much use as a ball winner either. The clear weak link in the side today and one of the reasons the midfield can't function.

Let's not forget Boateng didn't play today.

When will this guy get dropped?

Mr. ex ManU experienced guy. To hell with it man. I almost hurt myself today lamenting his awful play.

Bloody worthless player.

While we're at it lets be honest, hypothetically if you could rebuild the team in one transfer window who would you actually hold on to? N'Zogbia. possibly Enrique, Given and at a push Taylor? The rest could hit the road for me...

I genuinely believe we'd be better off playing with ten men than with Butt in the team. Every time he gets the ball he attempts a 'Hollywood pass' that invariably goes straight to an opposition player or out of play. It's like having a member of the opposing team wearing black and white.

While we're at it lets be honest, hypothetically if you could rebuild the team in one transfer window who would you actually hold on to? N'Zogbia. possibly Enrique, Given and at a push Taylor? The rest could hit the road for me...

Given out too.

He is the worst kicker of the ball on planet Earth.

If Middlesborough's midfielders are too strong and fast for Butt to keep pace, he is liable to be destroyed by Man U and Villa. Get Faye in there till the Summer then we need a quality holding midfielder.

Happy to see you're still not doling out lectures on why it would have been silly to buy in the Jan window.

Can be summed up quite easilly by the realisation that Alex Ferguson doesn't sell players that still have something to contribute.

Butt might have been a good player for perennial promotion/relegation candidates ever moving between two divisions.

Keep Barton, Zoggy, Faye, Beye, Enrique, Taylor, Cacapa, Martins, Given, Owen, possibly Duff and Emre.

Happy to see you're still not doling out lectures on why it would have been silly to buy in the Jan window.

I didn't lecture anybody, just said that we shouldn't buy unless we can get the right players. No point in buying Robbie Savage to replace Butt is there?

I genuinely believe we'd be better off playing with ten men than with Butt in the team. Every time he gets the ball he attempts a 'Hollywood pass' that invariably goes straight to an opposition player or out of play. It's like having a member of the opposing team wearing black and white.

Aye, in his day perhaps these passes reached the likes of cantona and RVN.

This was the fear at the start of the season for some of us. Butt needed to be phased out because he was aging and his distribution was already poor at the time. Yet nothing was done. Why cant experienced professionals getting paid millions see something that is so fucking obvious? Its not rocket science, its not something that was hidden away, this isnt a view made from the convenience of hindsight, it was plain as day that Butt had reached the limits of his usefulness, and that a replacement was going to be needed this season because only a slight slowdown in his legs would see his game go downhill.

Why the hell did we extend his contract anyway? Should have waited till the end of the season, made him play for the new contract, because no matter how good his form is, Butt is not capable of getting a move to a bigger or better club than ours. In fact, hes lucky to be here, because clubs were supposed to be competing with would never have him anywhere near the first team.

To think Diarra could have replaced Butt in the team.

It is absolutely inexcusable for Butt to be in this team.

Are managers scared to drop him because he is a senior player?

You had freakin' Allardyce talking about him being our best and most consistent player this season!

WHY?!!!

I didn't lecture anybody, just said that we shouldn't buy unless we can get the right players. No point in buying Robbie Savage to replace Butt is there?

Nobody mentioned Savage.

FOI it is alaways difficult to get good players, you have to show ambition and make financial commitments. You make it even moredifficult for yourself if you finish 4th bottom of the league or infact get relegated. KK himself said we could have had 4/5 players, clearly it's his call. But IMO we really should have tried for an alterneate central midfielder...Time will tell.

we need a carrick-type who can play as a defensive midfielder but also start off our attacks and dictate tempo. it should come as no suprise that butt has been poor this season, this is the same player who was a part of the birmingham team that got relegated and he's only gotten worse since then. it is yet another major position for which we have to go out and buy a player in the summer. pity we didnt get one or two transfers out of the way in January as we'll have to do everything at once this summer, or failing that end up with partial and inadequate rebuilding.