Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Might be a fall-back option if the more high-profile deals don't come off?

25 years old, from abroad, seems to fit the bill.

Club are very short of numbers up front assuming Shola goes.

You have to remember that the current fourth choice striker is Smith and you'd hope we got rid of him too.

Consider the players Keegan used to have up front (although the players are different in terms of attributes, they have vaguely) similar stature:

Shearer = Owen

Ferdinand = Viduka

Asprilla = Martins

Beardsley = ?

Kitson = ?

Huckerby = Carroll

Ginola = ?

Watson = Smith

Just read his mini-bio, damn you Shearer for getting old.  :(

Shearer would be immense in our 4-3-3 system with Oba and Owen at his side.

Love this one:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/09/19/19n_owen_wideweb__430x273.jpg

And when have we ever played a 4-3-3 with Owen and Oba on either side of anyone?

Zarate in talks with 2 EPL sides

Hope one of them is us

At a guess I would say one side is definitely Everton.

They love to play an attacking midfielder just behind Yakubu and usually have Cahill there but he is always injured.

Zarate in talks with 2 EPL sides

Hope one of them is us

At a guess I would say one side is definitely Everton.

They love to play an attacking midfielder just behind Yakubu and usually have Cahill there but he is always injured.

A definite guess.

You have to remember that the current fourth choice striker is Smith and you'd hope we got rid of him too.

Consider the players Keegan used to have up front (although the players are different in terms of attributes, they have vaguely) similar stature:

Shearer = Owen

Ferdinand = Viduka

Asprilla = Martins

Beardsley = ?

Kitson = ?

Huckerby = Carroll

Ginola = ?

Watson = Smith

Love this one:

And when have we ever played a 4-3-3 with Owen and Oba on either side of anyone?

Owen wouldn't be able to play in that role.  That's why Keegan plays that disjointed front 3.  To play on the right or left of a front three which I consider to be a wing forward you need the ability to beat a man which Owen doesn't really have.  If he could have, Allardyce would never have went 442 to accomodate him.

Shearer = Owen

Ferdinand = Viduka

Asprilla = Martins

Beardsley = ?

Kitson = ?

Huckerby = Carroll

Ginola = ?

Watson = Smith

Love this one:

Owen wouldn't be able to play in that role.  That's why Keegan plays that disjointed front 3.  To play on the right or left of a front three which I consider to be a wing forward you need the ability to beat a man which Owen doesn't really have.  If he could have, Allardyce would never have went 442 to accomodate him.

Yeah agreed, you should explain this to Pullman.

Shearer = Owen

Ferdinand = Viduka

Asprilla = Martins

Beardsley = ?

Kitson = ?

Huckerby = Carroll

Ginola = ?

Watson = Smith

Love this one:

Yeah agreed, you should explain this to Pullman.

I was I just qouted the wrong bit.  To be fair I think Martins is the only one in our squad that can do that but he drift's inside too much.  Duff may be able to do it but I have my doubts and he seems to have lost the ability to beat his man....  Well, he can beat them but has to cut back due to his lack of pace/confidence atm.  Milner should definatley not play in this role.

Just on Zarate:

Birmingham's on-loan striker Mauro Zarate is having talks with two Premier League clubs, according to the Argentine player's agent.

The 21-year-old, who joined in January from Qatari side Al-Saad until the end of the season, scored four goals for relegated Blues.

"He's in discussions with two top English sides at the moment," his agent Christian Otero told BBC Sport.

"Al-Saad had quoted about £20m for him but I think he will go for about £10m."

Otero added: "I expect to have more details regarding Mauro's future next week."

Still don't know what he's done to be so highly rated, but weren't people talking about him costing much more than £10m?

Just on Zarate:

Birmingham's on-loan striker Mauro Zarate is having talks with two Premier League clubs, according to the Argentine player's agent.

The 21-year-old, who joined in January from Qatari side Al-Saad until the end of the season, scored four goals for relegated Blues.

"He's in discussions with two top English sides at the moment," his agent Christian Otero told BBC Sport.

Otero added: "I expect to have more details regarding Mauro's future next week."

Still don't know what he's done to be so highly rated, but weren't people talking about him costing much more than £10m?

Been in a struggling side has put a few away and has some quality attributes about him, quick, technically good, can spot a pass and can put defenders under pressure and is very young. What hasnt he done that makes you wary?

Just on Zarate:

Comparing to when Tevez came to England, Zarate has had the better first five months ;)

Isn't there a general concensus in South America before he came to England that the Argentina of the next few tournaments, him, Tevez and Messi would be their key attacking players?

Just on Zarate:

Comparing to when Tevez came to England, Zarate has had the better first five months ;)

Isn't there a general concensus in South America before he came to England that the Argentina of the next few tournaments, him, Tevez and Messi would be their key attacking players?

No.

Aguero.

Just on Zarate:

Been in a struggling side has put a few away and has some quality attributes about him, quick, technically good, can spot a pass and can put defenders under pressure and is very young. What hasnt he done that makes you wary?

Other than a couple of freekicks I've seen him score on MOTD, I've not been concentrating on Birmingham. I know they got relegated though.

Not putting a downer on him, just seems like everyone is raving about a £10m+ player and very few have said what's he's actually so good at. As I say, not seen much of Birmingham like, so I admit ignorance on that front.

Guest Knightrider

From what I've seen of Zarate, he's quick, inventive, good at set pieces and likes to dribble. Whether that makes him something he's not, I don't know, but as attributes go, those would be the things I'd like to see added to our side.

Just on Zarate:

Other than a couple of freekicks I've seen him score on MOTD, I've not been concentrating on Birmingham. I know they got relegated though.

Not putting a downer on him, just seems like everyone is raving about a £10m+ player and very few have said what's he's actually so good at. As I say, not seen much of Birmingham like, so I admit ignorance on that front.

Doesnt matter what he's good at,  he ticks all the right boxes for me.

South American- Check

Cool Name - Check

Expensive - Check

Long Hair - Check

From what I've seen of Zarate, he's quick, inventive, good at set pieces and likes to dribble. Whether that makes him something he's not, I don't know, but as attributes go, those would be the things I'd like to see added to our side.

certainly a KK type of player too.........however he did mention something about not being keen on South Americans recently (or south americans who have not played in the epl?)

certainly a KK type of player too.........however he did mention something about not being keen on South Americans recently (or south americans who have not played in the epl?)

think he was on about buying straight form south america

His agent has also said a top four club is in for him.

The thoughts are that Wenger is interested.

Guess we'll just have to settle for Nasri then.

Where does it say that? I heard the agent said that he was speaking to 2 "top english clubs." If he's gone to Birmingham knowing their plight and enjoying it i can imagine a top club being from 17th position up!