Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Gilberto was horrible in the CL match today. Lost the ball loads and didn't do much positive. Lost his ability to accelerate out of a tight spot, or turn quick enough. Back to Brazil soon, I imagine.

He's been like that all season. You could see the change tonight when Flamini went off for him.

How about Ibrahim Afellay from PSV?

http://www1.sport1.nl/images/thumbs/466x347/files/Uploads/1162481065.jpg

Don't know if he has been mentioned on here before but he always looks a good player whenever I see him play, and I would prefere players on their way up rather than people who have done it all before and are on their way down like Riise.

Vincent Kompany.

How has he turned out? Cant say I have seen much of the lad but remember all the hype.

Been injured quite a bit recently I think, but he was very very highly thought of a couple of years back iirc.

Better than what we have from the (limited) times I've seen him.

He has played quite well this season especially since moved into a defensive midfield role. I doubt he would be interested if HSV qualify for the Championsleague though.

Vincent Kompany.

How has he turned out? Cant say I have seen much of the lad but remember all the hype.

Been injured quite a bit recently I think, but he was very very highly thought of a couple of years back iirc.

He has played quite well this season especially since moved into a defensive midfield role. I doubt he would be interested if HSV qualify for the Championsleague though.

:thup:

Who would you liken him to and how much would he cost, in your opinion Wolfy?

Vincent Kompany.

Hmm, who is he like? Difficult. Maybe a younger version Nicky Butt with a touch of Sammeresque elegance in his sweeper role in front of the back four.

HSV paid 8m Euro for him iirc, so I think HSV would try to hold out for something like 8-10m quid. But as I said a lot will depend on where Hamburg is going to finish. But looking at the Bundesliga there are other more realistic possibilities imho. Rolfes from Leverkusen for example.

Vincent Kompany.

Hmm, who is he like? Difficult. Maybe a younger version Nicky Butt with a touch of Sammeresque elegance in his sweeper role in front of the back four.

HSV paid 8m Euro for him iirc, so I think HSV would try to hold out for something like 8-10m quid. But as I said a lot will depend on where Hamburg is going to finish. But looking at the Bundesliga there are other more realistic possibilities imho. Rolfes from Leverkusen for example.

Is he better at CB or DM?

Vincent Kompany.

Is he better at CB or DM?

At DM he has been generally more consistent imho, while he played his best games at CB.

How about Ibrahim Afellay from PSV?

http://www1.sport1.nl/images/thumbs/466x347/files/Uploads/1162481065.jpg

Don't know if he has been mentioned on here before but he always looks a good player whenever I see him play, and I would prefere players on their way up rather than people who have done it all before and are on their way down like Riise.

Very good from what i have seen of him in the uefa cup

I mentioned him earlier this season but now there's much more chance of us snapping him up. He's a quick nifty little attacking midfielder who when on form, can absolutely rip a team to shreds. Pablo Aimar, still pretty young and now playing for relegation-threatened Zaragoza, would be a cheap-ish signing and would undoubtedly make a difference in our team. I'd really like to see us go for him considering Zaragoza will suffer a lot from relegation and even if they stay up, will lose money from not getting European football.

I mentioned him earlier this season but now there's much more chance of us snapping him up. He's a quick nifty little attacking midfielder who when on form, can absolutely rip a team to shreds. Pablo Aimar, still pretty young and now playing for relegation-threatened Zaragoza, would be a cheap-ish signing and would undoubtedly make a difference in our team. I'd really like to see us go for him considering Zaragoza will suffer a lot from relegation and even if they stay up, will lose money from not getting European football.

Of all South Americans/European League players I have ever seen play, I'd say that Aimar is the least suited to playing Premier League football.

I know this is non-NUFC, but surely this is a typo, and there should be a decimal point in there...

"WEST HAM boss Alan Curbishley is planning an £18million raid for Argie striker Mauro Zarate.

Zarate, 21, is on loan at Birmingham from Al-Sadd in Qatar."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article988799.ece

Zarate would cost £2m more than what we paid for Michael Owen, and Barca for Henry?

I know this is non-NUFC, but surely this is a typo, and there should be a decimal point in there...

"WEST HAM boss Alan Curbishley is planning an £18million raid for Argie striker Mauro Zarate.

Zarate would cost £2m more than what we paid for Michael Owen, and Barca for Henry?

Looks decent but 18M is a bit much for someone who has had a few good games in the Prem.  Marcus Stewart looked good for one season and scored a boat load.  You need to see people over a period of time to judge that if once the defenders in the league get used to the way the lad plays, his threat can be nullified.

surprised to see Zaragoza struggling down there with the players they have - likes of Milito, Aimar, Ayala, Luccin etc. Aimar is still quite injury prone mind. I wouldn`t mind us raiding South America for a creative player. I know there`s the issue with work permits but the Argies in particular usually have italian passorts

Looks decent but 18M is a bit much for someone who has had a few good games in the Prem.  Marcus Stewart looked good for one season and scored a boat load.  You need to see people over a period of time to judge that if once the defenders in the league get used to the way the lad plays, his threat can be nullified.

thats what I thought.  He may well be worth £18m in the future, but to jump in with a bid of £18m from what I've seen of him so far seems completely illogical.

Guest GAMMELL

Everton are struggling to agree a fee for Pienaar.

When i've see him he's looked good, anyone else share their thoughts?

We could do a lot worse tbh. I like Niko Kranjcar, looks a good player but 'he iz 1 ov Arry's boys tho innit....'

£2.4m or something n all. Would take him in a heartbeat. Has looked good everytime i've watched him for Everton and I'm sure 1878 has given a good report or two before n all. Quick, creative, two decent feet, can play all along the midfield - get him in.

speaking of Croatians.......what about Darijo Srna? He can play right wing/right back. Great free kick taker and crosser of the ball too and he`s been out of the limelight recently so maybe we can get him fairly cheap.......before the Euros of course where he`ll probably play extremely well and interest in him will be stoked up again

£2.4m or something n all. Would take him in a heartbeat. Has looked good everytime i've watched him for Everton and I'm sure 1878 has given a good report or two before n all. Quick, creative, two decent feet, can play all along the midfield - get him in.

1878 would be livid! Apprently he's been better than Arteta this season.

£2.4 million?! What the hell is going on at Everton????

That is just ridiculous. They've had him on loan and he has performed well for them and become a first team fixture, and he is still pretty young.

And they are refusing to pony up £2.4 million?

That is quite unfortunate for them. Terrible effort.