Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Alan has spoken:

Newcastle fail in bid for Anton Ferdinand

Jul 16 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United appear to have failed in an ambitious bid to pair West Ham’s Anton Ferdinand with his former England under-21 colleague Steven Taylor at St James’s Park.

This leaves Kevin Keegan still desperately looking for another central defender before the new season starts in a month’s time.

The United boss was keen on Ferdinand and, with West Ham looking to cut their wage bill, he thought he was in with a chance of signing him.

However, the player has made it clear he is not interested in switching from London to Tyneside.

The talk coming out of East London is that, while West Ham would have preferred to do a straight cash deal for the 23-year-old brother of England and Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand, manager Alan Curbishley would have been interested in taking winger Damien Duff in part-exchange.

While any deal involving Ferdinand now looks dead, it remains to be seen whether Curbishley will follow up his interest in Duff.

Duff has hardly been a success since his £5m switch from Chelsea to St James’s Park exactly two years ago, and the fact United have signed another left-winger in Jonas Gutierrez will hardly have done the Republic of Ireland international’s confid-ence much good.

Ironically, Duff’s only Premier League goal for United came in the win over West Ham at Upton Park at the start of the 2006-07 season.

If he does end up in East London, Duff will join former United men Kieron Dyer, Scott Parker and Lee Bowyer.

What perhaps would be a surprise to some Hammers fans is the fact West Ham appear prepared to let Ferdinand go.

Ferdinand’s decision will be a blow to Keegan, coming just two weeks after United finally tied Taylor down on a long-term contract.

Keegan was happy to go with a Taylor-Abdoulaye Faye central defensive pairing at the end of last season, but he only has 20-year-old David Edgar and Claudio Cacapa as cover.

Guest Flair

Alan has spoken:

Newcastle fail in bid for Anton Ferdinand

Jul 16 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United appear to have failed in an ambitious bid to pair West Ham’s Anton Ferdinand with his former England under-21 colleague Steven Taylor at St James’s Park.

This leaves Kevin Keegan still desperately looking for another central defender before the new season starts in a month’s time.

The United boss was keen on Ferdinand and, with West Ham looking to cut their wage bill, he thought he was in with a chance of signing him.

However, the player has made it clear he is not interested in switching from London to Tyneside.

The talk coming out of East London is that, while West Ham would have preferred to do a straight cash deal for the 23-year-old brother of England and Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand, manager Alan Curbishley would have been interested in taking winger Damien Duff in part-exchange.

While any deal involving Ferdinand now looks dead, it remains to be seen whether Curbishley will follow up his interest in Duff.

Duff has hardly been a success since his £5m switch from Chelsea to St James’s Park exactly two years ago, and the fact United have signed another left-winger in Jonas Gutierrez will hardly have done the Republic of Ireland international’s confid-ence much good.

Ironically, Duff’s only Premier League goal for United came in the win over West Ham at Upton Park at the start of the 2006-07 season.

If he does end up in East London, Duff will join former United men Kieron Dyer, Scott Parker and Lee Bowyer.

What perhaps would be a surprise to some Hammers fans is the fact West Ham appear prepared to let Ferdinand go.

Ferdinand’s decision will be a blow to Keegan, coming just two weeks after United finally tied Taylor down on a long-term contract.

Keegan was happy to go with a Taylor-Abdoulaye Faye central defensive pairing at the end of last season, but he only has 20-year-old David Edgar and Claudio Cacapa as cover.

If true.  :celb:

Aw nah, not this old chestnut again.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1431883.ece

NEWCASTLE and Everton are locked in a £4million tug-of-war for Tottenham’s Pascal Chimbonda.

SunSport can reveal both Toon boss Kevin Keegan and Toffees chief Dave Moyes are keen on the full-back.

And ex-Spurs boss Martin Jol, who has just taken over at Hamburg, is also after the Frenchman.

Chimbonda, 29, who has one cap for France, joined Spurs in a £6million move from Wigan two years ago.

But he fell out with new boss Juande Ramos and famously threw a massive strop when he was substituted during the Carling Cup final against Chelsea.

For fks sake I wish he would just go to another club and let this story pass, yeah we could do with another RB but Beye is a god and Chim is a money hungry cunt.

Skirge I love you man. :lol:

For fks sake I wish he would just go to another club and let this story pass, yeah we could do with another RB but Beye is a god and Chim is a money hungry c***.

Skirge I love you man. :lol:

awwwwwwww shucks :D

I really hope these are smokescreens because fucking hell some of these players are shite to say the least.

Part of our problem is we used to throw money at players just to get them on board! That's not happening anymore so I guess most of our targets have thought, bollocks i'll get a payday elsewhere then.

I'm still hoping we can pull a couple of surprises out the bag but part of me feels we'll get 1 more average player and be no better than we were before.

If this happens and we are no better would you want another takeover?  Time will tell but this clubs been shit for far too long

I really hope these are smokescreens because f***ing hell some of these players are s**** to say the least.

Part of our problem is we used to throw money at players just to get them on board! That's not happening anymore so I guess most of our targets have thought, bollocks i'll get a payday elsewhere then.

I'm still hoping we can pull a couple of surprises out the bag but part of me feels we'll get 1 more average player and be no better than we were before.

If this happens and we are no better would you want another takeover?  Time will tell but this clubs been s*** for far too long

no... :rolleyes: