Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

I really hope these are smokescreens because f***ing hell some of these players are s**** to say the least.

Part of our problem is we used to throw money at players just to get them on board! That's not happening anymore so I guess most of our targets have thought, bollocks i'll get a payday elsewhere then.

I'm still hoping we can pull a couple of surprises out the bag but part of me feels we'll get 1 more average player and be no better than we were before.

If this happens and we are no better would you want another takeover?  Time will tell but this clubs been s*** for far too long

no... :rolleyes:

Oh so you'd be quite happy finishing the bottom half each year?

All we can do is hope the club are being very very cunning and letting the media spread shite as they move for the unlinked players that they targeted before the window opened.

that's called blind hope mate, or whatever the next step up from that is - assuming you're referring to top quality players here

All we can do is hope the club are being very very cunning and letting the media spread s**** as they move for the unlinked players that they targeted before the window opened.

that's called blind hope mate, or whatever the next step up from that is - assuming you're referring to top quality players here

Just trying to be positive today mate.

:D

FWIW, Guthrie said that we were interested since the end of the season, and that it wasn't until last week that Liverpool let him speak to us. Shows transfers can't be completed with a click of the fingers as MrMiyagi75 expects ;)

Hoffenheim. :lol:

Tell me it isn't.......

He couldn't resist the promises of their chairman

http://gregcookland.com/journal/uploaded_images/picHasselHoff-747711.jpg

Urgh ;)

I really hope these are smokescreens because f***ing hell some of these players are s**** to say the least.

Part of our problem is we used to throw money at players just to get them on board! That's not happening anymore so I guess most of our targets have thought, bollocks i'll get a payday elsewhere then.

I'm still hoping we can pull a couple of surprises out the bag but part of me feels we'll get 1 more average player and be no better than we were before.

If this happens and we are no better would you want another takeover?  Time will tell but this clubs been s*** for far too long

hmm. who was the owner before? Were did we finished in the league? What kind of money did he throw at players and transfers? Did it worked?

What are this board trying too do? How long time compared with the board before have they got. Why do you believe we are less attractive now than five years ago?

What do you want a new (arab)board to do?

FWIW, Guthrie said that we were interested since the end of the season, and that it wasn't until last week that Liverpool let him speak to us. Shows transfers can't be completed with a click of the fingers as MrMiyagi75 expects ;)

no right enough, granted...still believe a buying club can make any deal happen if they want/need it enough, i.e. pay a good fee to the selling club, i mean liverpool let crouch talk to pompey pretty fucking sharpish once the 11m bid was lodged didn't they?  and it all happened very fast then

re guthrie wonder why liverpool sat back and waited?  not like anything changed with their own transfers, they're no further on any of them are they?  still, behind the scenes who knows?

All we can do is hope the club are being very very cunning and letting the media spread s**** as they move for the unlinked players that they targeted before the window opened.

Just trying to be positive today mate.

:D

aye i know, harder by the day though....

hmm. who was the owner before? Were did we finished in the league? What kind of money did he throw at players and transfers? Did it worked?

What are this board trying too do? How long time compared with the board before have they got. Why do you believe we are less attractive now than five years ago?

Think you're missing the point.

If this new policy by the club see's us no better off would you want a change to come sooner rather than later?

Ok not throwing money at players is a positive step but it can also be a negative one when you finished 12th and have no european football to lure better players that could move you up the league.  Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate!

If we are left with most of the crap from last season with only an unknown argentinian and a liverpool reject as our top transfer targets then i'm sorry but I want answers.

Guest optimistic nit

no right enough, granted...still believe a buying club can make any deal happen if they want/need it enough, i.e. pay a good fee to the selling club, i mean liverpool let crouch talk to pompey pretty fucking sharpish once the 11m bid was lodged didn't they?  and it all happened very fast then

re guthrie wonder why liverpool sat back and waited?  not like anything changed with their own transfers, they're no further on any of them are they?  still, behind the scenes who knows?

and thank fuck we are not the mugs paying 11million for peter crouch.

i am concerned that the club think they can get to a reasonable position in the league without spending hardly any money, but they are still doing a good job on the whole imo, and these things take time. its early in the transfer window anyway, we could end up spending 50 million, although i dont think we will spend anything near that figure.

If this new policy by the club see's us no better off would you want a change to come sooner rather than later?

Ok not throwing money at players is a positive step but it can also be a negative one when you finished 12th and have no european football to lure better players that could move you up the league.  Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate!

If we are left with most of the crap from last season with only an unknown argentinian and a liverpool reject as our top transfer targets then i'm sorry but I want answers.

You didn´t get my point.

Give it time. I can´t answear you before they have had a few seasons. Still. Has the money throwing helped the past few years when we have been without europe?

You didn´t get my point.

Give it time. I can´t answear you before they have had a few seasons. Still. Has the money throwing helped the past few years when we have been without europe?

I'm prepared to give it 3 years to see an improvement

Guest geordienorway

Take this with a huge pinch of salt, but still:

Just heard back from my contact. there is definatly a press conference on monday for 3:00. It is defo not a player signing. Maybe kk is off or ma is selling up

Posted by: tonny | 17 July 2008 at 06:50

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_soccerblog/2008/07/newcastle-targe.html

Daniel // Jul 16, 2008 at 23:13

I dont know the specifics of who’s list they were from, I just know what happened over the past few days. Everything was fine up until 4pm today when we decided to withdraw the agreed contract from yesterday. We had the fee agreed (7m in one go) but had a change of heart about 4 oclock today. I dont know if we were trying to reduce the wages a little bit more or what the logic was, but it didnt work and Aimars agent walked out. Big fail on our part. Same thing happened last week, met the release clause for inler, press conference arranged last thursday, then wednesday night we withdrew the offer

TT - I have 3 sources, all of which had this one. A friend who knows Llambias, someone from the press office and a journalist(Nicko? mackems.gif)

Daniel // Jul 16, 2008 at 23:36

Anth - they always pre book them to get the press there so tomorrows was for Aimar, ill text my mate to find out the crack for mondays