Allardyce on SKY today

Big Geordie

He said something about missing out on hi8s 1st choice targets in defence. He felt that had he been given the go-ahead then these players would have signed, not surprisingly when pressed on who these players were he refused to comment, said they were proven Premiership players though.

he didn't blame shearer, he said agitators in the press and ex-players, so i'm thinking Alan Oliver and Malcolm McDonald and that band of cohorts. he also said in retrospect he tried to be too radical too early, and tried to teach the players new things too quickly, instead of being more pragmatic and taking his time. i said that ages ago and everyone shot me down for it!  :rolleyes:

Actually I think Sam said something about it being Souness who had poured scorn on Allardyce's dismal long-ball punting tactics and Sam had denied ever playing that at Newcastle, mainly because he diodn't have Kevin Davies up front. :nope:

I somehow managed to sit through his rant pre-match but soon turned it off afterwards. He basic reply was he didnt have the funds he had been promised from freddy when mike and mort came in so he was forced to buy 'good' players rather than 'premiership players'. He went on to say that newcastle were in the bottom 5 premiership clubs for summer spending and that he got cacapa for FREE!

He didnt have a reponse to why his 10 players brought in havnt performed but insisted it wasnt his fault although he may have brought in too many ideas to a new squad. It almost appeared that he was happy at drawing / losing the easier ties as long as the team performaned well against the big 4/5. Most of what he said was to the same format as the papers and SKY didnt help the matter whatsoever.

However, what he said after the game about refereeing decisions not being levelled up throughout the season was spot on but I'll save that for another thread.

He refused to take any blame at all.  He said there were three groups of people to blame, the owner/Chairman, the players and the press.  He also claimed that he was only branded a long ball merchant because he used that kind of tactic to beat "the big teams".  So obviously the likes of Derby, Sunderland and Wigan are what he considered big teams...

He did make a few good points.  For instance when asked if he found it strange to have a young up and coming manager like Wise in a role of such massive importance as director of Football he said that people were getting too hung up on the title.  That just because his title is director that doesn't mean he's overseeing everything nor does it mean he's above Keegan.  He also said that while at Bolton they had kept all stats over the years and proven that decisions by refs don't even themselves out for certain teams..

If he wasn't given enough to spend, and was prevented from signing certain players, why didn't he come out and say it during his tenure?

So, presumably, he knew he had an uphill battle before the season started.

The honourable thing would have been to come out and say 'Back me or sack me', but instead he hung on like a clagnut for his settlement.

Guest Insane Psycho

http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Underdog/Chumley_300.gif

daaaaaaaaaa ummm daaaaa aaaa waaaa daaaaaaaa .. chewing gum ?

that's pretty much what he said

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3105907,00.html

Big Sam still 'smarting' after axe

Former Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admits he is still "smarting" over his departure from the club and feel he was not given a fair chance.

Allardyce parted company with the Magpies in January after just eight months in charge following a poor start to the season.

But Allardyce, who was appointed by former chairman Freddy Shepherd before last summer's takeover, claims he was not given the backing he had been expecting when he took the job.

"I am smarting," Allardyce told Sky Sports. "I think that for me (given) the timing, and the few games I had, it was a massive shock when they said they were going to make a change.

"At the start of the season we had a short window with the new owners to work with. We had not as much money as I expected.

"I didn't really come for that, I came to spend big money, which is what Freddy did - he was obviously the man that employed me.

"That was obviously the bottom line to make life difficult at some stage.

"I explained that to the new owners and said somewhere down the line we'd get a bit of stick, and they haven't been able to withstand that by the looks of it. I'm a casualty of that.

"I don't think in any way, looking back, any of that was my fault.

"At the time I considered myself to have a chance but since I've left things have been said that I was never their man."

Allardyce firmly believes he could have proved a successful Newcastle manager had the circumstances been different.

The 53-year-old is proud of his managerial record with clubs such as Blackpool, Notts County and particularly Bolton, and hopes his ill-fated spell at St James' Park has not tarnished that.

He added: "You make the right decisions by your own track record. I think I've made the right decisions over the last 16 years by the clubs I've been at, building my reputation.

"That's the disappointing thing for me. I hope it hasn't damaged my reputation."

Guest marky555

He also stated that,  "When I was at Bolton, we kept information and statistics on the refereeing decisions that had gone against us"

Typical of his approach, what benefit does that have? Apart from being able to reel off these 'stats' in the form of excuses to back his team up?

Can't see any benefit whatsoever of shit like that. We all know Ref's can get it wrong but you just have to get on with it not make fucking notes about it.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3105907,00.html

Big Sam still 'smarting' after axe

Former Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admits he is still "smarting" over his departure from the club and feel he was not given a fair chance.

Allardyce parted company with the Magpies in January after just eight months in charge following a poor start to the season.

But Allardyce, who was appointed by former chairman Freddy Shepherd before last summer's takeover, claims he was not given the backing he had been expecting when he took the job.

"I am smarting," Allardyce told Sky Sports. "I think that for me (given) the timing, and the few games I had, it was a massive shock when they said they were going to make a change.

"At the start of the season we had a short window with the new owners to work with. We had not as much money as I expected.

"I didn't really come for that, I came to spend big money, which is what Freddy did - he was obviously the man that employed me.

"That was obviously the bottom line to make life difficult at some stage.

"I explained that to the new owners and said somewhere down the line we'd get a bit of stick, and they haven't been able to withstand that by the looks of it. I'm a casualty of that.

"I don't think in any way, looking back, any of that was my fault.

"At the time I considered myself to have a chance but since I've left things have been said that I was never their man."

Allardyce firmly believes he could have proved a successful Newcastle manager had the circumstances been different.

The 53-year-old is proud of his managerial record with clubs such as Blackpool, Notts County and particularly Bolton, and hopes his ill-fated spell at St James' Park has not tarnished that.

He added: "You make the right decisions by your own track record. I think I've made the right decisions over the last 16 years by the clubs I've been at, building my reputation.

"That's the disappointing thing for me. I hope it hasn't damaged my reputation."

Oh No, not his reputation! :weep: