Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Would love to see us interested in Baptista.  Would add some great toughness to the team.

Would love to see Evans here for two reasons.....first he is a good young player and second, well would be funny as fook to watch the Makems spitting feathers about it. ;D

Likewise, he offers more than Viduka in terms of being able play laterally across the defensive rearguard as the 'anchor' in the three pronged attack. And he offers consistent workrate to compliment his physical attributes, ie. strength & pace, and the highlighted two are missing from Viduka's game regardless of injury or not.

Right now Viduka doesn't drag centre halves out of position, and his lack of movement - ie. into the defensive zones in either outside channel wide of the penalty area - doesn't cause any assignment switches on the part of the opposition defensive line. Too much is expected of both Martins & Owen, in terms of being able to create their own space in the hole, against a structurally settled & stabile defensive unit.... especially against a team which has a smart & able, with the sideline-to-sideline engine to compliment, defensive midfielder patrolling the 'the hole' behind the anchor striker.

The attacking trio seen towards the end of last season flourished against teams at the lower end of the table, simply because such opposition didn't have the defensive armory - ie. a rock solid deep playing midfielder/ a game reader - needed to combat the twin threat of Martins & Owen while their centrehalves largely contained Viduka through the middle. We treaded water, in terms of being able to paper over Viduka's weakness', and got away with it towards the end of last season but i see us continuing to struggle against the top 6 ie. those teams who are as mentioned 'defensively equipped' in terms of having in particular the midfielders who are both postionally adaptable and have the discipline to be constantly aware of & be able to diffuse any dangerous build-up play involving either Viduka, Owen or Martins.

Somebody like Baptista would pose some structural problems for any defensive outfield, and relieve the pressure & reliance currently heaped upon Owen & Martins and this will continue to apply if & when Viduka returns from his injury hiatus.

..................... apologies go out for polluting the board with more more 'verbal liquid s***'  ;)

Fairly upbeat story in the Journal for a change. Apparently Spurs have turned baptista down so we have a chance ;)

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/06/28/magpies-offered-beast-of-seville-61634-21165867/

Magpies offered ‘Beast of Seville’

Jun 28 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United have been offered Real Madrid attacking midfielder Julio Baptista as they continue their efforts to make a breakthrough in the transfer market.

The 26-year-old Brazilian has been deemed surplus to requirements at the Bernabeu after losing his place last season, and Newcastle are among a clutch of English clubs who have been alerted to his availability.

With Joey Barton’s future still far from certain the club are on the look out for midfield reinforcements, and Baptista certainly boasts a CV to match any of the players they realistically will be able to tempt to St James’s Park.

United can expect plenty of competition if they do decide to take up their interest, with Baptista already offered to Tottenham – who turned down the chance to take him to White Hart Lane – and Blackburn, who are interested but would struggle to cover the cost of his personal terms. The player’s representatives are also looking for a new club in Italy, with Roma and Fiorentina among the interested parties in Serie A. Newcastle’s link to any deal comes in the form of technical director Jeff Vetere, who has maintained links with Real from his time working for the club as a scout.

And while United’s manager is yet to sanction a move for the man once dubbed ‘the beast of Seville’, he is understood to be a credible target as they look to add quality to a perilously thin squad.

When Keegan set out his criteria for new signings at the end of the season he pinpointed Premier League experience as one of the key requirements – and Baptista has that from the season he spent on loan at Arsenal.

Baptista enjoyed mixed fortunes in North London, failing to earn himself a regular place in the Gunnners team and eventually returned to Madrid.

But despite some teething troubles in England, he showed signs that he was beginning to adapt to the Premier League by the end of his short spell at Arsenal – and still managed to score ten goals in 35 games for the Gunners.

United’s lack of confirmed activity in the transfer market masks plenty of work behind the scenes, and a breakthrough is expected in the weeks following the conclusion of Euro 2008. The club are short of numbers after the departure of Emre and David Rozenhal, and with substantial funds to spend Keegan will hope to make his first signing before the players return for pre-season training in the first week of July.

As revealed in The Journal last month, Manchester United defender Jonny Evans is another of the names under consideration at St James’s Park – although Sir Alex Ferguson is yet to make any decision on whether the 20-year-old will be allowed to leave Old Trafford again on loan. Newcastle paid close attention to Evans’ progress while he was on loan at the Stadium of Light in the second half of the season, and a number of glowing reports were filed to United’s scouts.

However, Keegan’s new signings will certainly not include Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor, who was alleged to be interesting United. The Scotland international has signed a new five-year contract at Ibrox, squashing speculation that Kevin Keegan wanted him to replace Shay Given.

And another player linked in some quarters with United, Sweden international Johan Elmander, has joined Bolton on a three-year deal.

As United look to add new signings to their squad before the season starts in August, they are now resigned to losing first-team coach Steve Round.

He has been given permission to talk to Everton with a view to being appointed as David Moyes’ assistant and that move could be confirmed in the early part of next week – leaving Keegan to begin the search for another coach to supplement his backroom staff.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/06/28/magpies-offered-beast-of-seville-61634-21165867/

Magpies offered ‘Beast of Seville’

Jun 28 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Julio Baptista

NEWCASTLE United have been offered Real Madrid attacking midfielder Julio Baptista as they continue their efforts to make a breakthrough in the transfer market.

The 26-year-old Brazilian has been deemed surplus to requirements at the Bernabeu after losing his place last season, and Newcastle are among a clutch of English clubs who have been alerted to his availability.

With Joey Barton’s future still far from certain the club are on the look out for midfield reinforcements, and Baptista certainly boasts a CV to match any of the players they realistically will be able to tempt to St James’s Park.

United can expect plenty of competition if they do decide to take up their interest, with Baptista already offered to Tottenham – who turned down the chance to take him to White Hart Lane – and Blackburn, who are interested but would struggle to cover the cost of his personal terms. The player’s representatives are also looking for a new club in Italy, with Roma and Fiorentina among the interested parties in Serie A. Newcastle’s link to any deal comes in the form of technical director Jeff Vetere, who has maintained links with Real from his time working for the club as a scout.

And while United’s manager is yet to sanction a move for the man once dubbed ‘the beast of Seville’, he is understood to be a credible target as they look to add quality to a perilously thin squad.

When Keegan set out his criteria for new signings at the end of the season he pinpointed Premier League experience as one of the key requirements – and Baptista has that from the season he spent on loan at Arsenal.

Baptista enjoyed mixed fortunes in North London, failing to earn himself a regular place in the Gunnners team and eventually returned to Madrid.

But despite some teething troubles in England, he showed signs that he was beginning to adapt to the Premier League by the end of his short spell at Arsenal – and still managed to score ten goals in 35 games for the Gunners.

United’s lack of confirmed activity in the transfer market masks plenty of work behind the scenes, and a breakthrough is expected in the weeks following the conclusion of Euro 2008. The club are short of numbers after the departure of Emre and David Rozenhal, and with substantial funds to spend Keegan will hope to make his first signing before the players return for pre-season training in the first week of July.

As revealed in The Journal last month, Manchester United defender Jonny Evans is another of the names under consideration at St James’s Park – although Sir Alex Ferguson is yet to make any decision on whether the 20-year-old will be allowed to leave Old Trafford again on loan. Newcastle paid close attention to Evans’ progress while he was on loan at the Stadium of Light in the second half of the season, and a number of glowing reports were filed to United’s scouts.

However, Keegan’s new signings will certainly not include Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor, who was alleged to be interesting United. The Scotland international has signed a new five-year contract at Ibrox, squashing speculation that Kevin Keegan wanted him to replace Shay Given.

And another player linked in some quarters with United, Sweden international Johan Elmander, has joined Bolton on a three-year deal.

As United look to add new signings to their squad before the season starts in August, they are now resigned to losing first-team coach Steve Round.

He has been given permission to talk to Everton with a view to being appointed as David Moyes’ assistant and that move could be confirmed in the early part of next week – leaving Keegan to begin the search for another coach to supplement his backroom staff.

Would Baptista be played in Barton's role or as a target man do you think?

baptista can play anywhere across midfield also as front man... i just love the prospect of reviving his sevilla if we do sign him... one of above average player on his day and also he's not too old

on barton role yes he can... he can deploy into box to box midfield

Would Baptista be played in Barton's role or as a target man do you think?

baptista can play anywhere across midfield also as front man... i just love the prospect of reviving his sevilla if we do sign him... one of above average player on his day and also he's not too old

on barton role yes he can... he can deploy into box to box midfield

Either way I think he'd be an improvement.

Only worth signing if we use him as Sevilla did - ie the target striker. Its strange why Madrid signed him for so much money, then used him in a totally different position to which he had made a name for himself - but its understandable too given the options they have.

If we're looking at him as a midfielder, there are tons better out there imo.

But surely he wouldnt come here given how much he moaned about the weather in London?

Just been pointed out to me on another forum - this is what Baptista said during his time with Arsenal;

"The teams from the north of England are terrible," he said.

"When we play them I have counted their centre-backs booting up to 30 long balls upfield per game.

"The weather over here is killing me. We'll get one day of sunshine for every 30 days of rain, and it is driving me to despair.

"My girlfriend and my mother are frightened about not seeing the sun in England. They miss being in Madrid."

-------------------

I guess that's put paid to that then. Any of you's keen to have him now, when he's said that in the past?

We have to try for Baptista I reckon. Take all this into account ... he has prem experience, he is very versatile, he has a power and pace, he has a hell of a shot on him and very good freekicks, good age at 26 also. I am sure Keegan would figure out how best to use him.

We all know about the weather quote but that was at the end of the season when it was looking as though Arsenal weren't going to sign him permanently, mostly because Real and Arsenal couldn't agree on a fee for him or Reyes, Baptista was just trying to save face.

Besides, if we met Real's valuation and we talked to the player we could always establish how he really feels about all that.

Just been pointed out to me on another forum - this is what Baptista said during his time with Arsenal;

"When we play them I have counted their centre-backs booting up to 30 long balls upfield per game.

"The weather over here is killing me. We'll get one day of sunshine for every 30 days of rain, and it is driving me to despair.

"My girlfriend and my mother are frightened about not seeing the sun in England. They miss being in Madrid."

-------------------

I guess that's put paid to that then. Any of you's keen to have him now, when he's said that in the past?

What's wrong with what he said? He sounds like an Englishman.

Would be fairly chuffed with Batista. For some reason I just feel that he'll do well. It's like the diametric opposite of the feeling you'd get if we signed someone like Riise, who despite playing more games and arguably playing better for his club just has that aura of "potential big money flop" about him.

Of course, all this is just me.

In any case, he wasn't THAT bad at Arsenal.

Guest Deep456

He fits the bill:

1) Can play as a big targetman upfront on his own.

2) Has got bags of international experience.

3) Still relatively young.

4) Top 4 reject.

Would be fairly chuffed with Batista. For some reason I just feel that he'll do well. It's like the diametric opposite of the feeling you'd get if we signed someone like Riise, who despite playing more games and arguably playing better for his club just has that aura of "potential big money flop" about him.

Of course, all this is just me.

In any case, he wasn't THAT bad at Arsenal.

Alan Smith wasn't THAT bad at Man Utd tbh.

-------------------

Im sure there is also quote from him actually saying he'd be interested in us having been linked with us before he went back to Madrid...

From a year ago.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23072007/58/la-liga-baptista-eyes-newcastle.html

"I want the chance in pre-season to show our new coach Bernd Schuster I should be a part of his plans," he said. "If things do not work out here I will have to look at other options in Spain and England.

"Newcastle is a big club but before I consider a move I need to know about my future with Real.

"I believe I showed at Arsenal last season that I can play in England, score goals and make goals.

"I'm sure my future will be sorted out in the next few weeks."