Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Middlesbrough To Swoop For Swiss International Barnetta? - Newcastle Also Linked

Reports have been circulating that Premier League club Middlesbrough are preparing to swoop for Swiss International Tranquillo Barnetta from Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkuson.

23-year-old Barnetta joined Leverkusen in 2005 from Swiss team St Gallen and has over 30 caps for the Switzerland National team. Barnetta was one of the few shining lights for the Swiss in EURO 2008 in what was otherwise a disappointing tournament for the co-hosts.

Barnetta is believed to be keen on a move to the Premier League, with the midfielder being valued in the region of £4million (€5.1m), but could face some stiff competition from North East rival Newcastle United, who are also said to be interested in Barnetta.

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/middlesbrough-swoop-swiss-international--5512645.html

Skjelbred is an excellent prospect, but not ready for the PL yet. He's probably one of the biggest talents in norwegian football atm. but that does not necessarily mean that he is going to make it at Newcastle...

I wonder if he could be one of the 3 or 4 Keegan was talking about for the squad?

Guest NorwegianMag

Yes, Skjeldbred is a good talent. Great engine,good technique,nice first touch, good at one-touch-passes, but I think he's TOO lightweight and I actually don't see how is going to fit in our team, nor being a class player in the future.

We need a playmaker!

Guest loonietoonie

bit of topic but what do you think our lineup will be for the start of the season provideing players being fit and other signings?

Guest optimistic nit

All the talk about getting another left back in but we're just as desperate for cover at right back tbh.

Geremi, Taylor or Edgar? :jesuswept:

They're fine as back up.

Are they?

If Beye was to get injured and be out for a few months would people be happy with one of these playing there every week?

we cant sign a new player for every position ffs. right now its about priorities, and i would prefer geremi edgar or taylor playing at right back to zog, edgar or taylor playing at left back. beye is also better than enrique.

we need a left back more than a right back, and we are very unlikely to sign 2 fullbacks this window. i though bassong was a right back as well.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

All the talk about getting another left back in but we're just as desperate for cover at right back tbh.

They're fine as back up.

Are they?

If Beye was to get injured and be out for a few months would people be happy with one of these playing there every week?

we cant sign a new player for every position ffs. right now its about priorities, and i would prefer geremi edgar or taylor playing at right back to zog, edgar or taylor playing at left back. beye is also better than enrique.

we need a left back more than a right back, and we are very unlikely to sign 2 fullbacks this window. i though bassong was a right back as well.

left back.

They're fine as back up.

Are they?

Bassong is CB/LB I think

Personally im not too bothered if we dont sign any more defenders after Coloccini. N'zogbia & Bassong to cover left, Geremi or Taylor right.

Midfield and attack should be priorities at this point.

They're fine as back up.

Are they?

Bassong isn't a right back so you obviously thought wrong.

2 players in each position should be the minimum for a club like us even if it's just a young lad with a view of improving him.

Guest sondre

If Spurs can't come up with enough dough to buy Arshavin, we should try a 20-22 mill bid that might just be enough to lure him here.

I wouldn't mind us taking a dabble on Real Madirds out of favor  Royston Drenthe  with Jonas in front of him & he could bomb on at will from    wing back like he did for Dutch U21's, atm he just lost in the muchness of Madrid. Loan or as signing either way he would please me.

I wouldn't mind us taking a dabble on Real Madirds out of favor  Royston Drenthe  with Jonas in front of him & he could bomb on at will from    wing back like he did for Dutch U21's, atm he just lost in the muchness of Madrid. Loan or as signing either way he would please me.

Any idea how much Madrid paid for him?

Any idea how much Madrid paid for him?

A few sites quoted at about €14 million

Problem is enrique isn't that good.

Stop with your stupid one liners and qualify yourself. 

He established himself in a foreign land at a young age in a struggling team with a change of management halfway through, ok he's not the best in the wolrd but he is better than most in the league.  Would you rather have babyaro still because there is a lack of leftbacks in world football now as coaches train most left footers to be wingers as they are so few and far between.  What would previously have been a left sided centre half are generally coached at leftbacks hense the lack of left sided centre halfs.