Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Sidwell...

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/mostpopular.var.2320427.mostviewed.sidwell_fee_out_of_uniteds_league.php

Sidwell fee out of Uniteds league

By Lee Hall

CHELSEA have warned potential suitors that Steve Sidwell will not be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge on the cheap, which could scupper any plans Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan has of taking the player to St James' Park, writes LEE HALL.

North-East rivals Middlesbrough and Sunderland are among a host of Premier League clubs chasing the 25-year-old, with Aston Villa believed to be favourites to land Sidwell.

But even a bid of £4m from Villa Park is likely to prove insufficient, with the managerless Blues holding out for £6m, despite signing the player from Reading on a free transfer last summer.

And that asking price could be enough to thwart Newcastle's attempts of signing Sidwell, who struggled to break into Chelsea's star-studded line-up last season, making just seven league starts.

Keegan sees Sidwell as a potential replacement for Emre, who is close to completing his move to Fenerbahce.

Keegan has accepted that there will be limited funds available after owner Mike Ashley revealed last month that the club will no longer be prepared to break the bank for big-name stars as he aims to reduce Newcastle's huge wage bill.

Sidwell is keen to remain in west London and prove his credentials at Chelsea. However, much will depend on who succeeds Avram Grant as Blues boss and whether or not they see Sidwell as part of their plans.

Keegan, who hopes to tie up a deal for Galatasaray midfielder Arda Turan, has also been linked with a move for Argentina international Pablo Aimar.

The 28-year-old has been transfer listed by Real Zaragoza following their relegation from La Liga.

Keegan could face competition from Liverpool, who were interested in signing Aimar in January's transfer window.

So he wants to sign Turan and Aimar but cant afford 6 million for Sidwell rubbish dont want Sidwell either

Anyone heard of Tranquillo Barnetta?

He's a young(19), very talented Swiss attacking midfielder. He's basically Switzerland's answer to David Beckham.

I saw a profile of him last night on Euro 2008 preview and he looks like a really good prospect. He also fits the bill for the type of player we're looking for.

Great player, but will be expensive. It is rumoured that Leverkusen will only let him go for 23M Euros... :-(

Yeah but Aimar & Turan are worth more than £6m....Sidwell isn't.

Aye i know but the paper claims we cant afford Sidwell but can get the other two

It doesn't say we can't afford him. It says we won't pay £6m for him.

If he was worth £6m, there's no doubt we'd be ready to offer that.

He's worth £3m tops.

What the fuck has he done at Chelsea to warrant his value increasing? 2 years ago he was valued at about £3.5m (i realise he was signed on a free)- he's gone to Chelsea, sat on the bench and done fuck all else and suddenly he's worth £6m?! If anything his value should've dropped. He's 2 years older and he hasn't player regular first team football for 2 seasons.

Leave well alone.

He's a young(19), very talented Swiss attacking midfielder. He's basically Switzerland's answer to David Beckham.

I saw a profile of him last night on Euro 2008 preview and he looks like a really good prospect. He also fits the bill for the type of player we're looking for.

i haven't but that's a fantastic name.

swiss david beckham ... sounds interesting :)

i haven't but that's a fantastic name.

swiss david beckham ... sounds interesting :)

I remember him from the 2006 WC, so he's not 19(edit: he just turned 23). Was a big article on him in a Swedish paper, and he seems to be a very talented footballer. Also looks very good on YouTube.

The Beckham comparison is in relation to his media exposure rather than his football. He's a major pin up and style icon in Switzerland.

He looks brilliant though. I can't believe i'd never heard of him until last night.

Anyone got a phone number for Jeff Vetere?

Guest WalkervilleMag

The Beckham comparison is in relation to his media exposure rather than his football. He's a major pin up and style icon in Switzerland.

He looks brilliant though. I can't believe i'd never heard of him until last night.

He's most likely off to Spurs

Jeff Vetere is off to Spurs? :-)

Jeff Vetere is off to Spurs? :-)

plausible, everyone else seems to be lol

Anyone seen much of Ivan Rakitić from Schalke?  I remember thinking he was class against Chelsea early last season and only 19 or 20, but I can't say I've seen much else of him.

Anyone seen much of Ivan Rakitić from Schalke?  I remember thinking he was class against Chelsea early last season and only 19 or 20, but I can't say I've seen much else of him.

He's a cracking player. Loads of potential. I am sure he will shine at the EURO. Also croatian Mladen Petric would be a great acquisition.

He's a cracking player. Loads of potential. I am sure he will shine at the EURO. Also croatian Mladen Petric would be a great acquisition.

According to his Wiki he played U-21's for Switzerland but now plays for Croatia.  Quite a loss for the Swiss then?

Like I said he looked great against Chelsea, but I haven't heard much hype about him so thought I might have just caught him having an exceptional performance.

I always thought Behrami was the sort of poster player in Switzerland.

Hell this is dull, I'm so bored. Nothing is happening, we aren't seemingly close to buying anyone, we haven't sealed the deal on any of our contract extensions. We've not sold anyone yet, though that could dhange soon. And we've not even seen particuarly strong links in realtion to getting rid of oir dead wood.

Can't someone make up some ITK bollocks, just to give us something to talk about ??