Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest Heneage

I just never know. Times he looks assured and what have you, other times hes just a big Senegalese headless chicken.

Guest teepee

dunne has looked a lot better than woodgate this season.

not that i dont rate woody, but a lot of people (actually including myself) seems to think he is the only player who can do the job, which simply cannot be true.

personally i wouldn't mind staying with taylor and faye as a central pairing for next season. there are other areas of the team we need to focus on first....

The current back five (Harper, Enrique, Faye, Taylor, Beye) have shown over the final part of the season that if the rest of the team is playing well, they are solid enough. Also, look at the shite we frequently had at the back under Robson.

I'd be chuffed if we got Dunne in, and we need some cover for the fullbacks, but I won't be disappointed if we don't make wholesale changes at the back.

We've finally got a settled defence that can do the job - spend the money where we're woefully inadequate.

The current back four (Enrique, Faye, Taylor, Beye) have shown over the final  part of the season that if the rest of the team is playing well, they are solid enough. Also look at the shite we frequently had at the back under Robson.

I'd be chuffed if we got Dunne in, and we need some cover for the fullbacks, but I won't be disappointed if we don't make wholesale changes at the back.

We've finally got a settled defence that can do the job - spend the money where we're woefully inadequate.

The lack of depth at the back is a concern though, but I do agree with the sentiment.

Most people here seems to have the idea of changing the majority of the current squad we have.

My thoughts are that if we make wholesale drastic changes, will the players be able to gel in time for the start of next season?

Maybe we should just look forward to changing a few of the first team players, get rid of a few black sheeps, bring in a few more squad players for depth and build on the current momentum we have. After all, it takes a while to build up team spirit, bonding and understanding.

The current back five (Harper, Enrique, Faye, Taylor, Beye) have shown over the final part of the season that if the rest of the team is playing well, they are solid enough. Also, look at the shite we frequently had at the back under Robson.

I disagree Our defense DOES need looking at.  To conceed an average of 1.71 goals a game in the league (total 65) is an absolute joke, settled or not.  If we are trully aiming for top 5, we need two new centre backs, with Faye and Taylor as cover.  Look at 5th to 7th below and the stats of the teams we are aiming for:

Everton - .86 a game (total 33)

Villa - 1.34 (51)

Blackburn 1.26 (48)

I agree the back for are settled but they are NOT doing the job.  I appreciate this has alot to do with the whole team but none the less, changes are needed IMHO.

I disagree Our defense DOES need looking at.  To conceed an average of 1.71 goals a game in the league (total 65) is an absolute joke, settled or not.  If we are trully aiming for top 5, we need two new centre backs, with Faye and Taylor as cover.  Look at 5th to 7th below and the stats of the teams we are aiming for:

Villa - 1.34 (51)

Blackburn 1.26 (48)

I agree the back for are settled but they are NOT doing the job.  I appreciate this has alot to do with the whole team but none the less, changes are needed IMHO.

The problem was how we defended as a team prior to the switch to 433. Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand and Brown would leak just as many goals if they had what our defenders had in front of them.

Guest alex

I think to say those four would have leaked as many is a slight exaggeration but your point is spot on.

this is a stupid rumur but tottenham and newcastle have been linked with galatasaray winger arda turan ( why are they always liked with the same players :p)

Villa - 1.34 (51)

Blackburn 1.26 (48)

The problem was how we defended as a team prior to the switch to 433. Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand and Brown would leak just as many goals if they had what our defenders had in front of them.

The 433 is a problem as well I think against the better teams, we need a squad that can change between the two because over a season, we are still going to get fucked over by the better teams if we do not change the defense with the current setup (which seem favoured by Keegan and the players).

Villa - 1.34 (51)

Blackburn 1.26 (48)

The 433 is a problem as well I think against the better teams, we need a squad that can change between the two because over a season, we are still going to get fucked over by the better teams if we do not change the defense with the current setup (which seem favoured by Keegan and the players).

It needs tweaking, not digging up.

Griffin (Derby Reserve), O'Brien (Bolton squad player), Bramble (maligned Wigan defender) and Bernard (free agent in his 20s) kept a clean sheet against Juventus in the champions League thanks to the performance of the players in front. If we can get better midfielders and strikers who can help us defend as a team whern off the ball, the defence is not an issue anymore.

I agree its looking alot better (against the shit teams), I just dont think it is good enough to get us upto 5th if we repeat some of the heavy defeats we have this season.  We will score one more than you in todays game does not work.

I think we should bring in a couple of better defenders (CD) and keep what we have.  Without Taylor or Faye playing we have been even worse this season, logic says we need two players as good if not better than them to ensure we have a consistent defense over a season.

Guest NorthernSoul

Yea, spot on! Was just about to say.... If we lost a centre half we'd be up the creek!

That's why I think Richard Dunne would be a sensible move

Defence hasn't been bad lately. Would look a LOT better with a good replacement for Butt, someone who can really get around. Wouldn't be averse to a new CB but not at the expense of a replacement for Geremi, Milner and Viduka.

Option 1) Spend a good percentage of our transfer budget on a defense and a good number of younger players with potential to compliment the rest of the squad we already have?

Option 2) Ignore the defense on the strength of a few 'improved performances' and spend all the money on the midfield and a player to replace duke?

Option 1 for me.

They always say build your defence from the front man so id go for option2.

Simple fact is that when we concede possession and put ourselves under pressure - ala allardyce we concede plenty of goals because our defence isnt good enough but if we retain possession and try to limit the pressure ala keegan on our defence our defence looks alot better.

Id say build an attacking unit capable of putting the squeeze on most teams and we'll concede half as many goals as we did this season. A new defender to compliment Faye would be nice as well - the more i think aboutit the more Woodgate would of been perfect for us.

To be fair I never said 'ignore the defence'. If Dunne is available, get him in, for example.

What I mean is the focus and attention should be more on sorting out the bits of the team/squad that are complete gash. As of now, the defence doesn't come into that category when compared against the midfield.

To be fair I never said 'ignore the defence'. If Dunne is available, get him in, for example.

What I mean is the focus and attention should be more on sorting out the bits of the team/squad that are complete gash. As of now, the defence doesn't come into that category when compared against the midfield.

You're right.

I wouldn't complain at going into next season with the current back-four as starters, but I can't say the same about at least 3 of the other positions on the park (Butt, Geremi and Viduka - who's crocked anyway, so make that Smith/Carroll.... :undecided:).

However, like you also said, we've got absolutely zero cover for either full-back and Edgar/Cacapa don't exactly fill me with confidence as pertains back-up to Taylor and Faye. Diatta - well who knows on him?

We definitely need another left-back if Zoggy goes (probably do anyway), at the very least, but in an ideal world I'd like to see us sign a quality centre-half. Dunne fits the bill, for me.