United we stand

Lowndsy

My mate who's a Liverpool has this to say:

Standing at the game is not illegal. It never has been, the clubs themselves banned it.

Liverpool from this season have officially/unofficially allocated 1892 seats at the back of the Kop as a safe standing area. In that fans that are there know the rules and will behave themselves and the stewards wont interfere when we stand.

Officially its a 'singing area' - i think they were warey about declaring it a standing area.

we have had loads of our allocations cut back this year (city, boro, toon) because of standing by our fans at last year's match....

I think Man City have a similar singing section.

I'd love a standing section at SJP. Makes the game much more enjoyable for me personally standing up.

I just take it that we have to sit at home games, and feel like a right tit when i sing becuase there is just loads of geeks sitting around where i do.

As long as they don't put us somewhere shit in the ground, i'd happily move my season ticket to there.

I wouldnt say Manu's away support are glory hunters. They probably have the best away following in the league.

Got to disagree mate. I've seen quite a few sides come to SJP park and Man U are not one of the best. Liverpool are canny but the best i've seen was NAC Breda (obviously not from this league).

5-0 down and singing "always look on the bright side of life".

agreed, they were top class.

So were West Brom in the league cup a few years ago, putting the great Aston Villa, their bigger neighbours, to shame

I will never, ever, forget the jumped up gloryseekers all buggering off with half an hour left of that 5-0 win. Puts the whole lot of them into context. Couldn't take a single defeat, then stand taking the piss out of other fans up and down the country, and preaching to people that they are self appointed representatives of football fans.

Despise them with a vengeance.

The thing with Man U's away following is that when they are winning (which is 90% of the time) they sing their hearts out and have an amazing array of songs, but when they are losing they are as quiet as mice and on the odd occasion that things go really tits up and they get a hiding they leave quicker than a cat up a drainpipe.

That's all very well but it was someone off Toon ultras who suggested it all in the first place. So it wasn't them who thought they would be the spokespeople for fans up and down the country.

well they are stupid for targetting the gloryseekers as their main allies then

The thing with Man U's away following is that when they are winning (which is 90% of the time) they sing their hearts out and have an amazing array of songs, but when they are losing they are as quiet as mice and on the odd occasion that things go really tits up and they get a hiding they leave quicker than a cat up a drainpipe.

precisely.

Away games are all about going for a fun drink, song and dance. Standing up is part of matchday tradition, and more of the 'working class' attend away games, as well as young'uns. If you go to an away game and don't want to stand just don't go, only morons sit at away games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you're saying heza09 is that if you're elderly,infirm,disabled or a child you've no right to watch the Toon away because the "real" fans stand throughout the game, making it impossible for you to see.

Those older ones in particular were watching the Toon long before you. They're not morons, but people who should have the right to follow the team they've loved for years.

I don't mind standing. I'm tall enough and able bodied. I like the fun,drink,singing as much as anyone. Just occasionally i'll take the bairn to an away game and it would be nice to have a view of the match. As i've previously pointed out, if kids can't go Today then who'll be the fans of the future?

I'm all for safe standing, but until it happens, try and respect the people who physically can't/don't want to stand at a match they've paid a fortune to see.

Away games are all about going for a fun drink, song and dance. Standing up is part of matchday tradition, and more of the 'working class' attend away games, as well as young'uns. If you go to an away game and don't want to stand just don't go, only morons sit at away games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you're saying heza09 is that if you're elderly,infirm,disabled or a child you've no right to watch the Toon away because the "real" fans stand throughout the game, making it impossible for you to see.

Those older ones in particular were watching the Toon long before you. They're not morons, but people who should have the right to follow the team they've loved for years.

I don't mind standing. I'm tall enough and able bodied. I like the fun,drink,singing as much as anyone. Just occasionally i'll take the bairn to an away game and it would be nice to have a view of the match. As i've previously pointed out, if kids can't go Today then who'll be the fans of the future?

I'm all for safe standing, but until it happens, try and respect the people who physically can't/don't want to stand at a match they've paid a fortune to see.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that mate.

When i was at Chelsea, i saw the old lady from the backpage ( been going ever since i have and well before probably. )

She was trying to stand up and see but just couldn't. Felt really sorry for her, so in a way, elderly people should have a right to see.

Not that i want to sit at away games, it's just a point against standing.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that mate.

When i was at Chelsea, i saw the old lady from the backpage ( been going ever since i have and well before probably. )

She was trying to stand up and see but just couldn't. Felt really sorry for her, so in a way, elderly people should have a right to see.

Not that i want to sit at away games, it's just a point against standing.

You've hit the nail on the head Jamie. In this day and age there's no reason why a modern stadium should not be able to cater safely for people who want to sit and people who want to stand.

