The Fans: "Everyone Hates Newcastle United" - the Victimology Thread

GM

So...we've got a thread on how the media hate us and are waging a media war against the Toon Army and all things Geordie and North-Eastern...and now we have one on referees, speculating how there's some sort of conspiracy against us...and I can't help wondering if there's more than just a little bit of a persecution complex building up here amongst the fanbase...

Maybe my own despondency about our current situation is atypical of the majority view - maybe there really is a conspiracy against Newcastle United...but I doubt it somehow. I think this prevailing victim mentality may also not be altogether healthy for the good and the future of the club and the team.

Just a thought from a sour old b****** before bedtime...

So...we've got a thread on how the media hate us and are waging a media war against the Toon Army and all things Geordie and North-Eastern...and now we have one on referees, speculating how there's some sort of conspiracy against us...and I can't help wondering if there's more than just a little bit of a persecution complex building up here amongst the fanbase...

Maybe my own despondency about our current situation is atypical of the majority view - maybe there really is a conspiracy against Newcastle United...but I doubt it somehow. I think this prevailing victim mentality may also not be altogether healthy for the good and the future of the club and the team.

Just a though from a sour old b****** before bedtime...

You, sir, are a big dollop of wisdom

Well said

If it brings us together, a 'f*** you all' attitude might actually help us.

If.

One of the biggest words in the footballing language.

Why are we so desperate for everyone to love us?

If.

we arent. its a reaction to everyone taking the piss for no good reason.

If.

Maybe because we fell for the hype of being everyone's 2nd favourite team in the mid-90s? Maybe for the same reason people crave fame and fortune?

You could be onto something here GM, I think we're f****** s****.

Deep down I think we all think that we're fucking shite. We are all embroiled in a massively self-indulgent bout of self-flaggelation and self-hatred which is perfectly natural for anyone who's been subjected to years of vile sexual abuse, buggery and torture at the hands of Shepherd, Souness and Allardyce.

Fuck it. Ashley should wheel out a load of hairshirts made up like NUFC strips. Now I bet they'd sell like fucking hot cakes.

I think we deserve a lot of what we get but I'd also say that some (not all) people have a bit of a complex against us.

To cut it short.

People recognize that it's a special club, and quite a few in fact have a rather unexplainable affinity towards it. I was sat at the pub today watching the match with a few friends (Man U, Liverpool, Everton and Preston fans), and all were willing wor lot to win. Could have well left the pub before full time, as we'd just finished a sunday league game and were on the post-match piss up. All stayed til the final whistle.

When I ask them why they give a fuck about Newcastle, they all just shrug and say....we just do.

Great post, i cant help but think that it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. There have been some ridiculous articles written over the course of the past 2 or 3 weeks which have been desigined to do nothing but antagonzie a region and its people. It has created an us versus them mentality which needs to be address in the best possible way which is to ignore it. Unfortunately i think the threads created do nothing but relay those antagonistic views and also induce  this victim mentality which is so vitriol to the club.

People loves conspiracy and drama... that's why... it's like mindset nowadays...

The recent press has been both shite and unwarranted, half of what they print is baseless crap that one or two have put into print and the rest are just following suit.

I've never known the type of onslaught which we've been subjected to this season.  The bastards who were largely responsible for Allardyce getting the sack by creating unrest then turned on the club for sacking him, they're shits of the highest order.

The knives were out for Allardyce and as soon as they got the response that they were trying to engineer they turned on the fans and club, bunch of wankers.

As for the ref's, they are as bad for most teams as they are for us.

This season, there's barely been a morning that's gone by without a vitriolic article penned out of pure hatred by someone in the national press.

Prior to this season, I'd probably have agreed with you that every club thinks they get a rough deal, but not anymore. As far as the press goes, from our region right down to Fleet Street, the knives are well and truly out and they will say or print anything to get their way, which is Keegan out, Ashley gone and the thick Geordies having to accept that their deluded "big" club can never compete with the really great clubs in this country like Spurs and West Ham.

Fuck 'em.

It's not just the negativity and lies, some of them are trying to change history, we've never won a thing and are getting and have always had poor gates.  Some of the shite articles have talked about our past in one paragraph then spent the next one telling us it never happened.

:suicide:

We'll never be bad as the dippers.

God was listening to 606 on Sat evening and they were complaining about how bad they were in the first half and how it's a depressing time!

Fuck sake they won 3 nowt!  Imagine if they were in our position? Mass suicide me thinks.

This season, there's barely been a morning that's gone by without a vitriolic article penned out of pure hatred by someone in the national press.

Prior to this season, I'd probably have agreed with you that every club thinks they get a rough deal, but not anymore. As far as the press goes, from our region right down to Fleet Street, the knives are well and truly out and they will say or print anything to get their way, which is Keegan out, Ashley gone and the thick Geordies having to accept that their deluded "big" club can never compete with the really great clubs in this country like Spurs and West Ham.

Fuck 'em.

Seconded.

Fuck 'em.

Seconded.

Thirded.

When Keegan got the job, there were days of fawning, blanket coverage of it, almost all of it positive.

There have been a few bitchy articles of late, but I do think you're blowing it up out of proportion a little.

Every club's fans think the media hates them - witness the "why are we always last on MOTD, the BBC hates us" kind of argument you get everywhere.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter, KK et al just have to do what they think they have to do to sort things out, what other people think really doesn't matter.