Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

LB, CB, AM and a f***ing big CF is what we need IMO

Agreed. Someone that can do Viduka's job better than Viduka can.

And to a more reliable degree

And maybe get Viduka to get his finger out and get in shape to compete

Would he though?

He strikes me as the kind of person, especially nearer the end of his career, who would just sit there and moan and complain about not being in the side, rather than actually get off his arse and do something about it.

Guest elpapi

He prob wont like, but if he doesnt then hopefully we get rid in January and get him off the wage bill

Isn't viduka in his last year with an option for another year? Would make sense to make him get his finger out if he wants to stay another year...

Guest optimistic nit

No back up for Beye? Also we need 2 new cbs that are both quality, we've enough medicore CBs only fit for being backups here. Also i think another winger, a quality one who can play both sides is needed aswell. We know Duff can be shit and we dont know how well Gutierrez will actually be, SWPs would be an ideal signing for us at the minute.

Plus we need a new striker as all we really have is Martins and Owen

we dont need another winger yet imo. we simply have far more important positions and i would not sign swp if i had the chance. he´s not what we need, if we were to get another winger, i would prefer an arteta type player. someone with a good brain and good technique.

we´ve survived with taylor in our defense for 3 years. he is irratic, but we´ve finished 7th with him in it, and we´ve improved said defense by signing 3 good players. that defense could get us to 6th or 5th if our midfield and strikeforce do the business.

a good (cuellar?) third centreback would be nice though.

given how much expectations for this transfer window maybe have (certainly should have) changed due to our apparent lack of activity & unwillingness to splash the cash does anyone actually HAVE any realisitic summer targets then?

realistic for us now i mean?

lets take it as a given we need fullback cover, a good CB, a good DM, a good creative playmaker and probably a striker

personally i'm a bit lost when trying to answer my own question here...it's almost like we need to draw a line under the modrics/arshavins/turans/decos (remember him from earlier?!) of this world and think of another 4-5 "danny guthrie's"!

this isn't a dig at the owner or anything, genuine question 'cause when the summer started with the modric bid it seemed to me would be operating at a certain standard of player but now i have no idea where that standard might be!

Guest sicko2ndbest

we only have 2 premiership quality strikers.

No we dont. Viduka, Owen and Martins are all premiership class. Owen and Martins are top 4 class

Guest icemanblue

You sure?

Owen, Martins, The Duke.

I can't wait to hear which one isn't 'Premiership quality'.

Guest optimistic nit

So which one of Owen, Martins and Viduka isn't Premiership quality?! :lol:

Viduka.

he´s injured for another 2 months at least isn´t he, so i´m not going to count him as a PL striker until we get him fit. even if he comes back earlier, he will have had no pre season, and he´s an unfit player to begin with.

even if he was fit and uninjured, which he isn´t, we cant be doing with only having 3 good strikers, 2 of which have very bad injury records.

Guest icemanblue

Viduka.

he´s injured for another 2 months at least isn´t he, so i´m not going to count him as a PL striker until we get him fit. even if he comes back earlier, he will have had no pre season, and he´s an unfit player to begin with.

even if he was fit and uninjured, which he isn´t, we cant be doing with only having 3 good strikers, 2 of which have very bad injury records.

Shut up. Idiot.

Viduka.

Shut up. Idiot.

???

Viduka.

Keep digging.

Guest icemanblue

Haha, that does sound pretty harsh actually.

The guy only posted that to get a reaction. He got it. Jog on.

Guest optimistic nit

:lol: i´m not trying to get a reaction, if you can tell me what you dissagree with in the above post the i´ll listen.

viduka has had a serious injury, he´s already quite old, and he´s never been a fit player anyway. he wont come back until mid august at the earliest imo, physio room say september the 6th. after that we will need to get him fit.

i cant really see how you can dissagree with any of that, and if you cant, then surely you can see that we cant rely on him to be one of our 4 strikers next season.

Guest icemanblue

:lol: i´m not trying to get a reaction, if you can tell me what you dissagree with in the above post the i´ll listen.

viduka has had a serious injury, he´s already quite old, and he´s never been a fit player anyway. he wont come back until mid august at the earliest imo, physio room say september the 6th. after that we will need to get him fit.

i cant really see how you can dissagree with any of that, and if you cant, then surely you can see that we cant rely on him to be one of our 4 strikers next season.

Look, your first post said we only have two Premiership quality strikers. You didn't go into any detail explaining why you had discounted Viduka. You didn't name the two in order to get a reaction from other people, who would obviously pick up on this. You succeeded.

You've then went on to give some half-arsed shite as the reason for discounting Viduka, that completely misses the overriding point of him being a Newcastle player and merely states what we all already know. Well done. Now, be quiet.

I dont know why they think you are on the wind up, we could VERY easily end up going through several periods or else one long period without both Owen and Viduka.

Nobody has said different, people are pointing out that Viduka quite clearly is a Premiership class player and to suggest he isn't is bollocks.

Guest optimistic nit

no need to be quite so aggressive. class encompasses everything that a football player has, including fitness imo.

a fit viduka is premiership class, but will that happen and when? and saying a ´fit´viduka doesn´t include all of viduka´s playing profile, because it assumes he is fit, when he quite clearly isn´t.

no need to be quite so aggressive. class encompasses everything that a football player has, including fitness imo.

a fit viduka is premiership class, but will that happen and when?

So every player that is injured can't be counted as being Premiership class now?

So every player that is injured can't be counted as being Premiership class now?

I think what he is saying is that Viduka is unfit at the moment, if he was on a field tomorrow against Manure he wouldnt get a look in what so ever solely because he is unfit, therefore in his current state he isnt good enough to play against Premier League teams for a Premier League team, to get back to his usual self ie scoring for fun he needs to get back into shape. He isnt saying as a player Viduka isnt good enough, he is saying in his current state he isnt and that doesnt mean injury, it means his general fitness.

I think what he is saying is that Viduka is unfit at the moment, if he was on a field tomorrow against Manure he wouldnt get a look in what so ever solely because he is unfit, therefore in his current state he isnt good enough to play against Premier League teams for a Premier League team, to get back to his usual self ie scoring for fun he needs to get back into shape.

So he's saying that every player that isn't 100% fit at the moment through injury can't be classed as being a Premiership standard footballer.

:lol:

Guest optimistic nit

this is getting riddiculous now, my point was not about the relative class of viduka, i am a viduka fan, but of the fact that we need more strikers, when you claim that we need defenders and midfielders more than strikers (we do need all 3, but strikers first imo).

when shearer was injured for a year, you would be pretty wrong to inlcude him in our striking options for that year. viduka wont be back for a while, so i´m not including him in our present striking options until we know when he will be back.

we need another striker, because we cant rely on viduka or owen to be fit for a whole season, in viduka´s case even half a season and we cant rely on smith, ameobi or carroll to score goals.

I think what he is saying is that Viduka is unfit at the moment, if he was on a field tomorrow against Manure he wouldnt get a look in what so ever solely because he is unfit, therefore in his current state he isnt good enough to play against Premier League teams for a Premier League team, to get back to his usual self ie scoring for fun he needs to get back into shape.

So he's saying that every player that isn't 100% fit at the moment through injury can't be classed as being a Premiership standard footballer.

:lol:

Are you saying that a player who cant out run defenders or even play 60 minutes of football because he is too overweight is good enough for one of the best leagues in the world?