Get your kid to stand on the chair.  I've been going to away games since i was 6, and was small for my age most of the time, but never had a problem standing on my chair.  Sometimes i couldn't see perfectly but pretty well, and always liked standing.

Standing should still be a part of the football experience. It can be done in Germany (and safely), so why not here ? Basically because no government will nail itself to changing things because of the Taylor Report and the outcry that would occur. As an ex Gallowgate Ender (Corner, then Scoreboard) - going to the match and standing every with the same set of lads was class. Something that many of the younger fans won't have experienced. The fact is that all-seater stadia are a massive reason as to why the atmosphere has been killed at many PL grounds.

As for the Mancs - I don't have a lot of time for them. They seem to seek support from others and then pour scorn just as quickly when it suits.

Get your kid to stand on the chair.  I've been going to away games since i was 6, and was small for my age most of the time, but never had a problem standing on my chair.  Sometimes i couldn't see perfectly but pretty well, and always liked standing.

She does stand on a chair. Unfortunately she's been asked to get down by stewards not brave enough to challenge anyone else.

At Blackburn for example.

Why should she stand on a chair? She wants to sit in it.

Oh, and because she's female, she's probably got even less right to see an away game i suppose.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

My sister went to the Villa game a few years ago when we won 1-0.  She was only about 10 at the time.  Fucking loved it.  Oh, forgot to mention, she stood on a chair the entire game.

Taken from TRUE FAITH

We know football grounds are used for rock concerts etc and fans stand .. in fact they dance next to their seats and some are more than a bit off their heads i.e. Oasis at Maine Road for example. But that's okay - that's not illegal? It just doesn't make any sense. We've been contacted by the young'uns in the Toon Ultras (I know, 'kin daft name but they are doing their best) about some joint protest march with some Man Utd fans from the Central Station to SJP on Saturday before the match. May I say on behalf of true faith we support their campaign 100% and the cut in their allocation appals us. We'd hope that both sets of supporters on the march get the support of all Mags in the city centre on Saturday and the Man Utd fans participating are treated with respect.

TAKEN FROM SUNDAY SUN

Supporters plan St James's Park Protest

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newc ... ethod=full%

26objectid=20429205%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Newcastle fans are planning to stage a join demonstration with their Manchester United counterparts in protest at efforts to force them sit during matches.

The red devisl travelling contingent are well known for standing throught away games. And that prospect has had local safety authorities threatening to force Newcastle to cut ticket allocations for visiting teams AND remove seats currently filled by home fans adjoining the away end.

Both clubs have appealed to supported to stay seated during Saturdays premier league clash or risk the possibility of the magpies safety advisory group - chaired by newcastle city council - withdrawing st james parks safety certificate.

But while united chairman chris mort is willing to discuss the issue of safe standing with the fans , they are set to make their sand - aling side rival Man U fans on saturday.

And the protests do not end there , football fans are invited to the meeting at gateshead stadium on tuesday night to discuss action against premier leagues plans to play games abroad.

You know fans have had a bad deal when supporters are prepared to put aside traditional rivalries and stand shoulder to shoulder against a common foe said jeremy robinson of the football supporters federation who is organsing the NO TO GAME 39 summit.

Not only will newcastle fans stand side by side with man u fans at SJP next week over the issue of persistant standing , but perhaps even more significantly , at gateshead on tuesday fans will suspend some bitterness for the unveling of the no to game 30 banner. The meeting starts at 7:30pm.

But fantastic that.

Guest RodrigoPalacio
• The area on Level 1 behind the goal at the La Trobe Street end is reinstated to Victory General Admission ticket holders. This area and the area on Level 1 behind the goal at the Bourke Street end ("North Terrace") will be designated standing areas.

Fucking good on you!  Stickin' it to the man!

I prefer to stand at football matches, and I'd always choose to go into the terraces to watch sell out games if the option is there.

I don't like standing when there are allocated seats though.

There is the whole sit down stand up fiasco that has you going up at crucial moments, only whatever is often missed as the people in front stood up before you did, and then its an annoying fuss to sit down if you've travelled with a bag and coat to a stadium with limited space.

Then if its standing the whole way through, the fact that all the seats have been packed so close together, and the whole square nature of the stadium means that a corner of the pitch is completely obscured, and you can't move anywhere to do anything about it.

I'm 5'10", but the only sell-out stadium I've been too where I've been sat in the back corner of a stand and been able to see as much of the action as I've wanted, and stood the whole game is Wembley, and that's because the seats have enough room in front of them to move so that you can see between the few heads in front, and I think the bowl shape of the stadium also helps.

If there were terraces, there would be no seat allocation, so people can choose to be either where the best atmosphere is, or be where they can see the game, but unless clubs want to cut attendances by removing every other seat, standing in seated areas is a no-no for me.